RL off topic question

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

RL off topic question

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Does anyone have a good approximate cost per sq ft for a "from-the-studs-out" remodel in SoCal? By this I mean all new wiring, plumbing, HVAC, roof, windows, insulation....the answer to "does it need?" is yes. I found a really awesome old house with an amazing layout, but the same people lived in it for 65 years and did basically nothing so it is time for a major refresh. Thing is, I have no idea what that would cost, so trying to factor it into what I could pay. 1430 sq ft single-story.
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Re: RL off topic question

Post by John Smith »

not really researched, so grain of salt here, but hearsay on neighbors nearby, they pretty much tore down all but something like one wall to keep it as a "renovation" by law and just rebuilt the house.

However there seems to be some tax credits floating around, I think for windows, HVAC for sure, maybe plumbing - certainly water conservation stuff.

I have thought about similar but so far the roof isnt leaking, so why fix what aint broken!?...hopefully I can get out if the wiring is so bad it catches fire!

Guess my biggest concern around here is the old houses with galvanized sewage/plumbing.. I know coming in should have been updated already (which it has) but who knows what that sewage line looks like under ground to the right of way.

A few years ago it was about 300 per square foot on a new build - renos are just so site specific. I know the new build number because we were going to go ADU use that to live while house was getting a reno in future because it is going to be a mess (plaster walls with Latte, etc etc)

Anyway, pretty sure this no help, but if you find a trustworthy contractor let me know so I can have them come tell me what i can't get accomplished before I die!
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Re: RL off topic question

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Thanks John. I have heard the $250-$300 per sq ft for new build number, too. Not sure how that would translate because the utilities and footprint are there, no lot prep. But, I would need to pay for demo, and in a 1955 build there is bound to be something, or things, that CA law requires be remediated and treated a certain way, like lead or asbestos. If it is $200 or more per foot, I couldn't swing it and the numbers wouldn't even make sense for the neighborhood.