Sorting the Studbook (poll)

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Sorting the studbook: What's better for regular mare owners?

By Freak % so one can confirm they will be ~95% certain you wont get a freak (and I'd bet with your mares even lower!)
27%
By Claimer % so one can be ~85/90% certain they won't get a claimer
32%
other - because solids are worse!
41%

Total votes: 22

John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Sorting the Studbook (poll)

Post by John Smith »

Sorting the studbook (poll)
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Re: Sorting the Studbook (poll)

Post by Cleo Patra »

Other...
I make a spreadsheet and do lots of magical Excel-Fu to get my list of suitable sires. I always include Stakes and Freak %, the total for those and sometimes claimer as a check and balance. Once I've cut all the chaff out of my sire list, I duplicate the sheet for each mare I'm working on. For example, if I'm working on a James Dean lined mare, I'll delete all the JD lined stallions from the list. Once I've got that, I'll use my instincts to pick 4 or 5 sires from the list, generate a hypomate link and see which hypo looks ultra hot (aka no inbreeding, or 3x3 crosses to epic mares or just straight up all the epic mares all over the place to I can inbreed to them in 2 generations time).
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I don’t use the stud book much, usually I hunt stallions based on sireline, but if I’m stumped I’ll use the studbook and sort by freak/stakes/allowance %, any Stallion that pops up decently high in all three I’ll have a look at.

Generally I’ll try any stallion that has 40% Allowance or better foals (I prefer closer to 50% if possible) if I like the cross withe my mare.

Allowance is my lowest “target” gallop, since (in my experience) most lower gallops won’t give a BSA I’m willing to work with on a mare, unless her damline is out of this world 🤪
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Laurel Addams
Classic Contender

Post by Laurel Addams »

Sorting by stakes % is my main method, but like Cleo I have my spreadsheets (stakes+ % is also a go to and it has conditional formatting to see where a stud fits in within the division at a glance) and I also look at allowance and claimer %s at times. I also use the search a lot to see what others are doing and what has worked in the past.
Standing at stud
Bannerlord - DM/DR, 30k, A+ hypos
Funky Stank - TR, 10k, A+ hypos
Codebreaker - DR, 5k
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Smith »

new page: (notes) - correlations BSA ...Excel - Fu... limit inbreeding to hot mares...add others %s - got it, i think...

That's a lot better than I had: Find a mare, breed it, cross fingers...
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

I look at their percentage of offspring that are Allowance +
I’m totally fine having a phenomenally bred Allowance filly (hi Marakuja!) so especially if I’m going for a filly, I pay attention to Allow and up. 52% chance my foal will be that or better? I’ll take it! Oh, only a 35% chance? Not so great.
(Edited to decrease the percentages I used as examples, because very few studs in the game produce 60% allowance or better lol)
Last edited by Lily Wilkins 3 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

I also look at the percentage that are allowance or better. That combined with small claimer percentage is at least where I start.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

For my rough heuristics, I always sort to sire (top to bottom, alphabetically), then stud fee (expensive to cheap), then stakes % (good to bad). Makes it easy to sort through things like 'I want a DMB son who is good who crosses well with X' and away you go. The sort is muscle memory by now for me to get to it, so unless I have some real reason to break it I leave it be.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

I sort by stakes %, if I need an "out of the box" idea or just looking for new blood I'll sort by Allowance %
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

I think reorganizing the studbook page (swapping the offspring gallop results and top runners by earnings) is far more urgent than which percentage comes up automatically?
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I look at stakes% to get an idea, but alw+% gives me a better picture.

In TS I rarely look at the freak % as one Stew-bred freak can throw a sire to the top of the list. If I'm breeding a TR then I do pay a bit more attention.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

Aside from all the useful hints here, I often go to the search function, type the sire of said mare and look for SWs to see who nicks the most based on earnings.
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

I search by allowance % and then remove the ones that also have a high claimer percentage.
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Entry Clerk
Sprinter

Post by Entry Clerk »

It's so interesting to read about players methods and insights. I was in the Rochelle camp, the sire line to suit the mare was my focal point.
I really don't know what gallop % I would want as the default on the stud book pages?
I see what Diane says, there is a lot more info that needs to be presented regarding progeny earnings.
I have also pondered about providing a average winning distance from the winners of each sire, it was always so difficult for me to work out if a for example a sprinter needs 5f or 7.5f, where a AWD would help I do not know because stats are so hard to discern.
I think some of the real life publications also call AWD a stamina index.
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Entry Clerk wrote: 2 months ago
I have also pondered about providing a average winning distance from the winners of each sire, it was always so difficult for me to work out if a for example a sprinter needs 5f or 7.5f
Oh I would love this.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes