RIP Maple Leaf Mel

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

RIP Maple Leaf Mel

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

Such a beautiful filly, just strides away from being 6 for 6. I can't believe it. Condolences to her connections, I know there was a lot of hope riding with this filly.
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward
Emkay Stables
Two Year Old

Re: RIP Maple Leaf Mel

Post by Emkay Stables »

This one was particularly tough. RIP Mel. And can't imagine what a heartbreaking loss it was for her new trainer/namesake.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Watching that absolutely gutted me. My thoughts are with Melanie Giddings and all of Maple Leaf Mel's other connections.
“ 𝐴𝑧𝑒𝑙 πΈπ‘žπ‘’π‘–π‘›π‘’ β€›
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

I think the horse gods must have been looking elsewhere yesterday. There was a heart attack at the meeting I rode at, and a heart attack and a broken shoulder at the major meeting in Sydney. I feel for all the owners. It’s never easy carrying the empty bridle back to the barn.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Never seen nothing like that, being right at the line where everyone can see. Sad
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Horrible. And they lost at least one more yesterday in a turf stakes, and vanned off another. We had a winner a DMR yesterday, and I was so relieved that she came home fine I didn't even care about the win until I knew she cooled off sound.
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lucas Davenport »

I owned my first standardbred over 50 years ago. I have had TB partnerships at the 10% level for the last twenty years. I found this last race for Maple Leaf Mel so heart-rending that after much careful consideration I am no longer involved in "the Game." I resigned all my interests today. I do not think I can even watch TB racing anymore.
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Bill Parcels owned this horse
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

Trainer Brendan Walsh was kind enough to give her the winners' flower blanket, and many made donations for flowers ❀️
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Nice find with that article

I love what Parcells says to trainer too
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Lucas Davenport wrote: ↑8 months ago I owned my first standardbred over 50 years ago. I have had TB partnerships at the 10% level for the last twenty years. I found this last race for Maple Leaf Mel so heart-rending that after much careful consideration I am no longer involved in "the Game." I resigned all my interests today. I do not think I can even watch TB racing anymore.
I am seeing this a lot this week, including in my own job. Everyone is just so DONE after that one. I have friends who were right on the finish line... I cannot imagine the sound, etc.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

The Steward wrote: ↑8 months ago
Lucas Davenport wrote: ↑8 months ago I owned my first standardbred over 50 years ago. I have had TB partnerships at the 10% level for the last twenty years. I found this last race for Maple Leaf Mel so heart-rending that after much careful consideration I am no longer involved in "the Game." I resigned all my interests today. I do not think I can even watch TB racing anymore.
I am seeing this a lot this week, including in my own job. Everyone is just so DONE after that one. I have friends who were right on the finish line... I cannot imagine the sound, etc.
I didn’t even think about the sound πŸ˜±πŸ˜©πŸ’”πŸ˜­
β™› KINGSWOOD β™›
Pensioner Program
β€’ Pension your 2yo or older horse
β€’ Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
β€’ Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Rochelle Bos wrote: ↑8 months ago
Oh no. Only heard it once and NEVER want to again. It is getting harder and the horses seem lighter and less sound than when I first started. I've been obsessed with TB since I was a toddler and cannot imagine life without it, but things need to improve on this front. Right now I have 5 and just don't know how to feel going forward.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Kelly Haggerty wrote: ↑8 months ago
Rochelle Bos wrote: ↑8 months ago

Oh no. Only heard it once and NEVER want to again. It is getting harder and the horses seem lighter and less sound than when I first started. I've been obsessed with TB since I was a toddler and cannot imagine life without it, but things need to improve on this front. Right now I have 5 and just don't know how to feel going forward.
Things really do need to get better. My friend posted a conformation shot of the curlin - beholder colt and 🫣 $4 mil for a club foot (that an apparently currently has a quarter crack) and straighter than straight back legs. I’m sure they will run him too. 😬
β™› KINGSWOOD β™›
Pensioner Program
β€’ Pension your 2yo or older horse
β€’ Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
β€’ Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

We used to get horses off of the Chicago or Ky circuit that were 5-8 years old, retrain them to be jumpers, and jump them over 4ft fences for another 10 years. That certainly isn't today's horse. I'd love to see some of the heavier EU horses mixed in, but the babies won't be early or quick and I don't know if the industry could get it together to write the races and put incentives in place.