Seeking Help with Breeding Strategies - Game Experience Woes

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Oncu Kaan
Listed Stakes Winner

Seeking Help with Breeding Strategies - Game Experience Woes

Post by Oncu Kaan »

Hello friends, I've been playing this game since 2014 and I really love it, but I consistently face disappointments with my new foals every new season. I'd like to discuss a specific issue I'm experiencing and ask for your help.

Let's start with Christopher Robin for example. While the stallion's allowance and above statistic is nearly 60%, only one of my 10 foals has an allowance, which is 10%.

Similarly, take At Time's End for instance, with an average of 50% allowance and above, but out of my 9 foals, only 2 have allowances, which is 22.2%.

Then there's The Evil Empire, with a 49% allowance and above, yet none of my 5 foals have allowances, which is 0%.

Even when I select broodmares with three generations of stakes producers, blue hens, and star mares, I still face such disappointing results. It's not just a small difference like 20%, but rather significant gaps. Where am I going wrong? I'd greatly appreciate your assistance.
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Seeking Help with Breeding Strategies - Game Experience Woes

Post by John Smith »

NO advice on improving those result as mine can be dismal as well...but can advise to lower your costs by using lower priced stallions for similar results.

I came in at about 18k per foal this season...will try to lower next season as well per foal
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

I am hardly a top player, not by a long shot, but I've found success with cheaper stallions as much as (actually, for me, more than) the absolute top dogs.

Owl Be Up Front has given me stakes LB every single year (20K). The best horse of my sim career was from a 20K stud (Blast Onepiece) as well. The first freak I've ever bred was a 30K stud (Best Revenge).

You may have just used the pricier studs as your example, but if you're just throwing your mares at the big boys, I might experiment a little bit more. One of the best sires in one division does NOT like my mares for whatever reason (all different lines going to him, absolutely no results).

I had no freaks this year, but here were the studs that gave me stakes (as you can see they vary GREATLY in price, I think there's a 140K difference)
American Pharoah (1 late bloomer)
Solarpunk (1 progressive)
Arizona (2 late bloomers)
Sir Bumpsalot (1 late bloomer)
Galaxy's Edge (1 progressive)
Flightline (1 late bloomer)
Drift King (1 progressive)
Tunnel of No Light (1 late bloomer)
Steamboat Willie (1 progressive)
Auguste Rodin (1 peak)
Owl Be Up Front (1 progressive and 1 late bloomer)
Fight Town (1 progressive)
Notacatbutalawyer (1 progressive)
Marowak (1 late bloomer)
Courageous Ben (2 progressive)
Champion (1 late bloomer)
Astro (1 progressive)
Country Bear (1 progressive)
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Nicks, hypos, and running styles seem to matter. I have been able to get much higher allowance and above percentages by using these, but nothing is a silver bullet.
Oncu Kaan
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Oncu Kaan »

I think I understand the situation now. Thank you everyone for your responses.

Christopher Robin had 114 bred last season, and not everyone with a budget of 150K could send their mares to him.
Now, here's the thing: all the ones who did send mares are quality horse owners like Eric Nalbone and Kent Saunders.

This stallion can't give freak stakes to everyone. For example, among those 114 mares, he should give stakes to a certain percentage, and when doing so, he should select the best among those 114 mares.

My mares are fine, but theirs are they're legendary.

That's why the logic of the game dictates that if Christopher Robin is to give freak stakes among those 114 mares, priority goes to them. Naturally, I get lost among the big names.

That's actually a testament to how vibrant and beautiful the game is. I love this game.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

I had a quick look at your Christopher Robin foals. I think you’ve been screwed by the nick on those ones. Mr Wonderful and Dave Matthews Band don’t have particularly high percentages of winners to runners. Which to me says that the good horses he does have with those damsires are outstanding mares or random slides.

You also have to remember that those mares with stakes winning pedigrees that Do Not produce allowance/stakes/freaks consistently are ones that you’re praying to get one good one from so you can breed up again in the next generation. State of the Art is a good example of a pest of a mare who doesn’t produce up to her pedigree but when she throws a good one it wins the Arc.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Cleo Patra wrote: 4 weeks ago Mr Wonderful and Dave Matthews Band don’t have particularly high percentages of winners to runners. Which to me says that the good horses he does have with those damsires are outstanding mares or random slides.
Whereas your point may still hold. I would like to mention that the Christopher Robin - Dave Matthews Band's starters and winners percentages are high. They got 77% for 35 starters. Suppose you exclude all broodmare sires for Christopher Robin with less than ten foals (to adjust for randomness). In that case, Christopher Robin - Dave Matthews Band has the highest winner-to-starter ratio with a large amount. Parts Unknown is getting close with nine foals and comparable numbers.

Checking the five sires with the current highest earning horses with Dave Matthews Band as a broodmare sire (War Like Me, Valley of Fire, Kingdom Come, Maximus, Delirium) their percentages were all lower than 77%. Hence for overall and broad quality (ability to win races), Christopher Robin - Dave Matthews Band theoretically looks like a good fit.
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

Nicole Marie wrote: 4 weeks ago I am hardly a top player, not by a long shot, but I've found success with cheaper stallions as much as (actually, for me, more than) the absolute top dogs.

Owl Be Up Front has given me stakes LB every single year (20K). The best horse of my sim career was from a 20K stud (Blast Onepiece) as well. The first freak I've ever bred was a 30K stud (Best Revenge).

You may have just used the pricier studs as your example, but if you're just throwing your mares at the big boys, I might experiment a little bit more. One of the best sires in one division does NOT like my mares for whatever reason (all different lines going to him, absolutely no results).

I had no freaks this year, but here were the studs that gave me stakes (as you can see they vary GREATLY in price, I think there's a 140K difference)
American Pharoah (1 late bloomer)
Solarpunk (1 progressive)
Arizona (2 late bloomers)
Sir Bumpsalot (1 late bloomer)
Galaxy's Edge (1 progressive)
Flightline (1 late bloomer)
Drift King (1 progressive)
Tunnel of No Light (1 late bloomer)
Steamboat Willie (1 progressive)
Auguste Rodin (1 peak)
Owl Be Up Front (1 progressive and 1 late bloomer)
Fight Town (1 progressive)
Notacatbutalawyer (1 progressive)
Marowak (1 late bloomer)
Courageous Ben (2 progressive)
Champion (1 late bloomer)
Astro (1 progressive)
Country Bear (1 progressive)

Yea to build off this similarly. I think I am an OK breeder all things considered and I've only had a yearling gallop freak once...a couple days ago. I typically breed 50ish mares a year for what thats worth.

Of all the horses I have had that have bloomed to freak (probably close to a handful at this point) they've been cheap studs and luck. My freak yearling is by Hum (25k), first freak was by Sheru for probably less than 5k? Lei just bloomed (Aloha). Only real expensive top producer throw me anything was DMB.

I am with you though, I've had crappy luck with most my bred horses from DMB, Mr. Wonderful, Acid Test, Christopher Robin, etc. I think part of those sires high freak % is they see the absolute best mares which helps throw nice babies. Then add on top of that the random luck and the numbers are nice.

In general I have the most success looking for other people's successful crosses. Nothing is better than when other people do the work for you. For example I have a 2yo Stakes LB by Napoleon out of a Private Affair mare. I have my fingers crossed that he blooms but I already knew that cross should work if the mare is worth her salt. First thing I do with any mare is type the damsire into the search and sort by highest earner. If there is a trend with a certain stud then off they go to him. If not, takes a little picking through the pedigree to see if anything catches.
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

J.P Dogood wrote: 3 weeks ago First thing I do with any mare is type the damsire into the search and sort by highest earner. If there is a trend with a certain stud then off they go to him. If not, takes a little picking through the pedigree to see if anything catches.
I have multiple stakes horses from Arizona out of You Are Not Alone mares, which I bred after seeing the success of this guy.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
J.P Dogood
Derby Contender

Post by J.P Dogood »

Nicole Marie wrote: 3 weeks ago
J.P Dogood wrote: 3 weeks ago First thing I do with any mare is type the damsire into the search and sort by highest earner. If there is a trend with a certain stud then off they go to him. If not, takes a little picking through the pedigree to see if anything catches.
I have multiple stakes horses from Arizona out of You Are Not Alone mares, which I bred after seeing the success of this guy.
Same! Stakes LB https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1723843