Sometimes the Sim isn't fun, sometimes it is : )

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Sometimes the Sim isn't fun, sometimes it is : )

Post by Stormy Peak »

Everyone wants a 'big horse' that special multiple G1 winner. I know I do, but in the past 3 Sim years or so, I've been Struggling in breeding any. It sure takes the fun out of the game when you spend a few million in upper end stud fees, with Blue Hen mares that usually produce great foals...and all ya get are lot of productives out it.

During times like that (and I've had a few in the Sim over the past 16 years)...sometimes it's a 'little horse' in my stable that just makes me smile. Mine at the moment is a $1 auction purchase. A gelding that I only bought to reuse his name.

I decided that I would go ahead and race him at least once before I retired him and steal his name to put on another horse.
I have a daughter of Roughian named, Turned To Stone, (old ELO hit). I thought, if she ever foaled a colt that was a stakes or better, I would give the foal the name of that $1 purchase.

His name is Granite
~ Dirt Miler, Born Yr59 as a productive LB. by: Some Rocky Socket x Debra Granik --bred by Tom Mudgett
~ Broke his maiden as a 2 year old. Was claimed a few races later by Stina Vica for $1,500
~ Tom Mudgett raced him only in claimers, earned $20,800 in purse money + the $1,500 claiming price.

~ Stina raced him twice - he never earned any money - and at age 3, Granite, went to auction
~ Y62 Khalifa A bought him for $2 and raced him 7 times. ~ Granite earned Khalifa $2,300

~Enter me : )
~Granite was 1/2 way through his 4yr old season when I purchased him at auction for $1.
~He won his first race for me...it was the first time he ever ran in a non claiming race -- a NW3 at Simperior Park.
My $1 purchase collected $10,000 for me. :D

He hasn't won since then, but he's been fairly consistent earning money. He's now a 6yr old.
I galloped him as a 5yr old and found he had at some point jumped to an Allowance Peak.

Last night in Japan finished 2nd in a $30,000 NW4 and picked up a $6,600 paycheck
In total he's raced for me 9 times. He's earned for me a total of $26,900

HIs career total at the moment is $50,750

What I have found to be so fun, is the change in my utterly low expectations with this $1 auction purchase. Again, one who in his prior auction was sold for $2...and before that was claimed for $1,500. I figured I would be racing him once, and retiring him, but here he is, a few years down the road and still earning me money.

As I said, sometimes it's this kind of thing that makes the Sim fun for me....to be so surprised by a lower level runner.

Would love to read about the goobers in your shed that have earned you more peanuts than you ever expected.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stina Vica
Derby Contender

Re: Sometimes the Sim isn't fun, sometimes it is : )

Post by Stina Vica »

Nice that he has found exactly you haha or you him?

I find something like that always great, I say that as if that would happen to me often, but it does not. xd
for me it was more like the horse I didn't expect much from (Boom Reyno) surprised me and the horse where I thought he might be good was exactly the opposite until now.
⁀➷
IG: VicaLaVie
look at how you've grown
even without the sun
𓆩*𓆪
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Smith »

"blessed is they who expect nothing for they are never disappointed!" ~somebody!
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

I’d just say while disappointment is part of this game and always will be , what is the alternative? Everything working out exactly as planned? How boring that would be , adversity is what makes the successes all the more gratifying. However it’s just a fact that for most people the disappointments are more depressing than the successes uplifting, because the successes are “ supposed” to happen from all that hard work.. But this game carries no such guarantees, so just keep plugging away , learn but don’t overreact from the disappointments and try to enjoy when things break your way , and maybe you’ll find it worth your stay in the game
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I can deal with the disappointments...don't know how many freaks I had, that an old fat claimer could outrun. Ditto with stake types. But If I have out of a 100 racers and 80 of them are like lower end, even a huge amount of claimers, I'm fine. But to balance that out, it is nice to have some allowance types and at least 1 or 2 stakes types that can win graded stake here and there, and even better have a freak too, that can compete in G1 races.

But what makes the game really not so fun, is as I mentioned...a 2 or 3 year slump where one's mares are not producing great foals like they have proven they could do. Getting productive types out of them, and I think it was 2 seasons ago I didn't breed even 1 stakes type....and this year, with Roughian's colt, John Wick...he's my first freak in like 3 seasons.

So, yeah...disappointment is a part of the game and I think it makes you appreciate the successes even that much more.
But this thread wasn't really meant to be about disappointments... it was meant to celebrate those unexpected surprises when a lower tier horse does much better than you expect and you do find a lot of fun in it.

I've had almost as much fun watching Granite earn his little paychecks and not even winning, as I have had watching some of my nicer horses win G2 or G1 races : ) And I also think it's a good attitude to have, because some might overlook a horse like Granite as they are too focused on some horse they had high expectations for that isn't doing so good and thus a player might not think the Sim is fun at the moment.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1122832

He's a goober as a sire with the worst stats ever (a mix of my motley broodmare barn and not being very good). However, breed a stallion enough and you get some lucky slider rolls. He's given me a small collection of allowance gallops that earn in the 5 figures (which is good for his foals).

Some of his foals that I'm particularly happy with:

* He gave me a formidable broodmare who managed an allowance gallop and two productives so far.
* He gave me an allowance-gallop breeding shed filly I've leased to a friend and has been doing well breaking her maiden/finishing OTB . (Fingers crossed that she turn out to also be a broodmare worth keeping).
* This season I'm racing his one and only stakes gallop.

Managing his army of productive geldings has been a real pleasure for me. I'm going to be gutted when he pensions next season. He's not a good stallion but I've had him since Trial Park.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1121602 Bought this guy for a dollar in a dispersal, galloped allowance (eventually improved to stakes) and became my first ever TB stakes winner.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1264831 Another $1 dispersal find, I loved racing him because I don't think I've ever named a horse something more fitting to its pedigree than this guy, and he earned a decent chunk of change, too.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

Gwen Morse wrote: 8 months ago https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1122832

He's a goober as a sire with the worst stats ever (a mix of my motley broodmare barn and not being very good). However, breed a stallion enough and you get some lucky slider rolls. He's given me a small collection of allowance gallops that earn in the 5 figures (which is good for his foals).

Some of his foals that I'm particularly happy with:

* He gave me a formidable broodmare who managed an allowance gallop and two productives so far.
* He gave me an allowance-gallop breeding shed filly I've leased to a friend and has been doing well breaking her maiden/finishing OTB . (Fingers crossed that she turn out to also be a broodmare worth keeping).
* This season I'm racing his one and only stakes gallop.

Managing his army of productive geldings has been a real pleasure for me. I'm going to be gutted when he pensions next season. He's not a good stallion but I've had him since Trial Park.
Oh man, this might as well be my own goober stud Standoffish. I got him when I came back to the game, and was so proud to be standing a stallion that I bought him a headshot (my first!). He isn't the best, but like your guy I get a couple Allowance from him each season from my modest mares. He finally gave me a Stakes LB yearling filly this season, who I am dying to race next year. And his son Theagenes was a very big surprise Allowance horse who ran his eyes out his 2yo season, running 2nd by a neck in the SC. For a 5k purchase, he has been so good to me. Like your guy, mine is 13 and getting ready to pension next season, which will be some sad times for me. But he'll live on as a Stable Pony for sure. I'm so proud of him, even if he is a cut below the other studs out there.
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Yes the disappointing gallops .. well I can’t be sure but I think with the blooming/peak/progressive feature , yearling results have become a little less meaningful, Zibanejad has 8 freaks, zero of which galloped freak as yearlings . I noticed some newer studs who had a low stakes percentage but high allowance percentage , I am almost certain that stakes percentage rises as they age to 2-4 , not because later crops gallop better as yearlings .. but having said all that no doubt it’s tough when the better mates don’t produce as hoped for
Eric Gray
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Eric Gray »

I think most people know the Deputy Dog story, but even though she was a gift, she started allowance LB so I'm not sure she fits the narrative. By far, my biggest rags to riches story so far is Sacrificial. https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1434788.

I picked her up for $1 as a yearling in an auction that Cleo Patra had. The only reason that I targeted her was as a possible broodmare from the Just One Kiss line. She galloped claimer and I resigned myself to one or two races and retirement. In her debut, she ripped off a 91 SF to break her maiden. I checked her and she had first race improved to Stakes LB. As a three year old, she jumped to Freak peak just in time to win the Long Island Acorn. She retired with over 3/4 of a million dollars and is Ransack's top earning filly and a top 5 progeny. She then surpassed my breeding expectations by being a hen. So far, she has given me an allowance progressive filly and a freak late blooming filly in her first two efforts. Not bad for a buck!! She is currently being leased to Cleo. I figure that is the least I can do for my fortune. :)