Organizing Horses

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Re: Organizing Horses

Post by Laura Smith »

I used spreadsheets for years, custom barns are a relatively recent addition, but they're an absolute godsend.

I mostly used my spreadsheets for entering, because I do all my entries in order of last date raced. These days I just filter my racing barn by "not entered" and sort by "last raced" and go from there, but in the olden days I'd have a spreadsheet with one row for each horse, organized by age and breed, and columns for sire, dam, etc. Then I had 16 rows, one for each week, and when a horse raced I'd put the country abbreviation in the appropriate week box. So it was reasonably easy to see at a glance when a horse last raced, how frequently, and where.

Now I use custom barns, like most. I have:

Active Runners - just what it says. Horses from "yearlings equipped" automatically move here upon turning 2.
Runners to wait on - horses that I've been disappointed with so far=, and am not actively racing, but am hoping to improve with age
2YOs equip not done - anything that I didn't manage to complete equips on before they turned 2. Horses from "yearlings no equip" automatically move here upon turning 2.
To Sell barn - runners to sell.
Waiting for AJ barn - shipped to my farm and waiting to turn 5 for free AJing.

Yearlings Equipped - equip confirmed or reasonably certain. Move automatically to active runners at year change.
Yearlings No Equip - not finished, move to 2YOs no equip at year change.

Main Breeding Barn - mares I intend to breed.
Mares to Sell - self explanatory.
Mares to Lease - "

Stallion Barn - all my studs in once place for quick access.
Foals Barn - same, easy place to view all foals.

Downside of this system (I only do entries from Active Runners and I only breed from Main Breeding) is that periodically I have to double check that no purchases, leases, etc. are left rotting away without a barn, because I don't always remember to assign them to a barn right away. I forgot about a Stew-bred until it was 4 this way.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

I enter the most runners and racers every season. I run everything from productive up. The only spreadsheet I am currently using is this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing for my upcoming year 66 "Purge" auction series.
As far as entering goes I just use the racing barn. First I start with any freaks I currently have by highlighting in the gallop box freaks. Then in the status box I highlight not entered. Now I know what freaks need a race I further sort by last raced and then I know when they can race again. I do this with stakes as well. Once they are done I move onto 4yo and up. By this time the only 4 yo and up in my racing barn are allowance and up. I start with breed/distance and enter them then so on and so on. Next I do the 3yo allowance the same way by breed/distance. I run the 3yo productives in claiming races and do those the same as the allowance. I do not keep any 3yo that are solid and under peak. Those 3yo solid and under that are not peak will gallop once a week by breed to keep them fit. As for 2yo allowance they are entered the same as the older horse by breed/distance, 2yo productives run claimers. All 2yo that are solid and under peak get pensioned. All 2yo solid and under not peak also gallop once a week by breed.
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

As for breeding being my barn is so large I use the add/on Equiarmour broodmare book. It's like using a fancy spreadsheet I can sort by breed distance, stakes producers/winners and pecentage of allowance, stakes, or freaks. Without this my breeding would take longer. Also I mainly use in-house studs which helps.
I am able to have such a big stable due to the fact I have my own farm.

Speaking of that if you have anything 4yo and under just pension them, ship them to McGee's Pub and stable and offer them to me for $0 and poof they are no longer in your stable.
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

Wow that was a lot of typing and thinking. Whew.

PS I do use the smart barns as well but mine are one for studs and another for mares that nick A+. Oh and one for stakes winners.