What is Your Occupation?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

What is your occupation?

Full time
55%
Half time
3%
Part Time
5%
Unemployed
1%
Sick leave
3%
Student
3%
Retired/Pensioned
22%
Other
8%

Total votes: 74

John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Re: What is Your Occupation?

Post by John Smith »

Eric Gray wrote: 10 months ago
John Smith wrote: 10 months ago
Eric Gray wrote: 10 months ago Full time middle school teacher. 30.904 years. Not that I’m counting or anything. Of course it’s summer break so currently full time sim racing trainer.
What an accomplishment! dude, take the retirement! I wish I could - first inclination of giving me money for not showing up and I am taking it - but apparently you have to do this for 20 years - in one state only for it to work that way... I have been 3 states, 4 if you count Bay Area, CA different than So. Cal...2 different countries - not good for the pension at least. I might can get away with 7-8 more years, but 10 - 12 if they wont count my other state years... lowering teacher retirement age would go a long ways in retaining and recruiting teachers. Hell, I say just give us Police retirement and we good.
I hear you. Here in Ohio, the state pension system screwed us over. I should have been able to retire with full benefits after the year I just completed. However, after quite a bit of mismanagement, they changed the rules and if you couldn't get out by 2015, you were stuck. You would have thought they would have grandfathered us with 20+ years in. Anyway, as it is, I've got 3 years and (UGH) 18 days. I will have to come back for 18 days at the start of the 26-27 school year. Hopefully, I can get through these next 3+ years and ride off into the sunset.
I see similar across states I have taught and pretty much all states it seems... it is criminal what "they," do to pensions/entitlements. One puts into these things and then they chop off the back end by either extending work or reducing pay outs - austerity (Thatcherism) is to blame. Lack of number sense from the public is all I know of how they keep chipping away at it with no consequence. Goldman Sachs has won every election since 1980!

Anyway, 3 years and especially the 18 days must seem like the edge of reality in this climate. For me, at least 10 more :( - an eternity - unless they can do something about merging my previous states years of service, but I will still be held hostage by age! so at best 8 years if they will somehow allow other states years of service to count. Bond servants, I say - they've made us all bond servants and sharecroppers if one "owns," their house.
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

Interesting that self-employed isn't an option. I work mostly part time hours for a modest full time income as a freelance bookkeeper. (Thanks to technology, my job gets easier and easier.)
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Louise Bayou wrote: 10 months ago Emergency dispatcher, full time, 6a-6p shift.

But currently looking for a sugar daddy who doesn't want any sugar or the winning Powerball ticket lol
Something we have in common. I used to have this job.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I started working full-time at 15 and have done so many different things through the years: Restaurant worker, gas station cashier, groom, horse trainer, 911 dispatch, midnight milker (my favorite job title, 400 cows 12am-9am), cabinet maker. Then (post college) accountant, consultant, VP at Warner Bros., and then finally in 2017 I started my own M&A consulting firm.
Brian Chunn
Miler

Post by Brian Chunn »

Retired 5 years ago, before that 42 years in horse racing, had a few rides as an apprentice then groom/work rider, the last 28 as head man/foreman. Spent some time working for C.S.Hayes at Lyndsay Park many years ago. Horses i worked with you may know, Rodrigo Di Triano; White Muzzle; Dr Devious; Oasis Dream; Cormorant Wood; Mineshaft;
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I am a "mostly" retired physician that worked in University setting and public health. I do occasional locums (temp) gigs, but mostly I travel while the hubby and I are still physically capable of doing so
I'm just here for the fun of it
Sue Wentz
Sprinter

Post by Sue Wentz »

Kelly Haggerty wrote: 10 months ago
Louise Bayou wrote: 10 months ago Emergency dispatcher, full time, 6a-6p shift.

But currently looking for a sugar daddy who doesn't want any sugar or the winning Powerball ticket lol
Something we have in common. I used to have this job.
That makes three of us!
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

Retired with A.D.H.D and an addictive personality helps to run a somewhat bigger than most barn lol. Had 20 years as a commercial electrician before an emergency neck surgery due to an 8 1/2' fall onto the concrete head first. Rode roughstock starting with calves at 5, which led to riding bulls when I hit high school. In 12 years of riding bulls I never hurt myself as bad as that lil fall on concrete lol.
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Craig Mcgee wrote: 10 months ago Retired with A.D.H.D and an addictive personality helps to run a somewhat bigger than most barn lol. Had 20 years as a commercial electrician before an emergency neck surgery due to an 8 1/2' fall onto the concrete head first. Rode roughstock starting with calves at 5, which led to riding bulls when I hit high school. In 12 years of riding bulls I never hurt myself as bad as that lil fall on concrete lol.
Kind of an off track story here... but here it goes...

For almost 47 years our family store had a cow bell that hung on the door bar...it sounded when people came in and left. I always said it was the only cow bell in town with a volume control...lol. The door bar was angled...narrower towards the hinged side of the door and a wider gap between it and the door as the bar got closer to the outside edge of the door. It had a chaotic and loud clang to it. Some people loved it, some hated it. I loved it a lot more than those Buzzers that most doors have.

Anyway, I worked at the store for 25 years. And one day this tall, almost Hollywood handsome looking, cowboy with a huge 'champion' type belt buckle came in. I greeted him and he kind of turned his head and nodded towards the bell. And Said:

"Nice Bull Bell"

LOL... first time in 25 years I ever heard anyone call it anything but a Cow Bell. I told him that, and he said he was bull rider and worked rodeos all over the nation. So for him, that was a bull bell, not a cow bell. I loved that take on that bell.

I have that bell now, got it when our store closed. And I often think of it as a bull bell now, as much as I do a cow bell.

-----
Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

Stormy Peak wrote: 10 months ago
Craig Mcgee wrote: 10 months ago Retired with A.D.H.D and an addictive personality helps to run a somewhat bigger than most barn lol. Had 20 years as a commercial electrician before an emergency neck surgery due to an 8 1/2' fall onto the concrete head first. Rode roughstock starting with calves at 5, which led to riding bulls when I hit high school. In 12 years of riding bulls I never hurt myself as bad as that lil fall on concrete lol.
Kind of an off track story here... but here it goes...

For almost 47 years our family store had a cow bell that hung on the door bar...it sounded when people came in and left. I always said it was the only cow bell in town with a volume control...lol. The door bar was angled...narrower towards the hinged side of the door and a wider gap between it and the door as the bar got closer to the outside edge of the door. It had a chaotic and loud clang to it. Some people loved it, some hated it. I loved it a lot more than those Buzzers that most doors have.

Anyway, I worked at the store for 25 years. And one day this tall, almost Hollywood handsome looking, cowboy with a huge 'champion' type belt buckle came in. I greeted him and he kind of turned his head and nodded towards the bell. And Said:

"Nice Bull Bell"

LOL... first time in 25 years I ever heard anyone call it anything but a Cow Bell. I told him that, and he said he was bull rider and worked rodeos all over the nation. So for him, that was a bull bell, not a cow bell. I loved that take on that bell.

I have that bell now, got it when our store closed. And I often think of it as a bull bell now, as much as I do a cow bell.

-----
Stormy
Lol yup I still have my bull bells, one is big heavy metal chunk of metal I painted red and the other is a smaller one made of a lighter metal that I never painted lol. That big red bell did give me a nice scar on my head when a bull kicked it into the back of my head.
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

When I started playing the SIMi was a stay at home mom, now I’m a wave 1 courier with FedEx Express. Slightly over full time hours Most off the time, definitely over full time hours during peak season.

I absolutely love my job, which is incredibly ADHD Friendly. I listen to my music, or audio books, all day (Spotify is life, and also the best $13 I spend every month), I get to be out on road for most of my day, no one looking over my shoulder micromanaging me, I chose the flow of my deliveries/pickups, and I only need to have small blips of interactions with other humans (who are usually happy to see me, cause I have their stuff lol)
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Hope Bentley
Eclipse Champion

Post by Hope Bentley »

I have loved reading about every ones story.
When I started the sim here in 2008, I was working on family owned beef cattle property where I still live now. Helping to care for in all aspects the cows and calf operation. Alongside that breeding and selling on most registered Quarter horses for cutting or similar events. Fast for ward to 2011 I had my beautiful daughter Abby, but I continue breeding QHs cannot continue the cattle work for a time. To this day I homeschool my daughter for all her school years so far almost finished primary. As she is getting older I’m training young kelpie dogs for cattle workto in the near future take part in cattle work again.. and I have started breeding QHs again after a 5 year break. So I’m mostly -a”stay at home’ mum(in Australia)that homeschools full time and cares for alot of work horses that my husband uses abd 22 working h dogs some which I train from pups.

Stallions
*Silver Kitty Cat
*Macha Taima
*Rockin to the Stars & more
Past Stallions
*Black Wolf *Blue Montana Gold *Fire Fire *Streakin Goldstrip
*Bear Encounter *Blood Red Sun *Held High and other greats
Arthur Cutler
Derby Contender

Post by Arthur Cutler »

Retired 2 years ago due to horrible cancer which I deal with daily...Just taking my life a day at a time and playing sims makes the days more eventful...My motto "You can't have a positive body with a negative mind"... I can beat this
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

Graduated as a veterinarian 2005. Since then I've worked mainly as an equine vet- in hospitals and in my own ambulary practice (but I have tried out mixed large animals and small animals to). When I got back from maternity leave last year, I was asked to help out in small animal practice, and I accepted. So now I work half time in a small animal practice and half time with my ambulatory equine practice. On top of that- I have 3 kids- 2, 8 and 49 y old ;) (yes, I'm talking about you, Polk! ;) )
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

Arthur Cutler wrote: 9 months ago Retired 2 years ago due to horrible cancer which I deal with daily...Just taking my life a day at a time and playing sims makes the days more eventful...My motto "You can't have a positive body with a negative mind"... I can beat this
So sad to hear... I really hope you beat this! I wish you the best! <3
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser