Time Between Races

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Time Between Races

Post by Lily Wilkins »

With first class shipping and companion animals, what’s everyone’s opinion on rest between races on upper level horses? Is a three-week gap at some point in the season (or leading up to a major G1) really necessary on a Sound horse anymore if both of the aforementioned resources are being utilized?
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | $50,000
Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Re: Time Between Races

Post by Nicole Marie »

Lily Wilkins wrote: 3 weeks ago With first class shipping and companion animals, what’s everyone’s opinion on rest between races on upper level horses? Is a three-week gap at some point in the season (or leading up to a major G1) really necessary on a Sound horse anymore if both of the aforementioned resources are being utilized?
Last year, "very sound" Halley raced on W9D1 (won), and by W10D1 she was vetting 'peak/ready to race.' I wasn't planning on running her until W11D5, so I gave her a workout on W10D2. She ran the fastest 3F of her life, and then won the W11D5 race in record time. And she wasn't the only "very sound" graded stakes winning mare I've had recently who would vet peak just 7-8 days after their last start. I sometimes will try to do a 2.5 week rest (like, a D1 race to a D5 race two weeks later) if there's a fitting race available but I really don't think we need a 3 week break if the horse is rested. It's cost me a bit in vet fees to double check on this stuff but I feel I can be pretty bold with the sound or very sound horses.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

For me anyway, 2.5 weeks usually works well.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I don’t buy companion animals anymore. When first class came out I struggled with Beau, where sometimes 2 weeks wasn’t enough, but 3 was too long between.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

I see. Thank you!
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I use the vet a LOT and find a good bit of variety in my barn. I have horses that kind of fall apart with 2 weeks rest and others that are ok with 4. I pretty much pay Doc's mortgage because it helps to have the info.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Kelly Haggerty wrote: 3 weeks ago I use the vet a LOT and find a good bit of variety in my barn. I have horses that kind of fall apart with 2 weeks rest and others that are ok with 4. I pretty much pay Doc's mortgage because it helps to have the info.
Utilizing the vet definitely helps... Even if he is a sassy *** who doesn't really deserve our money :lol:
"hAve aN OkAy dAy"
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Quinny | DR/DM | $10,000
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

My 3 SC winners all raced on a 2 week schedule. Some that I thought that had chances at winning and got a 3 week rest bombed. So take that as you will but that has happened to me the last 2 seasons.
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Abby Brooks
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Abby Brooks »

Rochelle Bos wrote: 3 weeks ago I don’t buy companion animals anymore. When first class came out I struggled with Beau, where sometimes 2 weeks wasn’t enough, but 3 was too long between.
Did you try jogging/galloping him on W3D1 when he would race on W3D5? Just curious to see if you had given some works inbetween. I think its something we as simsters..should be doing but dont, especially with all this extra rest * going on
Testing The Waters|Multi G1 AWM/AWR winner|40k
Dont make pee jokes, or you'll be barked at in the super secret sim discord where grown adults whine about one another
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I walk mine a good bit, too. And will ship with a pony sometimes for bigger races to have the option of ponying. I think all the various approaches are interesting.
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Rochelle Bos wrote: 3 weeks ago I don’t buy companion animals anymore. When first class came out I struggled with Beau, where sometimes 2 weeks wasn’t enough, but 3 was too long between.
He was very sound?
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Anthony Zappulla wrote: 3 weeks ago
He was very sound?
Just regular sound
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Diane Townsend
Classic Contender

Post by Diane Townsend »

I always thought 2-2-3 weeks was regular schedule but with the gallop comment "7-9 races per year" that has made me question what I consider regular schedule.
Nigerian Prince (TS)
Race With Lions (TM)
The Womble (TR)
Seismic (TR)
Legendary Dragonet (Chase)
Red Eyed Me (Appy Mid)
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'm going to answer your question with: it depends. How hard are the races you are entering the horse in? If your races are Pegasus/Saudi Cup/World Cup, for example, at some point your horse is going to need longer than two weeks between races, because the horse has been asked for maximum effort multiple times. If the horse has an easier spot/effort along the way, it is easier to keep to an every two week schedule
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 3 weeks ago I'm going to answer your question with: it depends. How hard are the races you are entering the horse in? If your races are Pegasus/Saudi Cup/World Cup, for example, at some point your horse is going to need longer than two weeks between races, because the horse has been asked for maximum effort multiple times. If the horse has an easier spot/effort along the way, it is easier to keep to an every two week schedule
Wow, listen up people!!

Interesting!!
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll: