Newbie Hustle

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Josh Forner
Two Year Old

Newbie Hustle

Post by Josh Forner »

G'day - new player here. I remember participating in a similar concept game when I was much younger (maybe it was the same one? I can't remember!) and did a bit of a google search one day recently and now I am here.

I've slowly acquired a little stable of racing horses but many of my horses continue to run last or second last regardless of distance, surface, conditions etc.

Should I have done a bit more lead in or training before getting them into races? Most seem to have the 'fully fit' status.

Any other tips are welcome. I've started watching some of the auctions to pick up some nicer prospects :)
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Re: Newbie Hustle

Post by Diane Townsend »

Had a quick look and most of your horses are running the wrong distance/surface. Most horses only have one surface (allweather, dirt or turf) and one type of distance (sprint, mile, or route) that they prefer. Anything outside of their preference and they will run terrible.

Most have already raced and have been racing at their preferred surface/distance already so just find races at distances/surfaces that they had previously been on, they will have the same preferences as their parents.

Try to keep them in the lowest class possible. If they have yet to win a race put them in a maiden, If they have won 1 race put them in a nw2. Plus try to race at Trial Park (for new players) whenever you can since it is easier than racing against veteran players.

Also no training needed if they are racefit. Just keep racing every 14-21 days for best results.

The game is a marathon not a sprint so just keep slowly learning, asking questions and read articles in the Feature Race and you will catch up in no time.
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)
Josh Forner
Two Year Old

Post by Josh Forner »

Cheers - thanks!
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

Also click on the Help button under the home button. It has all the FAQs on the Sim, Horses, Races etc its also in the Forum under Help and FAQ
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

One other thing, you'll only know their fitness if you jog them. So if you got one that hasn't raced all year, for example, but they say 'fully fit' take them for a jog and you may find that they actually aren't fully fit. (I haven't looked at your barn so not sure if this applies.)
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

Okay, just looked at your barn:

Blue Band Baby is a dirt router, not a turf sprinter. Turf sprint is probably the worst division for a dirt router (wrong surface AND not even close to the right distance). Hyperbole is also a dirt router that has been running in turf sprint and dirt sprint - the only way you'd make a penny in those races with that horse is if there were 5 or less horses running because then everyone gets part of the pot. Pathfinder Lass probably got hurt because she raced W2, W4, workout W5, race W6 (my guess is she is either very unsound or somewhat unsound). When you race Sydney Opera House, race in turf route only.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Josh Forner
Two Year Old

Post by Josh Forner »

How do you figure the race preferences out?
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

Diane Townsend wrote: 2 months ago Most have already raced and have been racing at their preferred surface/distance already so just find races at distances/surfaces that they had previously been on, they will have the same preferences as their parents.
they will have the same preferences as their parents.
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Josh Forner wrote: 2 months ago How do you figure the race preferences out?
Click on their parents. If mom and dad are dirt routers than children will be dirt routers (anything 5 furlongs and over).
These are older articles but still have a lot of good information:
https://www.simhorseracing.com//feature ... pleID=5100

On your stable page at the top, if you click on Manage there will be a drop down , all the way over to the right you will see a Community heading and under that The Feature Race. There are a lot of articles there especially for new players that might help you out.

Good luck and don't be afraid to keep asking questions.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Josh Forner
Two Year Old

Post by Josh Forner »

Awesome, that helps a lot.
Anthem Theodosia
Two Year Old

Post by Anthem Theodosia »

You can also find people who are kind enough to mentor you! The community if very giving
ANTHEM ACRES
Up N’ Coming breeding barn that specializes in the production of promising horses in all track conds.
Y66 Crop
UP N COMING HORSES
Josh Forner
Two Year Old

Post by Josh Forner »

Appreciate the help. First win is in the books! https://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=2235682
Evelyne Cergerac
Two Year Old

Post by Evelyne Cergerac »

Congrats!