What is "the thing"?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

What is "the thing"?

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I've noticed that I can sometimes tell when a yearling is going to turn into a nice graded stakes type, even if the gallop and the workouts aren't necessarily outstanding. For example, when I had both the stakes LB "I Am Nightraider" and the Freak LB "Rosemead", I somehow knew the former was better than the latter. Same with other good horses I have bred and raised, and I am assuming most SIM players are the same, you get an inkling of who your stable stars are going to be.

Here's the rub, though. I have absolutely no idea what we are picking up on. If the gallop comment and the works are not it, what are these horses doing that is different? I've noticed that maybe they improve more with each work, or it is super easy to tell their equipment, but I have clods that do this also.

So....experienced players and big barns, what is "the thing" that we notice about these legends-in-the-making?
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: What is "the thing"?

Post by Stormy Peak »

I've done that with names a few times. Roughian being my best example.

I had her and another un-named yearling, both female, both stakes types, and both having similar works.
I had 2 names I wanted to use, and one of them was Roughian, which I had, had on reserve for a LONG time, so I wanted to put it on the nicer filly.

I came very close to naming Roughian, Foretold. : ) But for some reason at the last moment, I tagged the other filly with the name Foretold and Roughian....went on to, what was for me, unimaginable greatness. Foretold, she did well too, earned over a million dollars.

But, yeah, sometimes I just get a better feeling about 1 horse over a similar type horse. I think with me though, it often comes down to pedigree. I just seemed pulled towards one over the other one...even though both have good bloodlines, but I still, more often than not, can't say exactly why, or what is in one pedigree over the other that makes me feel that way.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I apparently have no clue how to judge horse talent when they're yearlings, because I was certain Insignia Imperalis was miles better than Fiery Eyes.
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Get friendly with Clark Hoss
Last edited by Anthony Zappulla 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

I don’t really have that spidey sense, unfortunately. I am jealous of folks who have it!
For instance.. I had very little excitement about Teal when she was a yearling. I only knew she was legit when she threw a 96 on debut. On the other hand, I thought Pineapple was going to be my Year 65 Oaks Horse, and she has turned out to be very lackluster, while Teal went on to win the Oaks.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I wanna hear from Pete. Every year he sells a batch of nice stakes horses for reasonable prices. These are legit, but not world-beaters. How does Pete know?

Cmon, Pete! Spill the beans!
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Seems like a lot of it is pedigree. Of course there are exceptions on both ends (great pedigree freaks who disappoint and weird pedigree stakes who run like crazy), but my read has always been that class typically prevails. Dozens of examples every year of those 57.2 dirt workers and those 58.1 turf workers who end up being stars, and most of them are stacked on the dam side.

I'll also acknowledge that there is something unexplainable in the human experience (call it vibes, intuition, whatever) that we should cherish and always find wonder in. This game is good for that. :)
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

It's familiarity with a family and an understanding of what a 'stakes' galloper from a family that you know inside out, backwards and forwards means, vs a random freak.

You might not always be right, but your odds are better if you wager on things you know, know how to develop, and know how to train. You can get SIM decades of value if you find, develop, and nurture entire families (focused on the mares).
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Eric Nalbone wrote: 6 months ago It's familiarity with a family and an understanding of what a 'stakes' galloper from a family that you know inside out, backwards and forwards means, vs a random freak.

You might not always be right, but your odds are better if you wager on things you know, know how to develop, and know how to train. You can get SIM decades of value if you find, develop, and nurture entire families (focused on the mares).
That's well said
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

Once in awhile I'll get some great feeling when I breed a horse - Serendipities was like that - I had a really good feeling about him long before he galloped "freak" - not that he was a major sprinter, but did crack 1mil in earnings.

DDDY was a complete shock. I bred his dam - an unraced formidable mare because I liked the female family.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

I think sometimes it’s time confusion, you notice a little something like maybe an unusually fast workout but nothing else and then at 3 or 4 they wake up and show you why that workout was no fluke .. other times I see that odd workout and it meant pretty much nothing but that doesn’t stick with you like that big time winner showing up .. Esspecially Krispy was the former in her workout and late blooming when blooming wasn’t a known feature in the game but there was another horse called This Old Road who never showed much and you would call a morning glory .. The same thought ran with both but Krispy had the “magic” and I suggest much of that happens after the fact