Planning To Ship Early, But Where

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

I have a 2 year old, Whistling, who won first out this week at Md Claming 35. I looked at the races for him in the short future and there are only stakes races available. I'm probably not going to race until weeks 6 and would like to ship where I'll be racing next. Any way to find out if there are other than stakes races for 2 year old winners in week 6 or where the most racing opportunities will be for this colt? He's at Price is Right Park right now and there doesn't seem to be much there.

Also, any advantage to moving him to a farm for a couple of weeks as opposed to being at the track?

Thanks!!!
*Sugar Bottom Stable
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

The races are duplicated year to year with very minor adjustments. You can scroll through last year's Week 5 or 6 races, do a search for that date, age: 2 year olds, type: NW2 or Allowances. That will let you know what track the race will be at. Make sure it's not a sponsored race, those aren't copied.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Keith, I think there is an advantage to shipping him to a farm. Right now, I think Madrona Ridge would be your best bet, as it's not far from his current location, and it's relatively close to Trial Park, Junior High, and the Pacific Northwest. That, and the free lunch ($0 board) is nice for new players, although truth be told, I think you're a lot more likely to spend money on actual shipping than on board unless you DO know where you want him.

If you have Simperior (which I recommend, if you have something like 5 bucks per month to spend on this game), Premium Park has some 2yo allowance races, at 6 1/2 and 7 furlongs, pop up week 6. If you went that route, I'd recommend Riverstone (Ky, not Germany!).

edit - I see she's a her, not a him. I don't know if that changes anything or not.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

also are there any races for price is right in week 4???
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

Yup. Whistling is a filly or an altered male. :P

Only problem looking at year 19 is that there is only one race day per week but I'll assume those races to be in the same week but could be on Tuesday or Friday. For shipping early this is good for me.

Not too many races for winning two year olds.

Paul, is there a physical difference for the horse, farm vs track boarding? Refresh better???
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Keith Maidlow wrote: Yup. Whistling is a filly or an altered male. :P

Only problem looking at year 19 is that there is only one race day per week but I'll assume those races to be in the same week but could be on Tuesday or Friday. For shipping early this is good for me.

Not too many races for winning two year olds.

Paul, is there a physical difference for the horse, farm vs track boarding? Refresh better???
My current thinking is that if a horse is on a 3 week schedule, it's best to have them spend 2 weeks at a farm and ship about a week before the race. People seem to be divided over whether or not a week at the farm is worth the shipping fatigue for a horse that's going to race 2 weeks apart.

Many, including the Steward, have said that farm rest is better than track rest in terms of recovery time. That's not as much an issue for an older horse, but I'd say for a 2yo, it's definitely best to keep them at a farm as much as possible.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews