Another Newbie Looking For Help!

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Daniel Carrier
Two Year Old

Post by Daniel Carrier »

Hi everyone, I can't believe I just stumbled on this!!! I've been looking for a sim like this for awhile and this is just incredible. I've been reading through the forum and everyone looks very nice and helpful so I can't wait to get to know everybody! I've read through the walk-through but there's so much information, and I'm definitely still lost. I am trying to get the most out of this and do well so if anyone has any advice, please let me know! Can't wait to get in there and start racing with you all! Thanks, Danny
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

I'll start with this.

1. Don't buy maiden steeplechasers
2. Don't overrace horses (one race out of every three weeks till you figure things out.)
3. Do post questions here, even if they seem stupid. We don't tire of them.
4. Find my interview (A Randall Conversation with Stephen Skaggs) on the Feature Race. I think someone linked to it recently. Read it and absorb it :)
5. Get to know us. We don't bite. Much.
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Welcome Danny, you're quite lucky to have stumbled here.

A few, random thoughts for you:
1) Take advantage of the Newbie Sales Page, and try to avoid purchasing maiden steeplechasers there.
2) Ask questions here, folks will be happy to help.
3) Use Trial Park as often as possible.
4) Watch the Contest thread for chances at free horses, I believe there is something there right now from Laura Ferguson! ;)
5) Did I mention to ask questions?

And have fun.......

Good Luck
Leonard Beagle
Inca Stables
Eclipse Champion

Post by Inca Stables »

Daniel

Welcome, and hopefully you will continue to enjoy the game,

My biggest piece of advice is concentrate on racing, do not try the breeding game yet, master little things in this game, then it does not seem like as much.

Always remember to ask questions and listen, you will be given so much great advice, join the chat room on Fridays during results, their are giveaways there to.

Miryam
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

Oh i forgot!

buy runners ages 2-4 first. Get yearlings after you are already racing enough and can afford to wait a few months for a 1 year old to be ready to make you $.
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

The Randall Conversation...

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/featurera ... icleID=647' target='_blank'>Part I</a>

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/featurera ... icleID=648' target='_blank'>Part II</a>

I wish I read this as soon as I got here. That was a great contribution, Scott (and Stephen).

Welcome, Daniel! Take it slow, and enjoy the ride!
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Someone get this guy some horses!!!!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

The Steward wrote: Someone get this guy some horses!!!!
Already did. ;)
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

^^^what they all said.

Welcome Danny.
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

Daniel,
Welcome. What everyone else said so far and...

I looked at your horses and you need to know that two year olds need two works before they can run. So Downtown Seattle needs another work but wait until week 9 to work then run around week 13. The work is on turf so assume he's turf, but you can see that from is pedigree.

I like colts first although fillies are valued more here and gelding only if they have a proven record.

You have a couple of horse that are already showing they are only claimers. Look for some > claimers with a win or close to winning so you can see where they seem to run best. Then you always have claiming to fall back on. I'd stay away from unplaced horses unless you see something no one else has seen (rare).

If you like to write at all you can write articles for 25,000 SIM dollars per 500 words. Most of my early funding came from writing aricles (probably 500K or more). Your not going to get much in the way of purse money for awhile so this is a good way to get some.

Come to the Forum, read articles, and join race night chats if you can. The more friends you have the more chance you'll hear something that will help.

This is a great group of people. Have a great time. I've been here since the end of June and its been a fun trip every step of the way.
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

I sent him two nice potential 2yo routers and he declined them ! lol.. I think (hope) it was a mistake.
Janie Jackson
Eclipse Champion

Post by Janie Jackson »

I've sent you a horse! Good Luck and like everyone else said, don't be afraid to ask questions!
Standing:
Passer: 20k(thoroughbred)
Pace On: 20k (pacer) SIMMY winner
Luck Now: 14k (pacer)
Zamil: 8k (arabian)
Hemingway: 8k (thoroughbred) SIMMY winner
Zimm's Gambler: 3k (appaloosa) SIMMY winner
Mr. Cellophane: 3k (quarter horse)
Foxed Knocks: 3k (trotter)
Zimm's Jolly Jim: 3k (appaloosa)
Emma Lochran
Hall of Fame

Post by Emma Lochran »

Welcome Daniel, and good luck :)
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Gary Cooper wrote: I sent him two nice potential 2yo routers and he declined them ! lol.. I think (hope) it was a mistake.
he might have already gotten his 5 horses for the day.
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

I sent him two nice potential 2yo routers and he declined them ! lol.. I think (hope) it was a mistake.
Send them to me, I never turn anything down. ;)
The Randall Conversation...
I wish I read this as soon as I got here. That was a great contribution, Scott (and Stephen).
Me too. After reading the article I was entered in a race where Stephen had the best horse in the field entered and another, but the better horse had run the week before. He scratched him and though I didn't win the race I stayed in the short field and collected a good check. B)

I sent one too. Cheap but a good example of what I look for when buying.
*Sugar Bottom Stable