Do you want gallops to stay or go away? Why?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Do you want gallops to stay or go away? Why?

Post by John Smith »

So without gallops, lets play the price is right…

What is the value of this horse - undefeated multiple stakes winning 2 yold sprint filly;
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1739597

And

3 yold turf miler with high sf graded stakes placed
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1670074

For the right price, I might sell!
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

John Smith wrote: 3 months ago So without gallops, lets play the price is right…

What is the value of this horse - undefeated multiple stakes winning 2 yold sprint filly;

And

3 yold turf miler with high sf graded stakes placed
https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1670074

For the right price, I might sell!
1st horse is a stakes TS filly. SF too low for freak and too high for allowance. The workout do not tell enough as never worked with correct equipment.
2-time stakes winner, perfect record.
The sire pedigree is sus, no back class, just happened to be one of those studs that made 350k and hypoed top end. She is 2 and most sprinters win most of there stakes races at 2 and the fizzle out over next 2-3 seasons.
Knowing if peak, progressive or Late bloomer would be a plus and that also can affect the price. The price is always subject to the market and buyer.
Hard to tell what her future BSA might be. I would lean towards Blue Hen based on the fact that I feel most things stakes or above retire as blue hens, but it’s not a 100% guarantee and the pedigree causes slight concern.

If I were to buy her I would prob only offer 500-600k as I already have 10 fillies just like her in my barn. To someone else though might be more valuable.

The 2nd horse is most likely a stakes late bloomer ready to peak at freak or a very high end stakes. The pedigree on her is better. Nice sire, dam is decent along with 500k earning grand-dam. The record could be better, but really that is on the trainer placement.
Her last two races were nice busting SF 90+. Her works are decent.
I feel like she will retire to be a blue hen.

If I were to offer on this I would most likely pay 750k to 1 mill
Last edited by Mr. Lord Rich 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Smith »

Woah woah woah….Lets just say the sire isnt established so can be sus, fine but he has yet to see his 1st gallop ups… lets check back after week 8… he was a late bloomer himself raced until 6…

I see u referenced gallops in your analysis a privy new player wouldn’t have if they were to be banished.

Id maybe sit or balk on the 500k….but only want to offer to those in favor of no gallops… maybe the million is a bit low also, but yes, end of the day a lot of horse value would be thrown into limbo if labels disappeared… especially bsa or shed or even maybe heart comments/labels.
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

John Smith wrote: 3 months ago Woah woah woah….Lets just say the sire isnt established so can be sus, fine but he has yet to see his 1st gallop ups… lets check back after week 8… he was a late bloomer himself raced until 6…
I believe what he's saying is the dam is a stakes winner, but has no other stakes winning offspring and the top earner other than Gord made 56K. And then she in turn is her dam's only stakes winner. (To go to the other end of the spectrum, See You Monday's dam had seven millionaires and all her foals to race made six figures.)
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

John Smith wrote: 3 months ago I see u referenced gallops in your analysis a privy new player wouldn’t have if they were to be banished.
To be fair (and you know where I stand, my Edge interview is what sparked this thread ;)) gallops have not always existed. When I was new, they didn’t exist yet. People figured out what “level” their horse might be by looking at workouts, speed figures, and performances. New players should be studying the game and working with mentors, regardless of gallops existing or not.

That first filly you posted… She’s one that I would expect to win more listed stakes races in her career, especially ones without super deep fields. I wouldn’t dare put her into graded company though, not where she’s at now with a career best of 88. She’s undefeated because you’ve placed her well. Maybe she’ll mature and start throwing better speed figures.

That second filly looks like one of those types that could potentially be a consistent hitter in gender restricted listed stakes races as she matures, especially abroad. Turf milers don’t seem to be as competitive as, say, dirt routers as a division, and that’s makes success easier.. She’s one I’d buy with the intent to run her through her four year old season, and try non-North American Graded Stakes races with eventually.

I don’t need to know how these fillies gallop, because gallops are a crapshoot anyways and once they’re actively racing, I stop caring. That’s my assessment of each based solely on SF’s, workout times, and PP’s.
I’m not in the market, but just for the sake of it.. I personally wouldn’t pay more than $350k for filly one, and $500k for filly two. That’s subjective, and you might get more or less from others, depending on their goals and what they are looking for in a horse.

Please take this as friendly constructive banter, I mean no offense with anything I’ve said.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

John Smith wrote: 3 months ago Woah woah woah….Lets just say the sire isnt established so can be sus, fine but he has yet to see his 1st gallop ups… lets check back after week 8… he was a late bloomer himself raced until 6…

I see u referenced gallops in your analysis a privy new player wouldn’t have if they were to be banished.
So I meant to say "pedigree, not progeny hahaha big diff, might make more sense now.
Also yes I referenced gallops. I am taking a guess as to their current gallop level and the values I would attach with them.

I have no clue what their actual gallop is.
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Smith »

DOH!

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking!"
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

It’s like deal or no deal, large case taken, new offers pending…
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Lily Wilkins wrote: 3 months ago gallops are a crapshoot anyways and once they’re actively racing, I stop caring.
This is it.

Gallops/workouts only get you a sneak peek at potential before they hit the track. Once they are on the track you see what their stuff is made of and adjust accordingly. It’s easy to get caught up in “my freak doesn’t run like a freak”, toss gallop comment out the window when they hit the track and run the horse 🤷‍♀️ we get upset about the potential of the freak comment, but that’s because we spend 1/1.5/1.75 game years fantasize about how great they could be and then get disappointed when it almost never turns out that way.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Art K Stables »

So I haven’t heard anyone say gallops do harm , just people saying how important or not it is to them, so they are here and no one has put forth any kind of argument to remove them so I think overall this is a question that I have no clue why anyone is bothering to ask other than to alarm those who find it desirable of which there are many .
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Art K Stables wrote: 3 months ago So I haven’t heard anyone say gallops do harm , just people saying how important or not it is to them, so they are here and no one has put forth any kind of argument to remove them so I think overall this is a question that I have no clue why anyone is bothering to ask other than to alarm those who find it desirable of which there are many .
The main argument against is there is an immediate mass culling of horses with lower gallop comments every year and there has been an effort for awhile not to limit that, such as the fee to AJ younger horses and the addition of improvement comments. The thinking is without gallops folks may be more inclined to see what their horses can actually accomplish on the track before discarding them.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

The harm is the expectation of a freak, when it fails to run like one and when they don't get many freaks from birth out of their crop also bothers some

So that is the arguments. To help better gauge freak the Steward recently made a smaller gap to be considered a freak, which helps the freaks comment to run like one but you have less freaks around so people get upset when breeding time comes. So in others words u can't win so the alternative is to get rid of

I have 0 issue with the current gallop system and the excitement on gallop day
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Gavin Guile
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gavin Guile »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 3 months ago
Art K Stables wrote: 3 months ago So I haven’t heard anyone say gallops do harm , just people saying how important or not it is to them, so they are here and no one has put forth any kind of argument to remove them so I think overall this is a question that I have no clue why anyone is bothering to ask other than to alarm those who find it desirable of which there are many .
The main argument against is there is an immediate mass culling of horses with lower gallop comments every year and there has been an effort for awhile not to limit that, such as the fee to AJ younger horses and the addition of improvement comments. The thinking is without gallops folks may be more inclined to see what their horses can actually accomplish on the track before discarding them.
Why is there an effort to limit the mass culling though? People have limited time…why spend all that effort on the off chance you have that rare one in a million horse that goes from Claimer to freak? As of now allowance and below are not worth the limited time I have to invest in the game, and if I had to allocate time to horses that barely bring in any money or enjoyment, I would’ve quit by now.
SHOOTING STAR STABLES

Stallions
Bonecrusher (DS)
Connor (DR)
Master of Deception (DR)
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Gavin Guile wrote: 3 months ago
Why is there an effort to limit the mass culling though? People have limited time…why spend all that effort on the off chance you have that rare one in a million horse that goes from Claimer to freak? As of now allowance and below are not worth the limited time I have to invest in the game, and if I had to allocate time to horses that barely bring in any money or enjoyment, I would’ve quit by now.
Agree with this 100%. I get the fee to go to AJ, but I like knowing what I am most likely going to get the most out of and it also can help me decide what to do with the mare the following year. (Plus I do love the instant gratification of getting to see their current level).
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Smith »

Gavin Guile wrote: 3 months ago
I am asking myself why I am trying to split the equipment on these lower gallops, this season - i generally race anything a couple times at least, but the close or even same workout times is consuming, so will probably not do that with next season's crop. I, so far, have never had anything lower than alw gallop jump gallops to say Freak.

I do think we need some advice on what the horse looks like as it is a simulation as one would possibly get from "professional," eyes IRL at least. I still say hiring a team for gps ( a bit like jockeys) to increase that precision would be fair. That way one could choose how much they may want to rely/utilize gallops... Maybe during sales auctions, these gallops are listed by that teams precision, but like with hypos you could get your "team," on it to "scout," it, if you will.... or wanted.
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)