What is Your Occupation?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

What is your occupation?

Full time
55%
Half time
3%
Part Time
5%
Unemployed
1%
Sick leave
3%
Student
3%
Retired/Pensioned
22%
Other
8%

Total votes: 74

Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

Re: What is Your Occupation?

Post by Ren Marston »

very part time dog walker and aspiring author!
Faking it till I make it, and then faking it some more.

Studs
Astro - DR - $15,000
4X STEWARD APPROVED, PROVEN STAKES PRODUCER
Finch Hatton - TR - $30,000
PROVEN FREAK PRODUCING A+ HYPOING STUD
Mel Lankford
Derby Contender

Post by Mel Lankford »

Retired from the Medical Records field right before Covid. (former co-workers and patients caught Covid)
Laurel Addams
Classic Contender

Post by Laurel Addams »

Was finishing up college when I started playing, am now a mechanical engineer in the medical device industry
Standing at stud
Bannerlord - DM/DR, 30k, A+ hypos
Funky Stank - TR, 10k, A+ hypos
Codebreaker - DR, 5k
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Laurel Addams wrote: 10 months ago Was finishing up college when I started playing, am now a mechanical engineer in the medical device industry
Medical devices like my Stryker knees?
Ma Springs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ma Springs »

Full time, Business Intelligence team lead, public healthcare
Nashville Stud
Elite Power | DS/DM/AWS/AWM/AWR | $40,000
Levels | TM | $12,000 with incentives
Kacchan | TM | $3,500
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

Full time middle school teacher. 30.904 years. Not that I’m counting or anything. Of course it’s summer break so currently full time sim racing trainer.
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

Tired physician assistant student doing 40 hours in clinic every week and studying for boards in most of my free time. Graduate in August, will hopefully be licensed and joining the workforce by year's end.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I have a full time job that sometimes starts at 4am and sometimes starts at 7am, depends on the day, and ends at 5pm. I also obviously have the SIM as a job, as well.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Smith »

Eric Gray wrote: 10 months ago Full time middle school teacher. 30.904 years. Not that I’m counting or anything. Of course it’s summer break so currently full time sim racing trainer.
What an accomplishment! dude, take the retirement! I wish I could - first inclination of giving me money for not showing up and I am taking it - but apparently you have to do this for 20 years - in one state only for it to work that way... I have been 3 states, 4 if you count Bay Area, CA different than So. Cal...2 different countries - not good for the pension at least. I might can get away with 7-8 more years, but 10 - 12 if they wont count my other state years... lowering teacher retirement age would go a long ways in retaining and recruiting teachers. Hell, I say just give us Police retirement and we good.
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Cindy Saunders
Miler

Post by Cindy Saunders »

20 years manufacturing and qualty inspector/ auditor for medical supply company. 10 years as a Quality Engineer. Currently retired!
Good Luck and Happy Racing, :lol:
Cindy Saunders!

http://www.facebook.com/cynthia.m.saunders
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I'll be 60 in November.

I've had a number of jobs in my life, started babysitting at age 9. (yeah, the good old days when parents would hire young children to take care of their younger children.)

I was also mowing lawns and pulling weeds for money by the time I was 12.

In my teens I pretty much had full time babysitting jobs on weekends and in the summer too, + about 3 days during the week.
Plus...
Due to my parents divorce and me staying with my dad, my brother, and usually 2 of his friends, and me being 'the girl' I had to do all the shopping, house cleaning, laundry, and make dinners. I worked my tush off back then. (mid 1970s into the early 80's)

After I moved out of the house, I had jobs at a pizza place, a mom and pop hamburger joint, the animal shelter, The BLM, and finally into my family's home furnishing business...where I worked for 25 years.

Then I had 2 severe back injuries, the 2nd one 14 years after the first one. The 2nd injury put me in a wheelchair for 4 months, and I couldn't go back to work after that...

Now my job is pretty much pain management - trying to do things that I can in a way that I won't hurt too much for the following few days. I hate it. Disability doesn't pay as much as a job, so I'm poor, and most of my friends are still working, so no one to talk to or visit during the days, and I can't bother them that much at night either...they have to have their own lives. At least in working at our store, I got to meet people every day...sometimes strangers, sometimes people I knew.

I use to be able to sit in this computer chair for much longer, and I had like 340 runners. But over the past 4 or 5 years, the back pain is worse, so I started cutting back on the number of horses I run. I plan on, in the next few Sim seasons to try to get my racing barn down to around 100 runners. At the start of next season, I'll have about 230 - but by week 4, I know at least 20 of those will probably be culled...and by the end of next season, I hope to start year 66 with about 120 horses.

Which reminds me of an old saying. ;)
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans."

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

2 years ago I left my job as a full time writer and horse photographer to become a social media manager for Daily Racing Form, and then left that a year later (it was so bad) to be a full time manager at FanDuelTV. I LOVE my job and I LOVE my company, but because of that the SIM has gone from 60 hours a week, to 40, and now to like 10. I just can't do them both anymore, because I ALSO fun a 501c3 full time, so I have 2 full time jobs and one part time. Sorry SIM, I miss you :-(
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I was a chef and a baker for 15 years or so. Got out (mostly) of the industry and I'm doing a few things. I'm now a letter carrier (pretty fun), a retail person and a consultant. I definitely don't have as much time for the game as I used to.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

John Smith wrote: 10 months ago
Eric Gray wrote: 10 months ago Full time middle school teacher. 30.904 years. Not that I’m counting or anything. Of course it’s summer break so currently full time sim racing trainer.
What an accomplishment! dude, take the retirement! I wish I could - first inclination of giving me money for not showing up and I am taking it - but apparently you have to do this for 20 years - in one state only for it to work that way... I have been 3 states, 4 if you count Bay Area, CA different than So. Cal...2 different countries - not good for the pension at least. I might can get away with 7-8 more years, but 10 - 12 if they wont count my other state years... lowering teacher retirement age would go a long ways in retaining and recruiting teachers. Hell, I say just give us Police retirement and we good.
I hear you. Here in Ohio, the state pension system screwed us over. I should have been able to retire with full benefits after the year I just completed. However, after quite a bit of mismanagement, they changed the rules and if you couldn't get out by 2015, you were stuck. You would have thought they would have grandfathered us with 20+ years in. Anyway, as it is, I've got 3 years and (UGH) 18 days. I will have to come back for 18 days at the start of the 26-27 school year. Hopefully, I can get through these next 3+ years and ride off into the sunset.
Te Akau Downs
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Te Akau Downs »

Assistant Nurse 13yrs, before that trackwork rider for 23yrs
PATIENCE is the cheapest thing in racing and least used.. J.B Cummings..