How are you

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: How are you

Post by Laura Smith »

As some of you know, I'm in the food/restaurant industry, which is in big trouble right now. All dine-in food service here has been mandated closed here for... two weeks now? I'm grateful to still be working, for the time being, as the bakery I'm at is mostly takeout anyway, and it's such a small operation that we're able to keep our distance while at work...

Very concerned for the restaurant industry when the smoke clears after all this. Small independent restaurants operate on razor-thin margins at best. For the great majority of those, doing takeout or delivery is either not an option or so obviously unprofitable that there's no point in trying. Rent is due tomorrow (maybe upwards of $20k in Toronto) and if you have had zero income for two weeks, had payroll go out last week, have outstanding invoices for product that you can't sell, and still have to pay your other overhead... things look pretty grim. It'll be hard to watch if big businesses like airlines receive bailouts while small businesses like these, that are at the heart of the personalities of cities and towns all over North America and the world, flounder.

Most people that I see out and about in the small city where I live and small town where I work are being reasonably respectful of distancing, though I can already see frustration building as the boredom builds. Plenty of people are still acting as if this whole thing just doesn't apply to them, though, and that scares me. There is some sense here that "it's not really here yet" or "it's just in the hospitals and retirement homes" which I think is absolutely delusional.

Just trying to stay healthy and away from other people as much as possible. Wishing the same for all of you.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Lockdown feels pretty weird here, but there’s still plenty of people going to work etc because they have to. As a teacher, I’m part of a rota for a hub school to look after children of key workers (NHS staff priority). The stocks in shops have got a bit better now, but as with everyone, there’s a bunch of people who think it doesn’t apply to them and don’t follow the rules. Now the police have the powers, I hope they get what they deserve!
Thinking of everyone at this time- stay safe, stay indoors.

Thoughts also to those of you with unwell family members at this time and the complications this wretched virus is bringing to an already difficult time.
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

Polk and me are living in Sweden. In a country of 9 million ppl, we have 146 dead from the corona-virus. Most of them in Stockholm, but some here on the westcoast too. Sweden stands out a bit when it comes to restrictions. The schools for children up to 15 y old are open, and so are the daycare for smaller children. Business as usual, but it's not allowed to have official meetings in larger groups (limit 50 persons). But all shops, supermarket, hairdressers, restaurants (not buffe-style) etc are open.

There is a strict rule against snotty children at daycare at the moment, so I was home with Linus one week, but he is back now. I had a sore throat for 2 days and was of course at home. Niklas (Polk) had slight temperature and cough and was home last week. Have no idea if that was corona or not. Probably we caught Linus cold... But the problem in Sweden is- we have no idea how many are infected - they only test the severe ones that have to go to the hospital for care. Crazy, especially since Niklas work as a primary care doctor.

We are both back to work. Niklas work a lot (and I suspect he will work even more and perhaps get called in at the hospital). I also have a lot to do. Lot's of horses needing veterinary care, and since I go out in the stables I have a lot to do.

I help my parents a lot to. They are not allowed to leave their house... My dad is 80 y old and take glukocorticoids, and my mum is 79 with diabetes type I. They can NOT be infected...

We are a bit concerned for other things though. I know the most important thing is obviously that this pandemic calms down and save lives. But for us, it is a pretty big roadbump. We are trying to get pregnant, and were doing IVF in St Petersburgh, Russia. We were just about to go for our 3:rd trip and embryotransfer last week. But of course, Russia shut down the borders and our government advise not to go abroad at all right now. So here I am- hormones up over my ears and the only thing we could do were to stop. I'm feeling like *. And I'm emotional from all the hormones and SOOO tired. I can sleep 12 hours and still be tired. Businesswise- I had already cancelled a lot of my patients, but fortunately I could book more in. At least as many as I can cope when I'm so tired. And in all this I have to restart all of the hormones again, but we don't know when just yet. Preliminary booked in june, but I'm a pessimist. I don't think the pandemic and chaos are solved in june...

On the good note- the weather is really beautiful and it's spring. We live on the countryside by the sea. We can really enjoy the outdoors!

PS! We have tons of toiletpaper in our stores... DS!
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Laura Smith wrote: 4 years ago As some of you know, I'm in the food/restaurant industry, which is in big trouble right now. All dine-in food service here has been mandated closed here for... two weeks now? I'm grateful to still be working, for the time being, as the bakery I'm at is mostly takeout anyway, and it's such a small operation that we're able to keep our distance while at work...

Very concerned for the restaurant industry when the smoke clears after all this. Small independent restaurants operate on razor-thin margins at best. For the great majority of those, doing takeout or delivery is either not an option or so obviously unprofitable that there's no point in trying. Rent is due tomorrow (maybe upwards of $20k in Toronto) and if you have had zero income for two weeks, had payroll go out last week, have outstanding invoices for product that you can't sell, and still have to pay your other overhead... things look pretty grim. It'll be hard to watch if big businesses like airlines receive bailouts while small businesses like these, that are at the heart of the personalities of cities and towns all over North America and the world, flounder.

Most people that I see out and about in the small city where I live and small town where I work are being reasonably respectful of distancing, though I can already see frustration building as the boredom builds. Plenty of people are still acting as if this whole thing just doesn't apply to them, though, and that scares me. There is some sense here that "it's not really here yet" or "it's just in the hospitals and retirement homes" which I think is absolutely delusional.

Just trying to stay healthy and away from other people as much as possible. Wishing the same for all of you.
The governor here in Nebraska signed a proclamation designating Tuesday's as "Take Out Tuesday's." To help support local eateries! If you were in my neck of the woods, I'd certainly patronize your place of employment as I'm sure many of us would! :)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Idaho, as of March 25 was ordered into 'Stay At Home' status....which isn't full lockdown.

I had to go get dog food from the store on Saturday, my sister met me there, as she helps me lift heavier items - and even though I had an almost full box of kitty litter at home, I also ended up getting a 25 pound box of cat litter too, since I had her there to help.

My town is so small, with barely any traffic, so driving through it... it didn't seem like much changed with most people being ordered to stay home. :P However, it was weird seeing closed signs on a number of the business's as I drove through town.

I also haven't seen toilet paper in the stores here for about 4 weeks now. Fortunately, I have two bathrooms and usually keep 6 rolls in each...and I had just bought some for each bathroom before all this started. My sister, though...ended up taking 2 of them...in payment for helping me get almost a 40 lb bag of dog food off the shelf and into the cart, then the car, and finally into my home...along with that 25 pound box of kitty litter. lol.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

There was a small business broken into several days ago.

The only items missing were 24 rolls of toilet paper!

Not true!

Or is it?
Kenneth Prater
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kenneth Prater »

Flizan Hambletonian wrote: 4 years ago Polk and me are living in Sweden. In a country of 9 million ppl, we have 146 dead from the corona-virus. Most of them in Stockholm, but some here on the westcoast too. Sweden stands out a bit when it comes to restrictions. The schools for children up to 15 y old are open, and so are the daycare for smaller children. Business as usual, but it's not allowed to have official meetings in larger groups (limit 50 persons). But all shops, supermarket, hairdressers, restaurants (not buffe-style) etc are open.

There is a strict rule against snotty children at daycare at the moment, so I was home with Linus one week, but he is back now. I had a sore throat for 2 days and was of course at home. Niklas (Polk) had slight temperature and cough and was home last week. Have no idea if that was corona or not. Probably we caught Linus cold... But the problem in Sweden is- we have no idea how many are infected - they only test the severe ones that have to go to the hospital for care. Crazy, especially since Niklas work as a primary care doctor.

We are both back to work. Niklas work a lot (and I suspect he will work even more and perhaps get called in at the hospital). I also have a lot to do. Lot's of horses needing veterinary care, and since I go out in the stables I have a lot to do.

I help my parents a lot to. They are not allowed to leave their house... My dad is 80 y old and take glukocorticoids, and my mum is 79 with diabetes type I. They can NOT be infected...

We are a bit concerned for other things though. I know the most important thing is obviously that this pandemic calms down and save lives. But for us, it is a pretty big roadbump. We are trying to get pregnant, and were doing IVF in St Petersburgh, Russia. We were just about to go for our 3:rd trip and embryotransfer last week. But of course, Russia shut down the borders and our government advise not to go abroad at all right now. So here I am- hormones up over my ears and the only thing we could do were to stop. I'm feeling like *. And I'm emotional from all the hormones and SOOO tired. I can sleep 12 hours and still be tired. Businesswise- I had already cancelled a lot of my patients, but fortunately I could book more in. At least as many as I can cope when I'm so tired. And in all this I have to restart all of the hormones again, but we don't know when just yet. Preliminary booked in june, but I'm a pessimist. I don't think the pandemic and chaos are solved in june...

On the good note- the weather is really beautiful and it's spring. We live on the countryside by the sea. We can really enjoy the outdoors!

PS! We have tons of toiletpaper in our stores... DS!
You two look like a happy couple! Sweden would be great to visit!
Erin Erskine
Miler

Post by Erin Erskine »

I'm in Kentucky at the moment (short term), there's a stay home status here, I'm pretty sure. I'm working in a Equine Hospital so I'm an essential worker, and thankfully nobody has fallen sick yet at work. We of course have guidelines for pickup/drop off. Visitation is cancelled. We struggle with plenty of shortages, particularly in personal protective equipment. All non-essential businesses are closed, food businesses are only take out or delivery and grocery stores and pharmacies remain open.

It's complete lockdown at home in Ireland, which has about 2,500 cases. So, my family are thankfully all well. You cant be further than 2km outside your home, unless it's essential - such as food shopping, essential working, etc.
Brian Chunn
Miler

Post by Brian Chunn »

First and foremost fellow simsters stay safe,these are strange times indeed! I live in a small village (Lambourn) and have to say the community spirit here has been fantastic,we have 2 (small) supermarkets,a butchers,a hardware store and a pharmacist and they have worked hard to keep us supplied with the essentials,also local pubs,farms,market traders have popped up with delivery schemes and are not exploiting the situation by raising prices,so kudos to them. So I spend my time failing miserably in the sim,fairing a bit better in Football Manager and alternatively watching tv/listening to music,hope fully we will see a light at the end of the tunnel soon.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Today I officially start working from home. Been with my company 14yrs and I never thought I would see this day! But I'm glad they are being as cautious as possible. On the up side I loved the extra hour of sleep I got before my body woke me up like OMGGG you are late! lol Also loving the fact that I will be able to Sim at work now! My fake horses will appreciate it I'm sure. ;)
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

I do have a dear friend in Texas who needs cancer surgery and merely getting it scheduled is turning into a big ordeal. (They're talking about road blocks between counties in that state.)
Responding to my own post -- my friend had a kidney removed on Monday, as it had a cancerous tumor. Everything went well and there's some thought that she might be able to go home today. So, good to know that even in the midst of a pandemic, good medical outcomes can still happen. :)
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

That is wonderful news Regina :)
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Post by Noel Collins »

I’m in Minnesota in the Minneapolis area. If your a sports fan I can see where the failings play if I drive a few blocks. Downtown Minneapolis is in my skyline and the University of Minnesota Football stadium is within my view at work. Row the boat!

A two weeks ago I was told I would be furloughed for 2-3 weeks. The next day they changed that to 2-3 months. Our company chose to close all its stores even to pick up orders when this started. Nationwide, closed. It was responsible but hit the sales hard. I work in display production and design. I wield the power tools that make the balloon displays pretty. When the stores closed we stopped the rollout and production of the new displays. There’s no one there to install them and we can’t morally send crews in to do the work. So we furloughed til we are reopened and people are wanting to gather and celebrate nondigitally again.

I miss my coworkers. I miss throwing on my headphones while building stuff and listening to national public radio and sci fi audiobooks. I have learned this last week I really really love my alone time at work. This week I started cleaning and organizing my garage into a home studio/workshop so I can demo and renovate parts of the house while I’m home.

My oldest girl is in college. She came home with her cat for spring break almost a month ago and hasn’t gone back. Her cat and our cat hate each other. Our cat thinks he is a dog that hates cats so it’s quite understandable and her cat is a berserker fighter when he sees other cats, last night he escaped and we had a 2 am cat fight that ranged through our entire house. Our cat also took out his anger on all three of our very confused and entertained dogs. So my daughter is in a hands on program for aviation mechanics. They are attempting to continue the program online. It’s been entertaining to listen to her class sessions. My other daughter is 14 and already went to school online. Not a big change for her though her AAU Basketball season looks to be off.

On a bright note. I have not worn jeans in a week and am loving life in leggings and sweats. A couple of my coworkers and I talk every other day along with my out of town friends. I take a dog for a two hour walk almost daily. Soon my wood shop will be up and running and I can keep rolling out the rolling pins and butcher block. I will also be moving in the kick wheel and hopefully kiln. I’m going to get some good crafting time in and am putting my quilting skills to use making masks. My husband is essential since he is a school janitor and boiler operator.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

The year is 2032, and those of us left haven't been out of our homes in a dozen years.

Rumors abound that the threat of the COVID-19 virus is no longer.

But as yet no one has issued an ALL CLEAR bulletin allowing us to leave our sequestered existence!
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Gwayne Mike wrote: 4 years ago The year is 2032, and those of us left haven't been out of our homes in a dozen years.

Rumors abound that the threat of the COVID-19 virus is no longer.

But as yet no one has issued an ALL CLEAR bulletin allowing us to leave our sequestered existence!
Sure feels like it! Only months more to go 😭
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt