RIP Maple Leaf Mel

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Re: RIP Maple Leaf Mel

Post by Cleo Patra »

Kelly Haggerty wrote: 8 months ago We used to get horses off of the Chicago or Ky circuit that were 5-8 years old, retrain them to be jumpers, and jump them over 4ft fences for another 10 years. That certainly isn't today's horse. I'd love to see some of the heavier EU horses mixed in, but the babies won't be early or quick and I don't know if the industry could get it together to write the races and put incentives in place.
Today in my state in Australia we had a 10yo mare win at her 136th start, bringing her record to 136-11:13:18 and two days ago we had a 12yo gelding have his 141st start in which he ran 3rd and brought his record up to 141-49:29:11

They are both USA blood mixed 1/2 or 3/4 with Australian or New Zealand pedigree. Both are sprinters. Both are clear of any inbreeding in the first 3 generations. Northern Dancer is there 4 and 5 back, but that's pretty much every horse on the planet I swear. Point being that bringing in a tonne of Australian or Euro blood would potentially have an immediate effect in terms of soundness. If Australia's drug rules were adopted, which is withholding times for all drugs that must be observed and NO treatment of any kind for one clear day prior to racing (e.g. if they are running Saturday then they can't be treated with anything beyond Thursday at 11:59pm) that would probably also reduce fatalities. Although I don't think it would have in this particular case (I'm pointing the finger at her pedigree for this one).

Australia has also in recent times adopted the practice of taking a lot of time with babies. They will be broken in at 2 but might not actually race until 3 or 4. The time between is divided between spelling, pre-training and being at the actual racing stable doing barrier trials and working in company etc. The rise of pre-training has been a bit of a phenomenon. Owners pay a lower rate for the horse to do their slow preparation work out on a farm, away from the main training centers. It is a low pressure environment, usually with large boxes and/or yards or paddocks. In the decade I've been riding in races it has been a very noticeable shift.

When I started out they were pushing 2yos as hard as possible to get them going as soon as possible (which does still happen) and I was riding a lot of nutcase horses who had ended up with the trainer I was riding for because they'd been with a big time trainer and been cooked in the head, or had soundness problems that would never have happened if they weren't rushed. There's still some horses going around that are nuttier than squirrel poop but they are a much rarer breed these days. And of course we still have racing fatalities. We had 3 the same day as Maple Leaf Mel even, but that was very much unusual and 2 of them were heart attacks with no prior history or symptoms. But mostly our fatalities stay WELL under 0.1% of the 170,000-180,000 starts our roughly 35k actively racing horse population have per year.

So its possible for the US to clean up its industry and do right by its horses. Will it do it? I have my doubts, and wouldn't be shocked to see US racing dead or nearly dead by next decade. There would need to be a strong national body or coalition to push for change, and the states and various racing authorities would all have to cooperate.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Makes sense, cause in baseball with pitching they start these kids out way to young and it's showing in the pros how they can't last
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Cleo Patra wrote: 8 months ago
Kelly Haggerty wrote: 8 months ago We used to get horses off of the Chicago or Ky circuit that were 5-8 years old, retrain them to be jumpers, and jump them over 4ft fences for another 10 years. That certainly isn't today's horse. I'd love to see some of the heavier EU horses mixed in, but the babies won't be early or quick and I don't know if the industry could get it together to write the races and put incentives in place.
Today in my state in Australia we had a 10yo mare win at her 136th start, bringing her record to 136-11:13:18 and two days ago we had a 12yo gelding have his 141st start in which he ran 3rd and brought his record up to 141-49:29:11

They are both USA blood mixed 1/2 or 3/4 with Australian or New Zealand pedigree. Both are sprinters. Both are clear of any inbreeding in the first 3 generations. Northern Dancer is there 4 and 5 back, but that's pretty much every horse on the planet I swear. Point being that bringing in a tonne of Australian or Euro blood would potentially have an immediate effect in terms of soundness. If Australia's drug rules were adopted, which is withholding times for all drugs that must be observed and NO treatment of any kind for one clear day prior to racing (e.g. if they are running Saturday then they can't be treated with anything beyond Thursday at 11:59pm) that would probably also reduce fatalities. Although I don't think it would have in this particular case (I'm pointing the finger at her pedigree for this one).

I took a vacation and spent a month in Australia going to the stud farms and racetracks in NSW, VIC, and NT and I 100% agree. I saw much sounder foundation stock. Also, I was impressed by some of the horse husbandry, which I think may be better than we do things in the states. Most of the horses I saw were allowed more freedom of movement. They had some time in yards or paddocks, or they were in larger stalls/pens. One trainer I helped out kept his horses in pens about 15x30 ft. Not big enough for them to run, but he had their feed at one end and water at the other and the horses tended to move around more throughout the day. Horses in the wild do not stay in place, they take a bite and a step, a bite and a step. He also cooled out his horses in big, deep sand rolls. That was different (and made for a very messy bathtime after) but it's possible that the natural movement and lots of rolling might be better than walking in a circle. The feed was different, too. Less "heating". And of course water management is done differently, which CA could definitely learn from. I was a huge, huge fan.

Our model of providing free board at the track, but in small stalls with little or no turnout and just intense exercise and hand-walking with a very high-carb diet would make me sore and stiff, and I wonder if it doesn't do the same for the horses.
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

edited out
Last edited by LA Pepper 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

edited out