Disappointing Start - Year 66

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Inca Stables
Eclipse Champion

Disappointing Start - Year 66

Post by Inca Stables »

This game can drive a person nuts occasionally. I have started off the new year 1 for 108. One Win in 108 starts.

Makes me want to clean out my stable and start over.

Inca Stables
Jack Meyer
Eclipse Champion

Re: Disappointing Start - Year 66

Post by Jack Meyer »

Inca Stables wrote: 4 months ago This game can drive a person nuts occasionally. I have started off the new year 1 for 108. One Win in 108 starts.

Inca Stables
I know the feeling, just keep pushing on. Something keeps us coming back doesn't it????
My Sires:
DR -Mr.White Socks - 50,000
Appy Sprinter- Wings Of Inferno - 15,000
Appy Sprinter - Chain Of Thorns - 7,500
Appy Miler - Chasing Dragons - 15,000
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Here is my own rule for this, cause it used to happen to me every year! If your runners don’t start winning again on their second starts for the season, you need a stable cull. If they start winning again from second start onwards throughout the year, then you might need to do some pre season exercise with everything that didn’t run in week 16 for future breaks. The break time rest seems to be a bit squiffy compared to normal operation and it has big impacts on certain trainings styles. The slightly different rest set up plus bored people training their horses means you run into a different rest and fitness scenario than the rest of the year.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Cleo Patra wrote: 4 months ago Here is my own rule for this, cause it used to happen to me every year! If your runners don’t start winning again on their second starts for the season, you need a stable cull. If they start winning again from second start onwards throughout the year, then you might need to do some pre season exercise with everything that didn’t run in week 16 for future breaks. The break time rest seems to be a bit squiffy compared to normal operation and it has big impacts on certain trainings styles. The slightly different rest set up plus bored people training their horses means you run into a different rest and fitness scenario than the rest of the year.
Interesting!!
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Cleo Patra wrote: 4 months ago Here is my own rule for this, cause it used to happen to me every year! If your runners don’t start winning again on their second starts for the season, you need a stable cull. If they start winning again from second start onwards throughout the year, then you might need to do some pre season exercise with everything that didn’t run in week 16 for future breaks. The break time rest seems to be a bit squiffy compared to normal operation and it has big impacts on certain trainings styles. The slightly different rest set up plus bored people training their horses means you run into a different rest and fitness scenario than the rest of the year.
I am glad you wrote this. Some years I cannot get mine right after break at all. It was a little better this time around, but it can be hard to have them fit and rested, both.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Also, if your best horses ran W16 they likely haven’t run yet this year, and any 2yos hitting the track have gone up against the best of the best as most people throw their freaks and stakes into maidens during week 1 and 2. The first two weeks of the year for 2yo sprinters (and then same for 2yo milers and routers later in the year) I think of as a bloodbath lol
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Randall Allen
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Randall Allen »

Some horses are destined for the claiming races. Have you been looking at your race placement carefully?

Also, Rochelle brings up a great point. Sometimes it is better to pause your 2 year olds for a few racing weeks. That lets the freaks and stakes get their maidens out of the way.
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Randall Allen wrote: 4 months ago Sometimes it is better to pause your 2 year olds for a few racing weeks. That lets the freaks and stakes get their maidens out of the way.
I definitely started doing this a few years back, at least outside of maidens I was putting in claiming races.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Lee Cara
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Lee Cara »

I'm only looking at your 3yr olds but It's clear your keeping hold of horses with no futures for to long. Colts need to be gelded after 2 races if no real stand out SF.
If your a stable who likes to get a win from all the horses you breed it's going to be really difficult to improve on stats without being ruthless.
Shoot me a Pm if you want to hear some crazy ramblings
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Nicole Marie wrote: 4 months ago
Randall Allen wrote: 4 months ago Sometimes it is better to pause your 2 year olds for a few racing weeks. That lets the freaks and stakes get their maidens out of the way.
I definitely started doing this a few years back, at least outside of maidens I was putting in claiming races.
It’s funny because this happened with routers and now all the freak wait until week 11/12, and week 10 tends to be somewhat weaker.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Inca Stables wrote: 4 months ago This game can drive a person nuts occasionally. I have started off the new year 1 for 108. One Win in 108 starts.

Inca Stables
Do you have SIMperior, so that you can see speed figures? They really do help with understanding where the horse might fit. Also, I haven't looked at your races, but a nice veteran once pointed out to me that some horses in the SIM have a pronounced running style and might need the lead or need to close into a fast pace.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Well I’ve had unusually cold stretches , once last year in the mid to later weeks I had an 0 for 26 which improved towards the end of the season , and until this year I’ve had great starts that drop off some sometimes winning 8 out of the first 10 and holding at 50% and dropping by years end into the low 30s though last year because of the unusual streak I finished in the mid20s but then this year I start 1 for 22 but my wps percentage stays at over 75% but my horses are all acting like they have Arthuritis, which is to say seconditis , there was one day I had 6 or 7 go on one race day and all of them finished 2nd or 3rd , no winners , no 4th places, so my win% was around 4.5% something I haven’t seen in at least 25 sim years .. so this week I hit 3 for 10 to get me up to 12.5% and I didn’t change anything on how I trained pre season or anything else noteworthy so sometimes it’s just a statistical anomaly and I’m not culling or changing anything else and while I realize 1 for 108 isn’t 1 for 22 it’s still concerning when nothing close to this bad of a start hasn’t happened in such a long time and I do have colts who can use gelding which I’m a bit lazy about but lots of them have the longer career comment anyway
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

125 : 7-11-8 Win-5.6% OTB-20.8% (as of the end of Wk2)

Yeah, I understand the feeling.

But I've had a crappy 3 Sim year run of bad luck...not getting any stakes or freaks and the very few I got this year....1 freak peak...3 stakes, 2 that were peaked. So next season isn't look so hot for my next barnful of 2yr olds.

However, I am also giving a number of horses the last chance to earn money....which isn't the same as winning races. I've already culled a good number, and wk 3 will probably see a few more go. Plus most of my runners are routers...and many of those are 3 year olds that need longer races than 1 1/8 miles. Still it would be nice to have some stakes and freaks that can do those shorter routes anyways. But I have some hopeful 2 year old routers...but wk 10 is a long ways away.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Inca Stables
Eclipse Champion

Post by Inca Stables »

Thanks all who responded and especially to Lee Cara for taking a look at my stable. I appreciate it.

The culling has begun and it has made me realize I need to do this a little more often and not hang on to horses so long.

Inca
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

Update after 1 for 22 win rate, since gone 13 for 34 so from 4.5% now up to 25% which is in range of usual rate, just not usually as streaky .. I think it’s just as valid to point out that when people have complaints and forget that when things change to mention it as well