Up for discussion-- when do you give up on a horse?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Meghan Kingsley
Sprinter

Up for discussion-- when do you give up on a horse?

Post by Meghan Kingsley »

I have the habit of either giving up on my disappointing racers too early or too late. When do you decide enough is enough and cull a horse? In visiting with other players, some say that a horse really may not start earning his/her keep until they're 4 or 5, while others will dump anything not earning in the first 3 starts. For your stable, what do you do? Do you hang onto the disappointing ones and see if the freeloaders earn eventually? Or cut your losses and dump the ones that should be doing MUCH better than they are halfway through the 3 y.o. season if they're not earning well?

Do you have a dollar amount, age, or certain number of starts your racers have to meet by a certain point to get to stay? What works well in your stable?

I think I have the habit of hanging on to my allowance progressives and late bloomers longer than I should; it seems some of them eventually improve and start earning even if it's in mid-low level claimers, while others never do. A few do pick up as 4 y.o.s, but most don't.... and they're eating horse fees for breakfast that whole time, too.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: Up for discussion-- when do you give up on a horse?

Post by Rochelle Bos »

For me personally if a horse is placing (1st, 2nd, 3rd) they can keep running, if it’s been more than 3 races without one I will consider retiring it, if it’s been more than 3 without earning any money I will likely retire them.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Once a horse is racing at bottom claiming races and can't hold its own no matter the age, it's over for me
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

It depends some on the horse for me. With the males I run them all and just keep dropping them in level if they aren't picking up checks. If they go 2-3 races in the lowest level claimers without making me money they are done. For the fillies, particularly if I like the pedigree I'm a bit more patient. I still will race them as soon as I can, but if the late bloomer/progressives aren't doing great I might bench them until they peak and then give it another go.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

3 in a row not making any sim cash means they go bye bye.
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Meghan Kingsley wrote: 3 months ago
I think I have the habit of hanging on to my allowance progressives and late bloomers longer than I should; it seems some of them eventually improve and start earning even if it's in mid-low level claimers, while others never do. A few do pick up as 4 y.o.s, but most don't.... and they're eating horse fees for breakfast that whole time, too.
I let the horses peak before giving up on most. Then it's 3 starts without any earnings, sometimes 2. Usually they're earning something, it might just be mostly 4ths and 5ths place checks.

Something you can do with allowance horses who haven't improved yet and are struggling is to lease them to newbies at TP. The horse will likely make money there and it gives you a chance to delay figuring out what to do with them yourself. Just lease them out one season at a time until they peak. Be sure to let the newbie know they can always end the lease without hard feelings if the horse also struggles at TP.

This is particularly good for your routers. Race them at 2, send them to a newbie at 3 when the 3/up races start, they come home at 4 peak and ready to go (or at least you'll know they'll never 'go'). Then you can run them in the 1 1/4 or 1 1/2m races they want.

**As always, don't dump a horse you're pretty sure is trash on a new player **.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I keep an "icebox" barn for improvers. Allowance and stakes horses get to try to win money once or twice before improving. If they are hitting the board, they stay in the active barn. If not, they go to the icebox to wait for their improvement. If they improve to allowance peak or need to be dropped into the claimers after improving, usually they go on the new player sale page for $1. I make some exceptions if the horse has a good excuse, but I am pretty brutal just to keep the barn manageable in size.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

No formula, of course if it’s a filly that’s underperforming then it’s more a likely retire to see if they have any breeding possibilities.. males not earning first geld and lower to claiming and if it can’t compete then bye bye or maybe it gets claimed.. not complicated
Meghan Kingsley
Sprinter

Post by Meghan Kingsley »

Some good things to try here. Thanks!