New/Junior/Intermediate player auction

SIMHorseRacing.com is not responsible for any claims or sales made in this section
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

New/Junior/Intermediate player auction

Post by Eric Nalbone »

In an effort to get barn size under control, about 100 racehorses and broodmares are listed in an auction for new, junior and intermediate players.

The racehorses all should probably be the type that could clean up at trial park but aren't going to be stallions for me, or aren't broodmares that have yet hit despite their bloodstock agent comments. The broodmares/gallop rankings are listed and are primarily blue hens/stars.

I'm hopeful that earlier stage players can find some gems at very affordable cost.

This will be the first of several reduction auctions this year to just rightsize the stable, so if you are an earlier stage player in search of something specific division wise, please let me know and I'll see if I can aid in a low cost way (no, I will not lease you Schuylkill or Goldfinch or whatnot, but I've got lots of mares, lots of stallions, lots of racehorses, and not a lot of time so plenty to go around even if I'm not gonna sell the mare outright).
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Re: New/Junior/Intermediate player auction

Post by Danny Derby »

Since when have we been able to create auctions for New/Junior/Intermediate players?
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

Tell Me how and I will do a few as well as I am also looking to do some downsizing this season.

Kent
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

I think The Steward has always been able to do this? Just ask her.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I'm more than happy to do these for people! The weird thing though is once you have it set that way you can no longer see the auction (since you aren't a new/jr/int player yourself) so the only way to keep track of it is via My Auction page.

I'd prefer to do these if the auctions are decent - Eric's has six freaks. It's not meant for "pawn trash on newbies" type usage.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Xander Zone
Hall of Fame

Post by Xander Zone »

Also
Love this idea as a lot of us “vets” now consider stakes and star mares thrash etc but they are stable makers for new players
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Xander Zone wrote: 4 months ago Also
Love this idea as a lot of us “vets” now consider stakes and star mares thrash etc but they are stable makers for new players
Its not so much that they're trash (they're not - as Emily said, six freaks are in the auction, even if they haven't necessarily done what I'd expect a freak to do so far) but that I have too many to actually manage properly, and a horse that might be a nice allowance horse for me can actually *clean up* at Trial Park, or a broodmare that I have like... six copies of (since I probably bred the mare's dam and all her sisters and they're *all* still in the barn) is a little redundant.

And these are all eminently affordable. There are I believe 99 horses in my auction, the total bids so far total $60,000 and only 19 horses have bids. Everything in this auction is a blue hen, star, or if active racehorse has current race history that will validate any reasonable purchase price (by reasonable I mean like... low/mid 4-figs) and make that back and then some within a few races minimum, etc.

Its great to just be able to expose it to the whole group of players instead of relying on who sees forum posts. In 24 hours exactly one person has taken me up on the offer to help people outside of this auction, which makes me think the forum is not the best/only way to get visibility for anything designed like this.

Anything that doesn't sell in this auction I'll just list on the sales page for $1 for mass consumption.
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Can the steward set up lease auctions to be only for new players? Usually I just give lease for free but that didn’t work out well..so if the steward can create lease auctions only for the newer players that would be helpful..what’s the requirements for the steward to do this on a player’s behalf? Is there a minimum amount of horses that need to be in it to be considered? Minimum gallop comment? Assume the cost is still the same or is it extra? Just want to be sure all players understand what is available to them. Thanks for the clarifications.
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Mine is a sale auction, not a lease. I can't speak to if that can happen, we'd need those with the technical chops that understand how the functionality is built to chime in. I intentionally kept galllop or bloodstock comments high in my sale (I'll just pay the fee to send bad horses to GP, I'm otherwise tryng to just disperse a lot of horses that don't matter to my stable but could really be awesome for new players. I'm limited to 2 horses per buyer in the auction cause I'd like to spread good horses around.

As stated in my original post, if you're after some specific thing that I didn't address in the auction and are a new/junior/intermediate player, please let me know and I'll see if I can figure out mare leases or racehorses to help you out. No promises on what I will or won't lease, but the only person who has taken me up on the offer so far I think is happy?
Entry Clerk
Sprinter

Post by Entry Clerk »

Yes Gavin; The Steward can make it so that lease auctions or regular sale auctions are exclusively for new/junior/intermediate players to bid on.
Just go about creating the auction as normal, but timing is the crucial thing - synchronize with me or The Steward - before hitting the final "Create a New Auction" link so that The Steward can specify which player group the auction is for because only The Steward has access to extra permissions to enable this.
We are working to make it so that I can do this as well.
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Eric Nalbone wrote: 4 months ago Mine is a sale auction, not a lease. I can't speak to if that can happen, we'd need those with the technical chops that understand how the functionality is built to chime in.
Oh yeah, sorry if it wasn’t clear but these questions weren’t meant for you. They were meant for the admin/owners of the game.

Sometimes things pop up that players are unaware of that are options in the game. So when they do, it’s nice to get clarity on what’s available as a game function to all players. One instance is when players were buying stewardbreds directly from the steward before the auctions..I remember the steward saying players reached out and she gave them a price she thought was a bit higher than what they would go for in the auction...then that policy stopped.

Same issue here, just want clarity on who can set this up as it appears to not be a function players can do on their own…per the entry clerk it appears we can all request this which is how it should be..can’t just have functions in the game only for the top players (only for the steward is fine)..or arbitrary “those horses are better” which is all subjective cause we have seen freak horses perform way worse than stake horses before and blue hens that produce poorly and star mares that throw nothing but stakes or higher…transparency and equality is key regarding game functions
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Gavin Guile wrote: 4 months ago
Eric Nalbone wrote: 4 months ago Mine is a sale auction, not a lease. I can't speak to if that can happen, we'd need those with the technical chops that understand how the functionality is built to chime in.
Oh yeah, sorry if it wasn’t clear but these questions weren’t meant for you. They were meant for the admin/owners of the game.

Sometimes things pop up that players are unaware of that are options in the game. So when they do, it’s nice to get clarity on what’s available as a game function to all players. One instance is when players were buying stewardbreds directly from the steward before the auctions..I remember the steward saying players reached out and she gave them a price she thought was a bit higher than what they would go for in the auction...then that policy stopped.

Same issue here, just want clarity on who can set this up as it appears to not be a function players can do on their own…per the entry clerk it appears we can all request this which is how it should be..can’t just have functions in the game only for the top players (only for the steward is fine)..or arbitrary “those horses are better” which is all subjective cause we have seen freak horses perform way worse than stake horses before and blue hens that produce poorly and star mares that throw nothing but stakes or higher…transparency and equality is key regarding game functions
I'm sorry to open the can of worms and creating work, but appreciative that others are also interested in supporting the growth of new players. If we want to all help newer players get established, that is 100% something I endorse.

My motivation was simply 'I don't have any desire for money, since my stallions earn enough, so I want this to be exposed to newer players regardless of their budgets, without big barns coming in on top.' I used to run the Newbie program giveaway and just don't have the bandwidth to do it anymore, but it was always one of the most rewarding parts of the SIM for me. Seeing someone get a Berlioz or Live Strong from the program because they got their act together at Trial Park or won the specific sponsored races was always so rewarding to see, and very often helped people stay engaged. I just don't have the time to do something that in depth now, so dispersing good horses that would have been basically the genesis of that program is the next best thing I can do.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Gavin Guile wrote: 4 months ago

I’ve also held an auction in the past for only new players, there were definitely no freaks in it to my knowledge. (And I would definitely not consider myself a top player) I’m pretty sure I posted on the forum about it at the time, it’s been a bit though.

I had wanted to offer horses to newer players but didn’t want to have to individually lease each one, putting them in an open auction would have driven up the price when I would have sent them for free. It seemed worth asking since it’s something the game is capable of doing. I didn’t know if it was a thing players could do, so I just asked through the contact form and was given the OK.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt