Keep your stewardbreds!

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Keep your stewardbreds!

Post by Randall Allen »

If you luck up upon the purchase of a nice new Stewardbred that is in your barn as a new player, think hard about keeping the colt or filly instead of selling!

The sim money will come and go, but career changing horses are few and far between. It’s like digging for diamonds in the sand, finding one, then selling it to buy more sand and shovels. A fleeting memory of success and not much more.

Earning money can be challenging in the Sim and I understand the desire to sell for quick cash. If you have the patience though write four articles a week. In a sim year you can earn 80,000 each week x 16 weeks is 1.28 million simbucks. So, with some patience and a little effort you would have your million plus be able to keep the Stewardbred horse that you bought.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Re: Keep your stewardbreds!

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Sell your colts and buy more fillys. Selling stewardbreds can be just as beneficial as racing them, it’s all situational.

These horses are all peak so you could have anything from allowance that would have improved to stakes to stakes to freaks to then chance it’s a freak to freak peaker but there’s no way to know how fake it is until you race it and once you do the value drops significantly.
;p
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

You bring up a good point Andrew. What if a new player sold a horse like Maryland Million though? The purchase could be a career changer. I guess you have a good point though, there is no way to know.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Randall Allen wrote: 8 months ago You bring up a good point Andrew. What if a new player sold a horse like Maryland Million though? The purchase could be a career changer. I guess you have a good point though, there is no way to know.
You don’t have a bad point. They could miss out on a special horse and most of us are here to race horses. That’s where the real fun is. I would hope someone wouldn’t sell MM, but that’s just they way I’m playing. Keep the fillies and sell the colts or today I’m keeping the colt.
;p
Durzo Blint
Turf Router

Post by Durzo Blint »

There should be studies done on this.

When I started, I pinhooked a lot of the stewardbreds I won since I needed sim$. I do not think I regret a single one, I probably regret not selling more of the stewardbreds, fillies included. I spent millions and millions on stewardbreds, and I do not think a single one so far has earned back that money in terms of on track performance or in the shed or offspring. With that said, I'm still very actively trying to bid all the sim$ I have on these stewardbreds, make no mistake.

If you just go to the search page and type in "The Steward" in the breeder and then type in an age, let's say 7 - it is interesting to see how those horses have performed (only one 7 year old earned over $1M on the track - won by Eric Nalbone for $6.5M, the next highest is $834K filly won by Laura F for $6.4M) (10 year old stewardbreds did really well on the track - 20 millionaires) . Often times, the highest earners on the track are owned by the trainers you would expect.

There is a reason the more special horses have their own separate auctions. Usually the ones that new players, and trainers like me, can win are be pretty good/decent horses, but flipping that horse for sim$ and saving that money to then be able to try and grab a stewardbred in a select auction or the GP auction is not bad strategy in the slightest.

The best advice, I think, is to ask other trainers for advice before agreeing to or making a deal. The advice of Randall or Mr. Lord Chillin is very valuable and they would not steer you wrong. Ultimately the new trainer has to make their own decision, and sometimes there is not a right or wrong answer. Training a stewardbred can be exciting and fun even if they can only win the occasional listed stakes.
Laurel Addams
Classic Contender

Post by Laurel Addams »

Durzo Blint wrote: 8 months ago The best advice, I think, is to ask other trainers for advice before agreeing to or making a deal. The advice of Randall or Mr. Lord Chillin is very valuable and they would not steer you wrong. Ultimately the new trainer has to make their own decision, and sometimes there is not a right or wrong answer. Training a stewardbred can be exciting and fun even if they can only win the occasional listed stakes.
This. It’s ultimately a gamble (I’ve lost out a whole lot more than I’ve won) but ultimately it’s a game. When I was debating on selling one, a much more experienced trainer asked me if I would have more fun racing my stewardbred or with however I would spend the money I would get by pinhooking. That answer is different for everyone and there isn’t a right answer.
Standing at stud
Bannerlord - DM/DR, 30k, A+ hypos
Funky Stank - TR, 10k, A+ hypos
Codebreaker - DR, 5k
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Smith »

This came to light as I tried to sell mine FYI the caliber of horses that may be in the NP auction...it is only ONE year's results though, but some info at least. Year 55 results (9 sim seasons ago) via Durzo Blint on another thread

7 fillies:

Time for Me to Shine - $49.6K earner - $15K in progeny earnings
She's All That - $34.0K earner - $15K in progeny earnings
Maddison - $0 earner - $7K in progeny earnings
Weekend Glory - $31K earner - $6K in progeny earnings
Gryffindor Arms - $20K earner - no offspring/deceased
Podkayne - $10K earner - $0 progeny earnings
Boogie Woogie - $37K earner - $24K in progeny earnings

The 8 colts didn't fare much better:

Bracco - $48K earner
Mccutcheon - $25K earner
Mayhayley - $73K earner
Osceola - $47K earner
Captain West - $28K earner
Dios - $231K earner - the star of crop and only stakes winner
Geaux - $38K earner
Monowi - $64K earner
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Wc Lee
Miler

Post by Wc Lee »

I can tell you about my own personal experience with Steward Breds.

I have bought 2 Steward Breds in the 1 year that I have been on the SIM, the first as a Junior player and the second as an Intermediate player. Both of the Steward Breds were bought in the regular (non Select, also not New Player) Steward Auction and both were Dirt Router Fillies.

I ended up selling both of my Steward Breds for approximately double the purchase price and used the proceeds to invest into my own breeding (buying broodmares, using quality stallions). A big reason I sold the Steward Breds was because both were Dirt Routers and I have found that the DR division is highly competitive and a (non select) Steward Bred struggles to earn back her purchase price.

I also have founded it rewarding to see my own progeny do well on the track. This is the first week that I have had any meaningful number of progeny be eligible to race. I got a lot of pleasure seeing my home bred "There's Magic" hit a 90 SF in her maiden race on Monday night. I think I got more pleasure than I would have if one of the Steward Breds that I bought did the same thing in her first race.

A Steward Bred costs a lot of SIM$. You could breed a lot of really nice progeny for that same amount of SIM$
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

To sum up the first sentence of the post, the main point is to "think hard about keeping them." There are no absolutes that work 100% of the time.
Maisy Moo Stable
Sprinter

Post by Maisy Moo Stable »

Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

I agree with Randall. Cash is fleeting and it’s just so easy to spend it. You can’t beat the hours of fun you can have campaigning a nice horse. Until you can develop your own breeding program and get those gotta have blue hens, the Steward does all the heavy lifting and sells them all! Can you beat that!

I agree with Mr. Lord Chillin. Buyer beware! No purchase comes with any guarantee you’re going to get a game changer. We all have freaks who are struggling to go through their conditions. And without money, how are you going to breed to some of these studs with six figure stud fees?

I agree with Durzo, but Laurel sums it up nicely. The beauty of the sim is the fact that there are many ways to play the game. No right, no wrong, but what suits you best. It’s what makes you happy and let no person tell you otherwise.