horse "stories"

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

horse "stories"

Post by Gwen Morse »

I'm moving this point out of the simflation discussion to a place where it better belongs ...
Elkippos Larysios wrote: 7 months ago There is no scenario currently where, I buy that one claimer or solid with a great name and go: “Hey little dude! No one is giving you a chance, but I will” because he would be one of only a few horses in my barn, would have cost a good amount, and so, have being meaningful to me.
If you stick with the sim you will get these kinds of stories. Not this exact story, but you'll have modest horses that do great things and will be meaningful as a result. Part of the disconnect for you is that you're not breeding foals yet. People are giving you horses or you're buying them cheaply and you've only raced them for a few weeks.

New players of the sim, don't feel discouraged if none of your horses jump out at you and let you know they're future champion hiding behind a modest gallop. Race them to retirement. Breed foals from the most likely mares. Gallop the foals at Festivus. Train the yearlings. Put your debuting racers into maidens. Retire them when they stop earning. Breed the most likely mares. Start the cycle all over again. The meaningful "stories" will come.

I have a broodmare who is one of my retired Trial Park horses that has a grandbaby and great-grandbaby on the top 50 list for yearling workouts. Her daughters have been reasonably uninspiring racers but they're good broodmares. This is a multi-generational game.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Elkippos Larysios
Sprinter

Re: horse "stories"

Post by Elkippos Larysios »

Hello Gwen, apologies for diluting your other thread. My intention was to post exclusively about on-topic observations I had, from a newbie POV, but ended up rambling as more things came to mind.

I do plan to stick with the SIM, it's entertaining, competitive and educational too. My post (especially the quote above) was not meant as criticism, the SIM has being running for a long time, so it's natural and understandable to be in a more advanced or “mature” state. It was more of a “Damn, I wish I found it earlier” kind of thought or grievance.

Thank you for your encouragement. It's good to know these small individual success “stories” (as well as terrible unexpected events) do occur, as I find them engaging and giving a more realistic and personal tone to the SIM.
In fact, I experienced both on a small scale earlier today: A recently acquired underperformer winning a filled race outside trial park, and another placing well, but getting mildly injured in the process. It led me questioning the why's and how's and made them stood out from the rest of that day's runners.

I usually don't post much if at all in forums, but I wanted to participate a bit in this one without making some kind of new thread. My spamming spree ends here :lol:
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

A little dash of luck is the key ingredient to a new player's SIM career. Like I bred this guy in my second season: https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=59501 and for a long time he was highest ranked in the stakes win list before Fishing the Keys eventually knocked him out of the top spot. There is barely even a winner in the rest of his pedigree, let alone a millionaire. Then eventually I bred Metaphysical, who herself earned very little but she produced millionaire after millionaire with her colt foals. Lucking out on buying Two Toned in a TBS auction was also a bit career boost. Not only did he triple his purchase price in earnings, he exists in probably half the TR pedigrees in the game. Susie lucked out even bigger with Sidney around the same time.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Elkippos Larysios wrote: 7 months ago Hello Gwen, apologies for diluting your other thread. My intention was to post exclusively about on-topic observations I had, from a newbie POV, but ended up rambling as more things came to mind.

I do plan to stick with the SIM, it's entertaining, competitive and educational too. My post (especially the quote above) was not meant as criticism, the SIM has being running for a long time, so it's natural and understandable to be in a more advanced or “mature” state. It was more of a “Damn, I wish I found it earlier” kind of thought or grievance.
I didn't take anything you said as a dilution or critisicm. I thought this would make a good topic for new people and figured they might not see it in a relatively dry economics discussion.

As far as regrets on not finding the sim sooner, I have those also. My one true racehorse love is Easy Goer. There's a way to make broodmare daughters of his in the sim for a small fee. Unfortunately that code is very old and the mares it makes are terrible (to put it mildly). I regret not starting early enough that I could race Easy Goer grandbabies and see one win, even if just in a maiden.

I keep trying from time to time but it's my version of buying lottery tickets at this point.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100