Steward bred auctions: In the rearview mirror

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Steward bred auctions: In the rearview mirror

Post by Gwayne's World »

Take a look at the purchase price for this eventual champion:

https://www.simhorseracing.com//horse.php?HorseID=18115

Post any noteworthy purchases that you may come across here.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Re: Steward bred auctions: In the rearview mirror

Post by Eric Nalbone »

There are tons of these floating around in that particular timeframe as the horse population was built back up.

Here's a $10,000 purchase from the International Stud. Lucrezia Borgia. I bred and named all those European-lined routers that are listed as bred by the International Stud for the Steward as the SIM was coming back and trying to diversify lines, that the Steward dispersed as auction fodder. Other notables from that International Stud barn are horses like Fumetsu, Right Hand Man, Nitakupiga (still one of my better names, it roughly translates to 'I will beat you up' in Swahili, which I somehow knew as a freshman in college, likely from my linguistics course).

This is actually all tied up in why my stable is what it is today, even 50 SIM years after the fact. The reason for the low prices was that we were only allowed to keep a certain number of racehorses, a certain number of retired horses, and a set 'restart' amount of money from our old stable when the SIM reopened. I happened to get lucky that I won the Derby with Saga the year before the SIM hiatus, so I had Saga hop right out of the gate and earn me $4m in three races to open up the new SIM, while my 3yo crop of Edict, Righteous and Strongerable were exceptional 3yos (Edict won the Baltimore Crown, Righteous won the Midsummer Classic and Jockey Club Gold Cup, and Strongerable backed up after initially going the Derby route to be one of the top milers of his era).

Kept the right broodmares so the pipeline was as good or better than nearly anyone else (Jon, Laura, Ara, Brianna etc. were the ones who could hang with it), had the most money so buying these horses at auctions when everyone's bank accounts were wildly depressed and boom.

End Of The Line sold for $40,000. Laughterintherain sold for $25,000. Wonder is arguably one of the 3-5 greatest mares in SIM history and sold for $5,000. There are something like ~52 millionaire steward-breds and another 8 or so millionaires bred by the International Stud that became millionaires, and exactly one (Bara) sold for 7 figures.

It was a weird, weird time in the game.

Edit: for those who may not be aware. From ~2007-2009 the SIM was closed while The Steward attended college. That's the 'restart' I'm talking about in 2009.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Eric Nalbone wrote: 4 months ago Edit: for those who may not be aware. From ~2007-2009 the SIM was closed while The Steward attended college. That's the 'restart' I'm talking about in 2009.
Nitpicking, but the sim was closed 03-06. You must have slept through that class ;)
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Wonder how a cap on the number of horses you could own would fly today?
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

Here is another one that was a good find with an amazing price

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=7382

I was a new player and pretty much spent most of my account on this mare. She went on to not only pay for herself many times over in racing but also in how well her foals did when they raced.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Gwayne's World wrote: 4 months ago Wonder how a cap on the number of horses you could own would fly today?
It wasn't a limit on barn size, but just a limit on how many horses from your old stable that you could "import" into the new SIM.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Dang it! https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=14494 She was not one of the ones I kept during this tumultuous time.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Tim Matthews wrote: 4 months ago
Eric Nalbone wrote: 4 months ago Edit: for those who may not be aware. From ~2007-2009 the SIM was closed while The Steward attended college. That's the 'restart' I'm talking about in 2009.
Nitpicking, but the sim was closed 03-06. You must have slept through that class ;)
Hah apologies for the error. I graduated in 2009, so you are definitely correct on the timing. It was winter of 05/06 that I was helping on the international stud work as the SIM reopened. Time does fly, we'll be at the 20-year mark of that event soon enough. Crazy.