Article Writing and AI

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Re: Article Writing and AI

Post by Lily Wilkins »

I like what Tim said, and am happy to help out with QC/Proofreading if needed!
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I volunteer to be chief editor of articles
;p
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Elkippos Larysios wrote: 4 months ago
Andrew Chillin wrote: 4 months ago Yes but can I write my jockey * fan fiction?
Paying 20k if you send it to me in pm
Lol
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

As a college professor AI writing has come up a time or two at work. My understanding is that the existing AI detection software is limited and both false positives and negatives are possible. You also run into the issue that people can use AI in different ways. We would likely all agree that its a problem to have someone just ask some language model to write an article for them, but is it an issue if a nonnative english speaker finds it easier to write something in their native tongue and then asks AI to translate? Both are AI generated but obviously very different in terms of the effort put in by the writer. There is also a range in AIs while the free ones tend to be not stellar and easy to detect some of the paid ones can generate much nicer writing and are only going to get better and better, knowing how to actually use them also helps so it becomes an equity issue where folks with real $$$ can get away with it, others not. The moral of which is there really is no good answer.

Putting some form of limit on the number of articles a person can submit in X amount of time would be relatively straightforward to get around at least the total bombardment issue, but not AI articles more generally. A screening process could help some, but it takes a person/persons to do it and its not going to be 100% accurate and will certainly lead to some drama/hurt feelings.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

In other sim horse racing games that have pics for every horse, have multiple pics of same horses all over the place
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Sue Wentz
Sprinter

Post by Sue Wentz »

There's already a four article per week limit and either a permanent archive or a time-limited one, depending on the type of article.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

This is so heartbreaking for all those putting in the work to write real articles relying on the income to get by. I remember being a newer player and counting down the days before I could submit articles to afford my fees every day. 😔
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

My vote is to just put a note in bold red text that AI generated text will not be accepted and the feature race editor has absolutely final decision. Allow resubmission of articles rewritten/edited to have appropriate flow and context.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Vicki Johnson
Miler

Post by Vicki Johnson »

I sure hate to see the articles stop. I am not a beginner (according to the rules) but do use it to fund my game along with my real cash flow. I just putz and play with the game so the articles really help me. I try hard to include some info based on research about racing since this is not the area where I have had my years of experience in the horse world.

Like Sue mentioned in her comment, I put alot of thought and effort into them plus try to incorporate my sense of humor in the articles. It takes a while to write the things and hopefully bring a smile to some of the other players.

This reminds me of work since someone will say that all the nurses need education on a specific topic. You can use the spray everyone with education method and pray you get the one who isn't performing the care correctly. Another way is to look at it (I think a person called Donna Wright came up with it) is it a system, compliance, or education problem? How this relates to the writing of articles includes a. list rules that you have to write your own article. b. like mentioned, use a format to check for the illegal method. c. don't publish those who are done incorrectly d. if repeated event happens, don't let them write for 3 months or something. Again, i would make sure whoever is doing it knows not to do it and limit their opportunity instead of punishing the entire group. otherwise, i might have to start cleaning stalls again in the SIM to raise money....

thanks for opportunity to share
Vicki Johnson
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

Vicki Johnson wrote: 4 months ago I sure hate to see the articles stop. I am not a beginner (according to the rules) but do use it to fund my game along with my real cash flow. I just putz and play with the game so the articles really help me. I try hard to include some info based on research about racing since this is not the area where I have had my years of experience in the horse world.

Like Sue mentioned in her comment, I put alot of thought and effort into them plus try to incorporate my sense of humor in the articles. It takes a while to write the things and hopefully bring a smile to some of the other players.

This reminds me of work since someone will say that all the nurses need education on a specific topic. You can use the spray everyone with education method and pray you get the one who isn't performing the care correctly. Another way is to look at it (I think a person called Donna Wright came up with it) is it a system, compliance, or education problem? How this relates to the writing of articles includes a. list rules that you have to write your own article. b. like mentioned, use a format to check for the illegal method. c. don't publish those who are done incorrectly d. if repeated event happens, don't let them write for 3 months or something. Again, i would make sure whoever is doing it knows not to do it and limit their opportunity instead of punishing the entire group. otherwise, i might have to start cleaning stalls again in the SIM to raise money....

thanks for opportunity to share
Vicki Johnson
Want to borrow my manure fork? It's only slightly used. :mrgreen:
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I will PM you
Elkippos Larysios
Sprinter

Post by Elkippos Larysios »

I love the articles function, I do not love the money incentive.

The quality and effort is so vastly different between each article, you can immediately tell which ones are written solely for the money, and which ones are genuine and with intent to help, educational e.t.c. Even without taking the AI generated ones into account (which are truly terrible).

When I first started, articles (and forum posts) were an invaluable help for me to understand the various functions, nuances, and details of the SIM.
But I soon realized I had to search for articles from specific authors due to that variation in quality, or shift through a lot of "500 words of nothing" articles to find useful ones.

As a complete newbie, I think the players who need the money most from the articles, are the least qualified to write them. I mean, when I struggle with money because I mismanage my barn and/or were careless, should I write a most likely ignorant article about subjects I have no idea about, just to earn that 20k? And I can do it 4 times, even! For maximum annoyance. It's not right.

I found the best articles are from authors who probably don't even care about the $$ but had something interesting and/or helpful to share with the community from their own goodwill.

Just a newbie's opinion.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 4 months ago As a college professor AI writing has come up a time or two at work. My understanding is that the existing AI detection software is limited and both false positives and negatives are possible. You also run into the issue that people can use AI in different ways. We would likely all agree that its a problem to have someone just ask some language model to write an article for them, but is it an issue if a nonnative english speaker finds it easier to write something in their native tongue and then asks AI to translate? Both are AI generated but obviously very different in terms of the effort put in by the writer. There is also a range in AIs while the free ones tend to be not stellar and easy to detect some of the paid ones can generate much nicer writing and are only going to get better and better, knowing how to actually use them also helps so it becomes an equity issue where folks with real $$$ can get away with it, others not. The moral of which is there really is no good answer.

Putting some form of limit on the number of articles a person can submit in X amount of time would be relatively straightforward to get around at least the total bombardment issue, but not AI articles more generally. A screening process could help some, but it takes a person/persons to do it and its not going to be 100% accurate and will certainly lead to some drama/hurt feelings.
I am actually writing a book now and using AI as my first editor. It is pretty awesome for this. It even gives me feedback like "you changed tone here, did you mean to do that?". It is a great help, but shouldn't be a substitute for engagement and thought.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

AI? What AI?
Simulated horse racing, also known as simhorseracing, has emerged as a niche but thriving community within the broader landscape of online gaming and sports simulation. While some may dismiss it as a mere virtual pastime, there are compelling reasons why articles about simhorseracing should be allowed and even celebrated. This essay explores the educational and entertainment value that such articles can offer, shedding light on the unique aspects of this virtual sport.

Educational Value:

Complex Strategy and Decision-Making:
Simhorseracing involves intricate strategies and decision-making processes akin to real horse racing. Writers can delve into the complexities of breeding, training, and race strategies, providing readers with valuable insights into the simulation's mechanics. Analyzing these aspects can enhance critical thinking and strategic skills.

Economics of Simulated Horse Racing:
The simulated horse racing world often has its own in-game economy, with virtual currencies, auctions, and market dynamics. Articles about the economic aspects of simhorseracing can offer readers a unique perspective on digital economies, fostering economic literacy and understanding of virtual markets.

Simulation Technology and Game Design:
Simulated horse racing platforms are a testament to advancements in simulation technology and game design. Articles exploring the technical aspects, innovations, and challenges faced by developers can contribute to a better understanding of the gaming industry's evolution and its broader implications.

Entertainment Value:

Community Building and Engagement:
Simhorseracing fosters a passionate community of players who share a common interest. Articles can serve as a means to connect enthusiasts, share experiences, and build a sense of camaraderie within the community. This social aspect enhances the overall enjoyment of the virtual sport.

Storytelling and Narrative Building:
Simulated horse racing often generates captivating stories as players navigate the unpredictable outcomes of races and breeding. Articles can serve as a platform for storytelling, chronicling the triumphs, challenges, and unexpected turns within the simulated world. This narrative element adds depth and emotional resonance to the simhorseracing experience.

Cultural Impact and Trends:
As simhorseracing gains popularity, it becomes a cultural phenomenon with its own trends and phenomena. Articles can explore the cultural impact of simulated horse racing, reflecting on how it intersects with broader trends in online gaming, sports simulation, and virtual communities.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, articles about simhorseracing should be embraced and allowed due to the significant educational and entertainment value they offer. From unraveling the intricacies of in-game strategies to exploring the economic dynamics and fostering community engagement, these articles contribute to a richer understanding and appreciation of the simulated horse racing world. As virtual sports continue to evolve, so too does the need to recognize and celebrate the diverse interests and communities that emerge within these digital realms.
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

My response is not AI generated.

How about no changes to current human articles or art?

How about ALL AI articles, AI songs and AI pictures be required to be identified as “AI article” on the header and as “AI picture” on the picture or AI song in the link? This would allow for zero payment for Players who use AI and would allow for all AI to be placed in an appropriate AI bin on a an AI page under an AI banner. Hence, no ban on AI stuff that includes proper identification and credit.

Protect and reward human creativity.