Couple of Questions

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rowdy Yates
Two Year Old

Post by Rowdy Yates »

#1 Does there need to be a layoff time after gelding a horse in the SIM?

#2 What are the Pro's/Con's with gelding in the SIM

#3 Does it affect the horse if you accidently move him to the wrong track then move him again?

#4 If you retire a colt does he then become able to stand as a stallion? or are there other things you have to do?

Thanks,
Rowdy
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

1) To my knowledge, the SIM doesn't handle gelding as any sort of a medical procedure requiring a layoff. The time required in real life, to my knowledge, is minimal anyway, and the SIM treats it the same way. No time off required.

2) The obvious downside to gelding is that the horse can never reproduce. For a horse that is already well behaved and (from what you can gather from running lines) properly focused, gelding isn't necessarily the first thing that I'd think of to improve his performance, but it definitely should help for horses that are a little bit crazy. You'll be able to tell from the running lines, often times. A current example of a horse that would benefit greatly from gelding, but stands to perhaps lose more than its worth, as he's a brilliant breeding prospect, is Stop and Stare, who savaged an opponent recently. Finally, and horse that just seems like a bad horse should be gelded. Its a last-ditch opportunity to get him to perform, plus it insures that he won't ever be bred, which is often the best-case scenario with many terrible horses.

3) As long as the horse doesn't RACE at the track, I don't think that it will affect the horse, but I'm not *sure* of that. That's something that Emily would have to answer, but I believe that from the game's standpont, any moves that you make between raceday are, in a sense, imaginary. They become real when they're processed on raceday. So if raceday is a Friday, and your horse is at Belmont, the computer thinks the horse is at Belmont. To the best of my knowledge (and anyone else, if you know differently, correct me), if you ship your horse in the interim from Belmont to Japan to California to Florida to Kentucky and back to Belmont where he races again, I don't *think* that the computer recognizes that. He is treated as having been at Belmont the week before and there again this week. Now that money is automated and updated live, however, you may be CHARGED for all those moves. That isnt something I'm sure of.

The other side of that is that if you ship to a farm, you must LEAVE him there for at least one raceday, or it won't do anything. The computer needs to recognize that he's there.

4) If you retire a colt, his page will show a box for the stud fee and a button to click "modify stud fee." All you need to do is write a stud fee into that box and hit the button and then he'll be listed along with the other stallions.
Rowdy Yates
Two Year Old

Post by Rowdy Yates »

Thanks Eric...those were the answers I was needing.

Rowdy
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

Sort of hitchhiking this thread, but I have a question that's similar to the ones already posted on here. If you put a colt up for stud, is there any way to take him down without pensioning him?
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Yes, if you enter the amount "0" in the "stud fee" box, he'll be taken off of stud duties. However, if you do that, you can't breed to him either. I raised Atlas's stud fee to $500,000 to effectively take him off stud duty while still allowing me to breed to him if I choose.
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Ok.. I'll scratch THAT name off of Change the Stars' list of suitors, then...
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Which name?
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Atlas, if he's no longer on the books. Change is a freak and has a filly by him, but I was thinking of doing a colt in year 17.
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Atlas isn't on the books for THIS year (unless you want to pay the $500k fee). I still haven't made a decision for next year. Even if I close his book for next year I'll probably make exceptions for certain mares.

But you already have an Atlas foal from Change the Stars, why not try someone else?
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

I'm always looking down the road.. I see that I had already written down Faith Justified for next year.. silly me
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Oooh that's cute! You should name the baby "Change Your Faith" lol! I need to send a mare to him too.
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Squeals! I'm not telling Faith just yet, because he'll get all excited.

I like Conversion or Convert.