First Foal: Filly or Colt?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

First Foal: Filly or Colt?

Post by Lori Hamill »

You just retired your lovely, talented stakes winning blue hen mare. Do you feel the first foal should always be a filly? Or does it depend on the sire you decide on? Or do you only go with a sire of fillies?

I feel like I'm always tossing a coin. I might think the stallion I pick is better siring colts but it's her first foal so I feel like I should always lean towards a filly. I don't know why I feel this way but I thought I would see if anyone else feels this way or if others feel differently?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Re: First Foal: Filly or Colt?

Post by Diane Townsend »

Depends if she is insured or not. If a mare is not insured I go for a filly just in case I lose the mare to a random injury early on
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)
Lucas Davenport
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lucas Davenport »

If she is a stakes winning BH, she ought to be insured, IMO. So that takes that argument for a filly out of the equation. Also, IMO, colt for sure; esp if an A+ hypo. That is how I play the game, and have selected colt so many times over the years I can't remember. Best to all, Lucas.
The Hub Group of Farms: where saving your boarding and shipping dollars is always a priority, especially when you don't know where the next race will take your horse.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I almost always go random 😅 unless I’m doing full sibling to a stakes/freak then I go opposite gender, or lease mares I always breed fillies
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

I feel like I'd go with colt if I was choosing the gender (Halley's first foal is a filly but I let that be random).
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Thank you all for your replies.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cheri Stewart
Two Year Old

Post by Cheri Stewart »

I'm sort of new to breeding buuuuuut.... if you go to the search page and type the name of your broodmare's sire into the damsire spot (unless it's too young of a stud obviously) then sort the results by earnings, I see what the trend is there. Do they, as a dam sire, produce better fillies, colts, or is it pretty even? Then I do the same with the stud I'm using. Using the top 10-ish, its pretty easy to see who's going to have a better potential stats.... I also do this to decide who to breed my mares to in the first place. It's fun. If I could, I'd just sit and breed horses all day! 😂