Not Another One...

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

I suppose I should introduce myself! ^_^
I accidental found the site via deviantArt and now I'm hooked. I've always loved horses and racing, but unfortunately I had neither familial or monetary support for my favorite hobby. :( Needless to say, it's a delight to be involved in this kind of community!
I joined just a couple of days ago, but since I've spent so much time wandering and spending I feel that I've learned the "basics". Now I'm just waiting to see if my purchases were gold or flunks. Hopefully the former.
Right now I have a few 2 yrs and one older racehorse, as well as a few foals and broodmares. Yes, I got carried away at first; but I'm trying my best to rein myself in and be patient. Most of the horses I aquired were cheap, but I felt they had potential and I could turn them around. A few I thought were being raced in the completely wrong category (i.e. great long distance turf pedigree being run on short distance dirt) so hopefully they'll prove me right and make me some money. At this point, my goals are to start bringing in a steady stream of cash with less-income horses than go all out and try getting a good quality stakes horse. They're one in a million, and I'd rather not blow all my income at the beginning (see? patience! :D ).
That being said, I'm completely open to any kind of feedback! Please send me advice, comments or helpful tips about anything! I'm getting better at picking out races, but any ideas are appreciated!

Here's a list of my current racehorses:
<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=40114' target='_blank'>Battle Honor</a>
<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=38051' target='_blank'>Bluegrass Million</a>
<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=36260' target='_blank'>Gold Leroid</a>
<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=36505' target='_blank'>Grey White</a>
<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=30009' target='_blank'>Soul Music</a>
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

Welcome Madelene and Rachel (getting both my welcomes taken care of in one swoop here).

Madelene you seems to have a good grasp so far and all I can really recommend is that you race your North American-based horses at Trial Park as it's a newbie-only track.

Glad to have you both aboard.
Lee Key Shipyard
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Lee Key Shipyard »

Welcome Madelene!

Instead of starting another newbie intro thread I just go ahead an introduce myself here. I'm not a brand spanking shiny newbie. Soon, I'll be losing my newbie status to graduate to junior player. I finally decided to join in on the sim forum fun. So, Hi Everyone!
Paints:
Jiggery Pokery -$10,000
Pontiac Chieftain, Moonfly - $7500

Appys:
Oliver Lives On -$2500

Steeplechase:
Stanley, Clouseau - $5000
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

Lee Key Shipyard wrote: Welcome Madelene!

Instead of starting another newbie intro thread I just go ahead an introduce myself here. I'm not a brand spanking shiny newbie. Soon, I'll be losing my newbie status to graduate to junior player. I finally decided to join in on the sim forum fun. So, Hi Everyone!
and obviously a Dr Who fan to boot...
I'm just here for the fun of it
Lisa Strummer
Hall of Fame

Post by Lisa Strummer »

Welcome to The SIM!!! Have lots of fun!
That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.-Bryan Doolittle
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Welcome, both of you! :)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes and a couple of surprise "gifts"! One gelding actually placed 3rd for me today, so I'm really excited! :lol:
I also have a question about one of my colts. He finished 8th in his first race today, and I have no idea what to do with him next. His pedigree has some great horses, but it's kind of a mix/toss-up. His workouts suggested dirt sprints or turf routes. Right now, I'm thinking a claiming race, 1 mile on turf would be next on the list. Any ideas? :D
<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=36505' target='_blank'>Grey White</a>
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Madelene Gilbert wrote: Any ideas? :D
Madelene, first thing I'd do is start his long trip to Trial Park!
Ian Nicastrin
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Ian Nicastrin »

Yay for dA snagging us new players... I'm curious whoose profile you saw... Dave's (ekawa?) perhaps. Welcome.

~I
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Yep! It was Dave's. I love his artwork--so realistic! And it's really cool to see how well he's improved the horse pictures over time. lol. :D

As for my horse, Grey White, I'm going to send him to Trial Park and race again in another 3 to 4 weeks. But I have no idea if I should race him again on a dirt sprint or switch to a turf route. :unsure:
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

My take is, Chief Seattle throws mostly dirt, but the dam, with Soviet Star and Duskinthemeadow, doesn't produce much dirt ability. Judging by his workout times, this is probably one of the slightly "surface confused" fellas, who won't be a star on either, but will definitely favor turf.

At two furlongs, the average benchmarks are probably about 23 seconds for dirt and 23.5 for turf. At 5 furlongs up, the average dirt time is "usually about a second faster than the average turf time for a horse that doesn't prefer one surface over the other. As you can see, his 7 furlong workouts show you the opposite - so he's almost definitely going to like turf better. If he can route, his turf works aren't discouraging at all. I'd try to get him in at a mile on the turf around week 10 or 11 at Trial Park, or one of the northern claimers.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

I expected as much. Thanks for backing up my intuition. :)