What did I do wrong

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

What did I do wrong

Post by J.P Dogood »

This has been happening to all my 2 year olds but I think this one hurts the most.

Lei has a top 5 (I think) workout time at 5 furlongs on synthetic and then ran like a schlub in her first race. Stakes LB at the moment. I know I didn’t run her in a barrier but felt like between all the workouts and the week 9 gallop she should’ve been prepared. Any thoughts are appreciated

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1691486
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Re: What did I do wrong

Post by Sara Julin »

Maybe the ones in front is stakes too and possibly freaks?
First week in router is super competitive!
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Also broke inwards isn't the best of starts
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Everyone is always excited to debut their routers. The ones in front of her might have also been stakes or freaks. She might also just have needed a race for experience. That first round of route races is always a bloodbath.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Nicholas Johnson
Miler

Post by Nicholas Johnson »

In the first week, you can get a hodge podge of different outcomes. Like, my other stakes ran like allowances, while my allowances ran like their stakes. Even my freak decided this week wasn't the week to even show out.

Frankly, I don't hold much weight in the first week for the horses who don't run well. They just need time. So, believe me when I say, it was nothing you did wrong.
Johnson Stables
Margaux
2x SC AWR Matron Winner

Pine Mountain Standing: 35,000
Y64 SC AWR Classic Winner
Y65 Pegasus Route Winner
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

What everyone else said. But also, barrier trials provide not just fitness but experience, so that can give a horse an edge. She'll develop and in the meantime you can make yourself feel better by looking at examples of horses that earned a bunch and won SC or Simmys but didn't have the best debut. Chin up!
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

I’ll echo the others and also say she probably needed more work her 2yo year. I’m looking at one timed workout and two gallops over a 10 week period, which may have caused her to lose fitness and allowed others to have an advantage. No barrier trial necessary; normal training is fine.

Edit: just to be clear, debuts ARE a crapshoot and don’t matter long term. :)
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

Well this all made me feel much better. I just couldn’t remember seeing virtually all my best 2 year olds debuting this poorly. Here’s to her second race!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Post race, she has a fitness level of 88. Some of the horses that beat her are nearly at 200. :-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

The Steward wrote: 6 months ago Post race, she has a fitness level of 88. Some of the horses that beat her are nearly at 200. :-)
Interesting to note that there is an actual calculation of a horse's fitness level. jX
Last edited by Jon Xett 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Yea on the fitness note while the horse did indeed have a lot of training as a yearling it had very little as a 2yo so likely lost most of the fitness it built up as a 2yo. I try to consistently train all my horses until they start racing. They don't need barrier trails (and in my experience based on another thread barrier trials are actually not a great way to get them fit) but they need something.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

I will say, I forgot to barrier trial my 2yos this season and saw a significant drop off of my horses breaking their maidens first out. I know for sure they were all fit as heck since I jog and work them once a week. Barrier Trials for experience points seem to be a great idea too.
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Smith »

Carole Hanson wrote: 6 months ago I will say, I forgot to barrier trial my 2yos this season and saw a significant drop off of my horses breaking their maidens first out. I know for sure they were all fit as heck since I jog and work them once a week. Barrier Trials for experience points seem to be a great idea too.
Interesting as i just assume they waddle in the msw as long as they can place or show… maybe week 16 crack that maiden… in trs I suppose they can reasonably win nw2s but for the drs breaking maiden usually means their career is over, for my barn at least.
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 6 months ago Yea on the fitness note while the horse did indeed have a lot of training as a yearling it had very little as a 2yo so likely lost most of the fitness it built up as a 2yo. I try to consistently train all my horses until they start racing. They don't need barrier trails (and in my experience based on another thread barrier trials are actually not a great way to get them fit) but they need something.
Similar - I give them weekly works until they start racing (last work tends t be 10-13 days prior to first race); productives are galloped routinely for fitness in case they improve and I'm not stuck trying to get them fit for their first race
I'm just here for the fun of it
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

For 2yo routes I do timed work every 2 weeks, the last one being W8, and then a gallop on 9.1
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)