What did I do wrong

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Re: What did I do wrong

Post by Jon Xett »

For 2 year olds, I treat them all different depending on the year and the mix of F/S/A to P/S/C. Some years I spend more time on the Allowance types to try to get them up to speed. Recently, I have been working yearlings only 1 or 2 times. Babies! So when they turn 2, I am behind on training with the sprinters, which is ok for my router heavy outfit. I'll work the 2 year olds 1 to 3 times before a start. Most of the rest of their training is a chaotic mix of shed row walking, gallops, swimming and an occasional jog. I don't care if they are fit or not prior to their first race. Since Year 3, I have enjoyed racing much more because the math behind training regimens is not palatable. I'm stubborn that way. All of the behind the curtain tools like - Peak, Late Bloomers, Unfit, Rest, Soundness, Mudders, etc. are all just a confusing mish-mash of data to me. I get more information out of how they race after their first couple of starts. And even then, the SIM algorithms are so incredibly complex, that horse race results can still go sideways very quickly.

The one luxury I allow myself in these modern SIM times of massive data input, is to pay for equipment after multiple gallop sessions before they race. The one painful group consensus concession I have given into is to generally not race my S/C types unless I am really angry that they are S/C.

DO NOT ask me what my Trainer Stats are. My methods tend to not lead to above average statistics, again, because - Math!

"I believe my SIM horses are real-life flesh and blood animals" -> jX
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Jon Xett wrote: 6 months ago "I believe my SIM horses are real-life flesh and blood animals" -> jX
Hey, I’m not the only crazy one! Rock on Mr. Xett!

I tend to train my horses weekly until they get their equipment. (Anybody else finding equipment through gallops is getting harder and harder?). By then they are usually fit. Once fit, I tend to work them the same cycle as they would run, every 2-3 weeks. They jog first and they are consistently still fully fit before the work. I haven’t had any loose fitness.

I do find it curious that there is an actual number for fitness. I wonder can they be over fit and burn themselves out too early in a race? As I have seen this in rl racehorses, being too sharp, but this is just a random thought.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 6 months ago
I do find it curious that there is an actual number for fitness. I wonder can they be over fit and burn themselves out too early in a race? As I have seen this in rl racehorses, being too sharp, but this is just a random thought.
This is a thing
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

The Steward wrote: 6 months ago
This is a thing
Thanks much! All bits of knowledge is appreciated!
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

This is a thing
This is my cue to pack up my horses and go on a little sim vacation, lounge on the beach, put on a few pounds and see what that does for the flagging race results. It's getting too cold here anyway, both the trainer and the trainees could use some sun. I'll set my alarm for week 16.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Abby Brooks
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Abby Brooks »

Shannon Hunt wrote: 6 months ago
This is a thing
This is my cue to pack up my horses and go on a little sim vacation, lounge on the beach, put on a few pounds and see what that does for the flagging race results. It's getting too cold here anyway, both the trainer and the trainees could use some sun. I'll set my alarm for week 16.
Done this week 5 of this year. can report
i have the dogfood win %
Testing The Waters|Multi G1 AWM/AWR winner|40k
Dont make pee jokes, or you'll be barked at in the super secret sim discord where grown adults whine about one another