Congrats to The Steward!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Re: Congrats to The Steward!

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

There is a way to catch up tho

And who is to say these studs make back what they purchased for
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

One perk of this game is choosing how you want to play. I could go out and buy thousands of cheap horses and build a bank roll that way but it sounds awful to me. Managing 50 racers already can be tough (stupid scratch alerts).

If you don’t have a lot of money that is (in some ways) your decision based on how you play this game. Im in the category of prayer for one of my horses to be a top stallion and I’m ok with that.

I think some of us need to remember that the game is likely different when you’re mega rich. Sure you can buy fancy toys but is the game as hard? Do you still have in game goals? I don’t know.

But yes thank you Em for the auctions. I love RL horses in the game and fresh blood is good for the lines (especially in AWR)
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

The only time my operation became solvent is when I finally bred usable studs for 2 simple reasons , income from stud fees and the massive savings in breeding to your own , until that time I steadily lost money no matter how good the mares and racing , mares don’t bring direct income and obviously you can only breed to them once a year so I had to periodically sell stakes and higher horses or lease mares , I like it this way a lot more 😁
Maria Schreuder
Derby Contender

Post by Maria Schreuder »

Rochelle's post resonates with me. My first Sim crop are now 8 years old, and ever since I've been playing a hopeless game of catch-up. I'm constantly running more claiming type horses than I really have time for in an attempt to scrape together cash to try and buy / breed some better horses. But in the meantime everyone else is working on improving their stables too, as it should be. Real-cash spenders deserve a lot of credit for supporting Emily, but the gap between newish players and them or old-time established Simsters is just impossible to close. I still have a lot of fun because I'm resigned to never becoming a Sim force, but it makes me worried about player retention and the long-term viability of the game. All the auto dispersals constantly going on illustrate a point. I'm crazy about the Sim even if I'm not all that good at it and would hate to lose my daily dose of escapism.
Rochelle Bos wrote: 8 months ago I think part of the problem with adding so many new studs, is that they are purchased by players who already have excess money, which just adds more money into their pockets.

When people breed to the newly created studs they are making the rich, richer. Which is actually reducing cash flow in the game when it is continually funnelled back into the same players pockets.

There is really no way to “catch up” money wise in the SIM. The closest possible method would be to get lucky and breed/buy a stud that people want to use. Then maybe one day you could have your pick of horses at auction or for lease/sale, you could afford to use the best studs without pause giving you the best chance at a nice foal.

Without money in the sim you are scraping by, hoping for your random slide. With money you have almost every opportunity you could dream of, no stress.
PS I was hesitant to post at all, but just discussing these things shouldn't automatically be seen as griping or being discontent.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

It is always confusing to me when people start calling an extremely normal interactions "bickering" or "complaining" or "drama". I have seen none of that in this thread (with the exception of one player). So I'll just close some discussion loops as normal :)
Andrew James wrote: 8 months ago As a person who runs one of the larger TB barns, of late ranks top 5/10 in total wins and claiming wins and has been around for awhile... I assure you the way to get SIM rich is not that.
Yes, it most ceratinly is. Because the most reliable way to get one of those top studs is to breed and race volume. Big barns are more able to weather ups and downs and periods without top stud income while still making big purchases. Which is fine!

Of course there are small barns with huge wealth. It's just a lot harder and less comon. Think about it this way - large barn doesn't automatically mean you will be rich. But, if large barn wasn't the best way to get rich, then it wouldn't be the predominant playing style. Hope that makes sense.
Durzo Blint wrote: 8 months ago The response to me simply asking why:
Tim Matthews wrote: 8 months ago To Durzo’s point, the issue with simflation is that it prices more players out of big purchases.
I do not believe this was my point. I did not have a point, I was geniunely curious as to why we need to take money out. But to respond directly, I do not think simflation priced out big purchases as per my correspondence with Kelly:
My bad, I should have said "Addressing Durzo's question." It's a fair question that you asked and it's good to engage in it. Curious to hear your thoughts on my response to your correspondence with Kelly.
Durzo Blint wrote: 8 months ago Apologies that people are taking a simple question of "Why?" to be whining or putting their own additional biases into my question. I'll go back into my shell now, look for my auto dispersal in 45 days.
Everyone likes to call regular human discussion "drama" on this forum. It's kinda weird!
Art K Stables wrote: 8 months ago who's bickering? I think its fine and I am glad as most are that the auction had its intended consequence. People can question why this is done without it being seen as an argument, cant it? Many of these issues that have gone on over the last 20 years probably have been asked and answered many times, so its just a lot of back and forth with nothing of importance. Read it or not, but no one should see this as complaining or bickering. I saw nothing ruined. Because someone sees this as something that should be unnecessary there are 50 others who say congrats, so to give the "bickering" that kind of power to ruin anything is not accurate :)
Perfectly said! It is okay for forum threads to be about more than one thing at a time.
Randall Allen wrote: 8 months ago Or we could just let this topic die already. Already beat this dead horse into the ground year after year. Nothing is wrong with the sim.
You have been acting very strangely on this thread. It is actually okay to discuss the game on the game's forum. If this post reflects your opinion, maybe just scroll on by next time.
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Forums are literally called discussion boards for a reason. People discuss things there. If the discussion isn't your cup of tea, then don't participate. Pretty simple.

As for "negativity" more players than I can count have said they are fed up (Lucas how many times?), sold their whole barn and started over because they needed a refresh, taken a season off, taken an assistant trainer, expressed frustration, burnout, or a need to find a way to perk things up. That is where I am at and I have every bit as much of a right to feel that way and say so as any other player here. Those that don't like it can suck eggs. :lol:

My 2yo are exciting, and I am happy with my broodmare barn, but some of the other stuff I have tried has flopped. So I am head-scratching and deciding. My prerogative. I may take another route and expand or I may cut way back. Alternatively, if the game becomes a competition to see who can spend the most RL money I'll be glad to lose that contest. I actually saw that on another game, with two guys dueling it out and putting in 5 figures apiece! That is why I weigh in on the discussions about the economics of the game. Well one reason, anyway. I am an econ geek regardless. But, like Cleo, I have seen the economics get messed up elsewhere, as I have said.

No one is the forum cop except Em, and she largely could care less until things get really destructive or personal, or vulgar in some way. And no one is the game play cop, either, unless there is cheating or foul play. Large, small, claimers, stakes-only, this division or that, last minute sniping, buying all the things, RL money or not, it's all on the table. BUT discussing any aspect of that, mulling around how different things might have different effects in the game are on the table as well and all part of the same ecosystem. I have no idea why the pot-stirrers here thought anyone was fighting. In fact, there are PMs in the background that are exactly the opposite. See, some people can actually talk about two sides of a coin without losing their stuffing, and those that cannot bear that would be a lot better off scrolling past. Or, jump in and try to police- that is fair game too- just don't have a meltdown when we ignore you.

Last post- great discussion Durzo, Tim, Gwen, Cleo, etc. I would love to keep talking game design, game economics, pros/cons of different design approaches, but I am fresh out of smelling salts for the faint of heart. Last post on this thread.
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

Now that this has been settled can we finally discuss getting rid of gallop comments for good? Thanks. Bye.
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k)
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Brandon Schultz wrote: 8 months ago Now that this has been settled can we finally discuss getting rid of gallop comments for good? Thanks. Bye.
Please!
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Andrew James wrote: 8 months ago As a person who runs one of the larger TB barns, of late ranks top 5/10 in total wins and claiming wins and has been around for awhile... I assure you the way to get SIM rich is not that.

Top sires are the cash cow. Full stop.

Now, why are we doing this again? There's nothing wrong or broken with the SIM economics. SB's continue to suck the excess money out of the game as designed, while producing a dash of hopium to a hundred plus players a year. It's a good system.

If there's any issue it's that the new real horses, particularly the sires should just be owned by the Steward and keep sucking money out. By introducing them to the SIM gen pop were countering the positive effect of the TBS sales.
Agree with all of this. These horses would suck more money out of the game if Em stood them. However, then we lose out on some of the fun factor, right? Owning nice things is fun, and fun is the whole point. I have a feeling that's why these animals are still being put up for sale.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jack Meyer »

Brandon Schultz wrote: 8 months ago Now that this has been settled can we finally discuss getting rid of gallop comments for good? Thanks. Bye.
Oh Good Lord!!
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

I’d be ok with that if workouts were consistent without equipment, but as long as equipment affects workouts , no thanks.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Kelly Haggerty wrote: 8 months ago Those that don't like it can suck eggs. :lol:
Raw or hard boiled? Because depending on which the task might be pretty difficult
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Andrew James
Eclipse Champion

Post by Andrew James »

Tim Matthews wrote: 8 months ago It is always confusing to me when people start calling an extremely normal interactions "bickering" or "complaining" or "drama". I have seen none of that in this thread (with the exception of one player). So I'll just close some discussion loops as normal :)
Yes, it most ceratinly is. Because the most reliable way to get one of those top studs is to breed and race volume. Big barns are more able to weather ups and downs and periods without top stud income while still making big purchases. Which is fine!

Of course there are small barns with huge wealth. It's just a lot harder and less comon. Think about it this way - large barn doesn't automatically mean you will be rich. But, if large barn wasn't the best way to get rich, then it wouldn't be the predominant playing style. Hope that makes sense.
Excellent rebuttal, honestly didn't really factor in the "getting a stud from breeding volume" angle which is very much true.

Also very much in agreeance with everyone who has said, what makes the SIM unique is how many different ways there are to play it.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Hello. "Do you like cheese? What kind of cheese do you like?" From the from the Unnoticed Habits of the High Functioning Code Talkers from SIM Year 8. An oldie but a goodie... To be continued...
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

i will fight any Man Woman or Child who takes my Gallops Away