Longer career blue hen

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Longer career blue hen

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I just retired a horse that wasn't very good on the track and had the longer career comment. I did a couple test hypos and was surprised, so I BSAd and she's a blue hen. Now I am wondering if we are collectively interpreting the longer career comment correctly.
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Re: Longer career blue hen

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

That would be great. Except is she a disappointing blue hen? This Black Filly has the longer career comment. I'm debating racing her at 6 or until she's done.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Leigh Ann Anderson wrote: 6 months ago That would be great. Except is she a disappointing blue hen? This Black Filly has the longer career comment. I'm debating racing her at 6 or until she's done.
She hypos ok. A- to Dream Police and A to Impacts. Those are the only hypos I tried. We will have to see what she threw. Sent her to Dream Police for a litmus test.
Laurel Addams
Classic Contender

Post by Laurel Addams »

What was her gallop?
Standing at stud
Bannerlord - DM/DR, 30k, A+ hypos
Funky Stank - TR, 10k, A+ hypos
Codebreaker - DR, 5k
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Laurel Addams wrote: 6 months ago What was her gallop?
ALB that turned stakes Wk9 Y64 https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1581806
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Longer career freak-star mare with a freak for a first foal
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1496089

Breeding shed freak-blue hen, hypos like a** and has a solid and productive
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1487150

I tend to ignore the breeding indicators now
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Sachmis is longer career star with a freak first foal
;p
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

I think we can ignore the comments for Stakes/Freaks, I've found they're more useful for the Allowance/Productives in telling if I should keep them around as broodmares.
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

I don't pay much attention to the longer career comment. To be honest, I don't pay much attention to any of the comments. I think of them as general information/guidelines, but don't believe they are the "be all and end all" of what I do and don't do. If that makes sense.
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

Autumn Blackmill wrote: 6 months ago I think we can ignore the comments for Stakes/Freaks, I've found they're more useful for the Allowance/Productives in telling if I should keep them around as broodmares.

agree - Most of the "productives" with the breeding shed comment came up formidable, longer careers generally said good/"not a good fit for classiest stables" comments, allowance with breeding shed are often stars+, longer career formidable or below.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

This is all very helpful. I have a stakes LB 2yo colt that looks really, really nice but has the LC comment. I was considering gelding him based on the comment, but I think maybe I will just leave him intact for now and ignore it. Sounds like it isn't worth assuming he won't hypo well and going for the tiny gelding improvement. Better to leave him alone and wait and see.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Stallion wise, I have seen longer career colts hypo super nice (e.g. Moon On Fire), and breeding shed colts hypo like crud (e.g. Royal Delusion). Both freaks.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Kelly Haggerty wrote: 6 months ago I just retired a horse that wasn't very good on the track and had the longer career comment. I did a couple test hypos and was surprised, so I BSAd and she's a blue hen. Now I am wondering if we are collectively interpreting the longer career comment correctly.
The prevailing theory is that breeding shed/longer career works off one each of the hidden stats on our horses and shows which number is bigger.

As an illustrative example:

Stakesy McStakesface:
Breeding Stat: 15.01
Racing Stat: 15.02

Stakesy is longer career.

Stakesy McStakesface:
Breeding Stat: 15.02
Racing Stat: 15.01

Now Stakesy is breeding shed

In both cases, Stakesy is basically evenly matched in both.

I think what some players are imagining is that longer career looks more like this:

Staksey McStakesface:
Breeding Stat: 1.00
Racing Stat: 15.01

You also need to keep in mind that hypos and BSA levels haven't been "adjusted" like gallops. I think this would be very good overall for the game, but players would likely rage-quit over their pet stallions and mares dropping from the A's to the B's or Hens to Formidables so even if she wasn't taking personal time away from the game, the Steward would likely never agree to it.

A horse that's galloping as a productive now may have been a stakes back when Hypos and BSA labels were set. So horses with a pair of 15's might have been the bees knees back then. Now you might need 17's in the breeding numbers to be reliably producing stakes and freak gallops but 15's still rate as a Blue Hen. So the game will tell you "not a very good racer" (ie: productive) and then "Blue Hen and A/A- hypos" and both are correct because the labels were set when different numbers mattered.

Finally, an improver's final gallop is what matters, not its gallop at Festivus. Everyone is saying that improvers don't switch from breeding shed to longer career when they peak. So if a horse jumps to a better race gallop, those are the gallops you compare to the breeding/career (ie: allowance + longer career, not productive + longer career). The former pair of gallops have a better chance of being a good breeder than the latter.

There's a lot of speculation in this post but I hope it helps you better understand what's going on.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Kelly Haggerty wrote: 6 months ago This is all very helpful. I have a stakes LB 2yo colt that looks really, really nice but has the LC comment. I was considering gelding him based on the comment, but I think maybe I will just leave him intact for now and ignore it. Sounds like it isn't worth assuming he won't hypo well and going for the tiny gelding improvement. Better to leave him alone and wait and see.
Until you have a reason to do otherwise, I would leave any good-pedigreed improver allowance gallops and up whole, if they say "longer career". If you race productives you might as well geld all of them because the likelihood that any one with the right pedigree will jump is low and so you might as well enjoy the gelding bonus on the group.

Gwen
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100