El Alamein

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Morgan Jarvis
Miler

Post by Morgan Jarvis »

Hi, any advice on this horse of mine, <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=24831' target='_blank'>El Alamein</a>, would be greatly appreciated.

I was fortunate enough to get gifted this horse as a new player last season (many thanks to Jamie Newton). He is clearly a pretty nice horse (for a new player, anyway), although maybe I set my expectations a little high when he won a $60k Stakes race in his first start for me. But I feel like I just haven't been able to get the best out of him since.

As you will notice, he is still an entire. I feel like I should probably geld him - however this is a decision I don't want to take lightly. I understand that his current record is not good enough to stand as a stallion; however, I don't understand the "family lines" well enough to know if he could perhaps be a star at 5/6/7 years old, or if I am running him in unsuitable races, so I just wanted to make sure that I was making the right decision.

The other thing you will note, is that I just can't quite figure out what distance he prefers. He seems to go solidly well at any distance, without me being able to nail what he really likes. You'll also note I've been playing around with his equipment a bit - I think I've finally got that sorted, but again any advice is appreciated.

Please let me know what you think - I will take any feedback on board. Please understand, it's not every day that a (relatively) new player gets the chance to own and race a nice horse like this, so I want to make the most of it :) Thanks!
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Nice horse!
Just from a quick glance, I'd say keep him around a mileish, maybe a tad longer, and he should be able to be successful at Junior High. The family can produce sprinters, but I'm pretty sure he'd rather go at least a flat mile.

And pick your spots carefully. :) Like I said, he should do well at Junior High or in light open stakes company.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

He's a very nice horse. The horse that beat you last out (Slipping Away) is mine, and he can be very good if I spot him correctly. Actually, he's a pretty good horse with a borderline incompetent trainer (me).

Like Laura said, I'd shorten him just a bit, maybe keep him 7 furlongs to 1 1/16 and see how he does there. And watch your placements. Sometimes those Jr high races come up pretty tough and an easier allowance or state bred stakes will be easier.

Good luck!
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Morgan Jarvis
Miler

Post by Morgan Jarvis »

Thanks for the replies. Although I noticed neither of you mentioned anything in regards to gelding? ;)
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Tough call. If he can show that he's capable in open stakes, he might be worth a shot as a stallion -- but, that said, I'm not sure that he can hold his own against the kind of competition that would make him a desirable stud. Thanks to the 'Zapper and Desert Warrior, there are several Deputy Minister-line horses at stud (and soon to be at stud) that are more appealing in terms of racing class than what El Alamein has shown so far.

He does have a good family behind him...but in terms of moneymaking potential, I'd say that he'll probably make more cash on the track than he would in the shed.

If you plan to cut him, I wouldn't do it just yet. Keep it in mind as an option, though.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.