Phonetic or correct spelling for foal names?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Phonetic or correct spelling for foal names?

Post by Stormy Peak »

I was fortunate when I found an alternate spelling for Ruffian - in that the archaic spelling was still phonetically exact as the modern spelling. It was in a book I was reading about England in the mid/late 1600s An archaic spelling was shown when a gentleman in a coach wrote to a friend complaining about how thugs were getting brave in London, that his coach had been 'approached by roughians wishing to rob him'

I often use Korean, or names from ancient eras to name my foals. However, the spellings of the words, often do not match how the word actually sounds. For example:

The letter 'S' in Korean often has a 'SH' sound, and the letter 'I' often has an "E" sound to it. So I will often go phonetically. and spell a name out that way, rather than use the Romanized spelling of the words that are commonly used on Korean/English sites, as they kind of assume you know the language quirks.

Do any of you do this with your horses for some names or languages?

I never really see this when people here use like the French language, but I think a lot of us have a little bit of an idea how to pronounce some French spelling quirks -- like how with many words, the final consonant is not pronounced

But with the more unfamiliar languages...perhaps a phonetic version might work better for others to get the word sounding correct when reading it.

Right now, I have an ancient king's name I want to use. If I use the spelling given...not allowed in the Sim. I would have to use the letter S to start his name. But his name starts with a Š --- which is a SH sound or a very soft Z sound. Also there are a few "I" letters in the name but they sound more like "E" If someone wished to look this king for any weird reason, they would think I didn't know how to spell it if I go phonetically...lol

I will more than likely use the phonetic spelling...and post the name once I have it on a colt. I just need to decide also if I should break the name into 2 or 3 syllables, and if I want to put the word 'KIng" in front of the name or just use the name without that

So, do any of you change the spellings to match how a word actually sounds?

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Mary Whalen
Eclipse Champion

Re: Phonetic or correct spelling for foal names?

Post by Mary Whalen »

I’ve mostly only used Danish or Japanese and just go with what google translate gives me. However I have the name Ngamila reserved since it’s a Mumford and Sons song that I just absolutely love. Just waiting for a really good one and hope it’s Chichewa meaning of camel doesn’t jinx him or her.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: Phonetic or correct spelling for foal names?

Post by Stormy Peak »

Well, I bred a colt and decided to tag it with the name of that ancient king.

He was a king of the Hatti, (lived 1344–1322 BC) and he managed to battle and win against the all powerful Egyptian kingdom and claim Hatti lands between the Mediterranean and the Euphrates.

The King's name as spelled is: King Suppiluliuma
However, most would never get the pronunciation correct, or even the syllable breaks. So, I spelled out the name on the colt, as to how the name sounds.

I just like the flow of the name, but too, like the idea of this King way back when who challenged an empire and won, and is still known about as being a King, a warrior, and a statesman.

King Shoopy Luly Uma

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000