Placement And Purchase Question

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Don McIntosh
Sprinter

Post by Don McIntosh »

Hi, I have been here for a week and have be trying to learn as much as possible from reading the forum. There is a lot of great information here but I do have a couple of questions. I have read the newbie guides but am still not sure when or where is the best place to purchase a horse. Is it better to look through the claiming races or the purchase page? Is there anything that I should look for or ignore, like workout times?

I am trying to decide which race to place this horse. <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=34587' target='_blank'>http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php ... D=34587</a>
The Trial park race has an easier field except for one horse. The claiming race has an overall better field but I think he has a better chance of winning in that race.

Thanks,
Don
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

hello and welcome

I wish when I started that I would have looked through claiming, although one would have to wait for 3 weeks rest period for them to race again, although the same might be true for the sales page as well

sales page, look for good deals, don't just look at sales page and look at price and say click buy, look at the horse's page to see if they are worth it

being a newbie you have the newbies sales page, where all the horses will be priced 10,000 or under, look at horses page you for example may not want to get stuck with a maiden steeplechaser, especially if they had been finishing near the back of the field, look for horses put on there from Alexandra jaysman, although again stay away from the maiden steeplechasers, unless that is you want to take that chance, the horses that Alex Jaysman puts on there come from inactive sales, so if you do your research(one of the best to ask of this is Chris Briggs) you can find many a deal

claiming races, I would look at the cheaper ones, at least until you get a bank roll going, sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough there too

workouts I would maybe not ignore, however, I do caution that it sometimes will not tell you how they will do in a race, I use races more of a guide to how they will do, some could be morning glories and do real good in work outs yet real bad in races, and some that do bad in work outs that do good in races and so on

for that horse, for me I always think is this spot good for this horse, sometimes I am right while other times the horse proves me wrong, if you feel he would be better in the claiming race I would go in there, and if he is claimed then that is more money in your pocket

with the trial park race if no one else enters you are at least guaranteed (sp) 5th place money which is not too much but it is some

hopefully someone else can help you more but welcome to the game
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Don McIntosh
Sprinter

Post by Don McIntosh »

Thank you Steph. I decided to go with the Trial Park race.

Don
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

you are welcome

also never hesitate to ask any questions

best of luck
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

Don,
I'm almost at the end of my newbie status and I've tried it all, sales page, claiming, auctions. What I'm looking at right now are two year old claimers that might be in for a check and under valued. Most will only have one start and you might be able to see something (i.e. bad start, raced at a high level before, going short with distance in the genes)that can be improved. It'll take some time but look a what the mom and dad did and see if you think there could be improvement. Also check out the workouts, each two year old needs to have two to start.

I'll look at races that need filling (less than four horses) and will buy and ship to try and cash an easy check. Don't pay more than a couple of grand and if they are maidens make sure they are close once in awhile. Also make sure they fit the race conditions.

I stay away from steeplechases so if you don't want one of them make sure to check before buying. I lot of older geldings with lots of earnings will be chasers.

Hope that help.
Keith
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Welcome, Don.

The best advice I can give you is don't expect to do much the first few weeks here. Keep an eye on the new player sales page, and stay active on the forums those first few weeks. Focus on learning the game, as there is quite a learning curve.

Also, read over as many "Feature Race" articles you can, and as much of the forum as you can. <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/featurera ... icleID=647' target='_blank'>This is an especially good one for new players.</a> <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/featurera ... icleID=648' target='_blank'>Here's part two.</a> If you like to write, and can invest some time, writing articles - like race previews, or recaps, or lineage studies - can help you both financially (25k for a 500 word article) and with the knowledge a little focused research brings.

Anyway, welcome, and do check in often, even if you think the question has been asked before (it probably has) we'll still try to set you straight! B)

Good luck!
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Don McIntosh
Sprinter

Post by Don McIntosh »

I just wanted to say thank you everyone for the the help and gifts. They are much appreciated.

Don