I think I done with Subway.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
T.D. Palm
Grade 3 Winner

Re: I think I done with Subway.

Post by T.D. Palm »

The trucking companies are paying almost twice as much for gas & diesel. They pass that cost along to the farmers & manufacturers. Who pass it on to the restaurants & grocery stores; who pass that along to......I think you know who.
The strategic reserve of petroleum in America is 1/3 of the volume of 4 years ago. Since the government stopped new leases for oil exploration we now get 85% of crude oil from foreign countries It's up to $73 a barrel & CLIMBING
It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it.
John Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Smith »

I remember this happening to taco bell way back when I was in school...used to get a whole box of tacos at about 0.25 cents per taco...then shaquille o'neal became the spokesperson and that was it... $2 per taco and up!

Placating shareholders versus customers always leads to this end.
Show Good Times Farm
Quetzalcoatl (TM) 20k
Gord's Secret (TS) 42k
Five Star Hotel (TR) 20k
King of Fools (DS) 20k
Chato (DM) 15k
La Joya (TR) 10k
Dancinginmyshadow (TS) 5k
Kefren (TS) 5k
Arabian Comet (TS)
Endless River (TR)
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

T.D. Palm wrote: 3 weeks ago The trucking companies are paying almost twice as much for gas & diesel. They pass that cost along to the farmers & manufacturers. Who pass it on to the restaurants & grocery stores; who pass that along to......I think you know who.
The strategic reserve of petroleum in America is 1/3 of the volume of 4 years ago. Since the government stopped new leases for oil exploration we now get 85% of crude oil from foreign countries It's up to $73 a barrel & CLIMBING
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/oil ... xports.php

The recent increase in domestic oil production, especially since 2010, has had a significant impact on U.S. petroleum imports and exports. From 2005 to 2015, the United States’ reliance on petroleum imports fell from 60% to 25% of total consumption,6 while exports increased by over 300%.3 Since 2015, imports have remained fairly steady at approximately 10 million barrels per day, but exports have continued to increase, from 4.7 million barrels per day in 2015 to 7.6 million barrels per day in early-mid-2018. The Energy Information Administration projects that U.S. import reliance for oil will continue to fall over the coming decade.https://www.americangeosciences.org/cri ... and-import

Edit to add: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ed-nations US oil and gas production set to break record in 2023 despite UN climate goals
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Stormy Peak wrote: 3 weeks ago
That was a California law. I live in Idaho, and yeah, I know the rest of the states are subsidizing the Subways in California now...as there is no other reason for this sudden and drastic increase in prices.
Subways are franchises. So individuals own each of the stores and pay a percentage of their profits to Subway, rather than the subway corporation earning them all. So the owners of Subways in Idaho are different than those in California and are not charging more to subsidize salaries from workers in other states.
Meghan Kingsley wrote: 3 weeks ago
Don't blame workers who are finally getting closer to a decent wage in some states; blame companies who are pocketing record profits while their workers subsist on sub-standard wages. It's price-gouging, plain and simple.
This! There have been investigations into the cause behind our current inflation and while historically things like wages are a big driver of inflation for this most recent round it has primarily been driven by corporate profits: https://www.epi.org/blog/corporate-prof ... s-respond/

Another article: https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... te-profits

Also if you think minimum wage pay increases have been crazy wait until you find out about what's happened to CEO pay over the last few decades.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I live in CA about 2-3 miles from Santa Anita. It has gotten pretty bad at restaurants. A friend and I went for lunch at a casual sit-down diner, think one step up from Dennys. She got a cobb salad and tea and I got a tuna melt on wheat with diet soda. The bill was $60 and I about flipped out.

On the other side of the coin, we still have a huge selection of grocery stores. Yesterday I got two bourbon bbq pork loins for $2.85 each and grabbed a sweet onion, fresh green beans, a head of cauliflower, and 4 granny smith apples. Roasted the pork loins with the apples and onions, made cauliflower mash and green beans for sides, and got 8 meals out of it for about $7 total in ingredients. Freezer stocked with this and the beef roast I got for $4 a couple weeks ago, and the 93% lean burgers I got for $.90 each. It is just really hard to justify restaurant prices in comparison.