Breeding to a popular stud…

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Breeding to a popular stud…

Post by Randall Allen »

Who sets the arbitrary limit. The people who race 500 horses thinks 501 isn’t ok. The person who races 100 thinks 101 isn’t ok. The person with 25 thinks 26 isn’t ok.

Want to race multiple breeds? Want to try your hand at a new division of thoroughbreds? A sim tax on numbers will discourage that.

Taking the “let’s create a problem” ideas can lead to more radical ideas. Next we will be discussing an upper limit on stud fees. How about no stud fees over 10k? How about studs can only have 10 foals per year? Let’s limit owners to only entering 1 horse in the stewards cup, even though an owner has two that have a legit chance to win. The ideas could get more and more extreme where you only have a handful of players that even bother to play.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Ok, while we are talking limits, what about a limit on how good horse stats can get before they boomerang? This may even exist, but it would keep the horses from getting so freaky that the game isn't competitive anymore. Look at the yearling workout times over the last 7 seasons or so. Some of these are getting just crazy. A yearling does 6f in 1:09.39 on turf and 1:09.02 on dirt?

Of course, workouts don't necessarily translate to super performance on the racetrack, but it might be better if there were a narrower range of horses and only the very rare superfreak. Just pondering, so don't blow your lids.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Andrew Chillin wrote: 5 months ago I think Ronnie is a big wooden spoon from way back.

Or he wants some tax the rich sim drama for break
Ronnie and I have fought about taxes before, so probably not.
Nick Gilmore wrote: 5 months ago Are you kidding or just saying this to stir the pot? I’ve never heard anything so laughable. How many people do you think would keep playing under your grand scheme of things?
I think your last sentence brings up a good point - Ronnie's proposal is excessive. But he's looking to address a real issue. I think we should always default to keeping the discussion respectful and substantive, unless we see a PARTICULARLY embarrassing post.

Which... by God... here it is... :shock:
Randall Allen wrote: 5 months ago Who sets the arbitrary limit. The people who race 500 horses thinks 501 isn’t ok. The person who races 100 thinks 101 isn’t ok. The person with 25 thinks 26 isn’t ok.

Want to race multiple breeds? Want to try your hand at a new division of thoroughbreds? A sim tax on numbers will discourage that.

Taking the “let’s create a problem” ideas can lead to more radical ideas. Next we will be discussing an upper limit on stud fees. How about no stud fees over 10k? How about studs can only have 10 foals per year? Let’s limit owners to only entering 1 horse in the stewards cup, even though an owner has two that have a legit chance to win. The ideas could get more and more extreme where you only have a handful of players that even bother to play.
What does this MEAN, dude? You're opposed to the concept of aritrariness? Cool. I think the owners of the game are the people who set the "arbitrary limit." Because they own the game. And decide the arbitrary rules. Duh?

And who are the people going "You know what, 500 is good. But 501 should be illegal, and I will not accept it." Who are they, Randall?

Can you discuss any rule changes or proposals to this game without getting COMPLETELY hysterical? I challenge you, Randall. TRY not to lose your mind if someone simply makes a post on a thread like this. Just because I said Large Barn is a cheat code (true) doesn't mean you have to take it so personally that you lose all critical thinking skills. TRY to act normal. Or just don't post! Do everyone a favor, and never post. Because this thing? This monstrosity that you decided to hit "submit" on? This was TOUGH to read.

"Let's create a problem" - brother YOU are the problem. Why do you think any rule change would lead to limiting entries in the SC. Seriously homie WHY do you think that.

Your post displays such a shockingly low level of comprehension. Remember when you PM'd everyone in the game to debase yourself and beg them to vote for you into the Hall of Fame? Your post itself belongs in the Hall of Fame WAY more than you, man, just because it's so incredible. That's not good!

(edited to add: unless you are joking. in which case, this is a level of satire that i couldn't imagine, so bravo!)
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

It was satire example and a joke Tim. Apparently, a poor one. I don’t want any limits lol. Wow chill with the personal attacks bro.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Ronnie Dee wrote: 5 months ago
Tim Matthews wrote: 5 months ago Anyway, all this is why LARGE BARN is a cheat code in this game. You can breed insane numbers for super cheap with no thought involved and absolutely steamroll everyone else.
I agree with you that a LARGE BARN is a cheat code in this game. To partially reduce this edge, I suggest that a "progressive breeding fee" (payable at the time of breeding) be instituted. For example, in a given year:

Foals 1-100: $1000 (same fee as a vet visit) per foal
Foals 101-200: $10,000 per foal
Foals 201 and up: $20,000 per foal

For example, I bred 136 foals this year. So my breeding fee total would be: (100 * $1000) + (36 * $10,000) = $460,000
Player A fee for year (100 foals) would be: $100,000
Player B fee for year (200 foals) would be: $100,000 + $1,000,000 = $1,100,000
Player C fee for year (500 foals) would be: $100,000 + $1,000,000 + (300 * $20,000) = $7,100,000
Player D fee for year (1000 foals) would be: $100,000 + $1,000,000 + (800 * $20,000) = $17,100,000
So players who heavily uses the "cheat code" are progressively penalized more.
I ... think I really like this. Like a lot. To borrow from reddit, you get my upvote. It would also have the effect of just nuking a crapload of money from the SIM in a way that currently only happens today via Steward auctions.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Ronnie Dee wrote: 5 months ago I agree with you that a LARGE BARN is a cheat code in this game. To partially reduce this edge, I suggest that a "progressive breeding fee" (payable at the time of breeding) be instituted. For example, in a given year:

For example, I bred 136 foals this year. So my breeding fee total would be: (100 * $1000) + (36 * $10,000) = $460,000
Player C fee for year (500 foals) would be: $100,000 + $1,000,000 + (300 * $20,000) = $7,100,000
Player D fee for year (1000 foals) would be: $100,000 + $1,000,000 + (800 * $20,000) = $17,100,000
I guess this works if you have no qualms about simultaneously stomping on the little guys.
I own 219 horses, and bred 110 foals.. A larger than usual crop for me. I have seven (yes SEVEN) horses in my racing barn at the moment. You think I should have had to pay $200,000 extra, on top of lease fees, and on top of stud fees, just to conduct business in my stable?
And if you want to get technical about it, I bred mostly fillies this year. 110 foals. 13 colts, 97 fillies. You think I haven’t already paid my dues in “Filly Fee” Game Points? Do that math using the market price of Game Points in the exchange.
Last edited by Lily Wilkins 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Eric Nalbone wrote: 5 months ago
Tim Matthews wrote: 5 months ago Anyway, all this is why LARGE BARN is a cheat code in this game. You can breed insane numbers for super cheap with no thought involved and absolutely steamroll everyone else.
I agree with you that a LARGE BARN is a cheat code in this game. To partially reduce this edge, I suggest that a "progressive breeding fee" (payable at the time of breeding) be instituted. For example, in a given year:

I ... think I really like this. Like a lot. To borrow from reddit, you get my upvote. It would also have the effect of just nuking a crapload of money from the SIM in a way that currently only happens today via Steward auctions.
Lol I would just leave. And I say that as someone who currently is trying to cut numbers. If someone has the time and energy to breed and race hundreds of horses, I don't see why that's a less valid strategy than someone who doesn't want to spend that time but can use GP to load up on cash and buy their way into nicer horses.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I think some of you are wrong and some of you are right about some of the things said and all of your opinions on the matter.
;p
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Opinions are like you know what…everyone has them?
Is that what you were trying to say Andrew?
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Elkippos Larysios
Sprinter

Post by Elkippos Larysios »

Andrew Chillin wrote: 5 months ago I think some of you are wrong and some of you are right about some of the things said and all of your opinions on the matter.
I respectfully disagree
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Mr. Lord Rich wrote: 5 months ago Opinions are like you know what…everyone has them?
Is that what you were trying to say Andrew?
Buttholes
;p
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Randall Allen wrote: 5 months ago It was satire example and a joke Tim. Apparently, a poor one. I don’t want any limits lol. Wow chill with the personal attacks bro.
How was it satire if you also meant what you were saying?
Lily Wilkins wrote: 5 months ago I guess this works if you have no qualms about simultaneously stomping on the little guys.
I own 219 horses, and bred 110 foals.. A larger than usual crop for me. I have seven (yes SEVEN) horses in my racing barn at the moment. You think I should have had to pay $200,000 extra, on top of lease fees, and on top of stud fees, just to conduct business in my stable?
And if you want to get technical about it, I bred mostly fillies this year. 110 foals. 13 colts, 97 fillies. You think I haven’t already paid my dues in “Filly Fee” Game Points? Do that math using the market price of Game Points in the exchange.
I think Ronnie's proposal goes too far, but 200k seems like it should be a drop in the bucket for you! :D
Shannon Hunt wrote: 5 months ago Lol I would just leave. And I say that as someone who currently is trying to cut numbers. If someone has the time and energy to breed and race hundreds of horses, I don't see why that's a less valid strategy than someone who doesn't want to spend that time but can use GP to load up on cash and buy their way into nicer horses.
This is a great point. Ronnie's original proposal could prohibit players from getting a foothold. The game has signaled a desire to discourage large numbers and reduce overall cash, and these goals could probably be reached through other means.
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

Eric Nalbone wrote: 5 months ago

If I owned the game I definitely would not want any limit on the number of horses created.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Andrew James
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Andrew James »

I'm also not sure what problem we as a group are trying to solve on this thread anymore.

For the most part the popular stud breeding issue is a non issue. Just let people do what they want. Id just price my stud correctly, others like the hard limit, others the Jon Xett route. All good solutions. So is just finding another stud if the one you want is full. If there's one thing we're not lacking in this game it's very good sires.
AJR SC Winners: Karsa, Can't Reconcile, The Reckoners, Amsterdam, Forge of Darkness, Nightchill, The Wheel of Time
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Hot take: simflation is not the big problem people think it is. The earth is also round.
;p