Triple Crown Trail

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

I just looked at the standings for the TC Trail contest and the leaders are Eric Nalbone and Jon Xett. I'm not on the board and part of that could be I didn't know that much at the time (still don't probably).

Here is my problem. I have Jon Xett's Big Dreams as one of my picks. Jon has not run the filly in any TC Trail races and I think I saw somewhere he said he'd never run her against the boys (I may be wrong with that but that doesn't matter). Jon has known that from day 1, I didn't know that until recently. Shouldn't we have been allowed to know that too? If I had known she was not running I would have had another horse in my pool of picks (probably still wouldn't be very high on the leader board but...).

I know Jon and Eric have bigger concerns than winning a contest, but there is a distinct advantage to having a stable full of TC runners and knowing if they are considering Trail races.

There are others who have horses in Trail races and I do think that's an advantage.

Anyhow. Not going crazy on this, it's just an observation.
*Sugar Bottom Stable
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Actually, in Jon's defense, when people started posting their picks BEFORE it closed, he stated he would NOT be running his filly.

If you do a search you can find it.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

I asked a few people for an opinion on whether I should play the contest at all, and I decided that I would, but here's a better question.

How do you decide who gets to play and who doesn't? Any three year old can be nominated to the Triple Crown. Do you eliminate any trainer with a nominated three year old? Any trainer with a three year old at all, since any or all of them can mess with a race and affect the points?

Thats a pretty big can of worms to open, in my opinion. Further, it's not like any of us set out in Week 1 saying "I'm going to rig the TC Trail by running horses X, Y, and Z but not horsees A and B." I know that most trainers with multiple entries try to spread their horses out and try to win the Derby. Just pick the horses that you think will win the Derby.

In the specific case of Big Dreams, the "Tips for Picking Your 8 Horses" contains a pretty clear warning that fillies are a bad selection, "Be wary of fillies: While some fillies may run in the Triple Crown, they rarely run in prep races against males."
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

'Nough said. I debated about posting and the wrong side got the upper hand. I'm not a sour grapes kinda guy and I agree with Eric where is the cutoff point and I think everyone should play. The Steward can close this if she likes (if I can I don't know how). Moving forward let the games continue.

THANKS!!!
*Sugar Bottom Stable