$16 Million Colt (and his dam)

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

So while I was on vacation I added 2,000 horses, right?

One of the horses I added was Magical Masquarade, and I also added her colt, by Forestry.

Well he sold for $16 million today.

In the SIM he is named Masked Bandit.

Crazy.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

I will start the bidding at 1 game point.
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Daryl, Em and I want you to know that that is the best sig we've ever seen.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

So, to be a cynic (but hey, someone's gotta do it, it makes all the optimists look that much cooler), the $16,000,000 question: how badly does this colt flop on the racetrack? The record-setters just don't have a great record; FuPeg is the only $4,000,000+ yearling to really hit it big that I can remember. Van Nistelrooy at least came close, we'll see how he does as a stallion, but he's hurt by being buried behind so many nice Storm Cat-line horses on that stallion roster already. Alas, I guess there's a first time for everything, maybe this colt will be it!

Its mind-boggling how much has to go right for this horse to make anywhere near a profit. Maybe he makes $4,000,000 in a really, really successful racing career, then retires to stand for $50,000 in his first year, gets bred to 150 mares since Ashford likes big books, which means he'll have brought in $11,500,000 between racing and his first year of breeding, and a second year at that fee with that book would bring him to $19,000,000. But what if he doesn't come through? $200,000 or less on the racetrack, $10,000 fee coming in as a stallion, bred to 200 mares between the two hemispheres, thats $2,000,000 and he's 8 years away from being profitable, even though that would be a successful result for many stallions.

Basically, this horse has to be the next Fusaichi Pegasus for this gamble to pay off, and unlike Fusaichi Pegasus, the $9.7 million Storm Cat, the $13.1 million yearling from a few years ago, or the high-powered Storm Cat babies of the past, this one doesn't have the slam-dunk stallion prospect pedigree that others have had. They bought a horse from a 2yo in training sale, which are known for producing RACEHORSES regardless of pedigree hoping he's the next Secretariat and resigned to that being not far from the truth or losing money. Man, someone's got money to burn.
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

The record-setters just don't have a great record
It's really ironic that this happened today... in my quest to read every BloodHorse in my school library, I was looking at the '75 Keeneland sale today. The top colt that year was a then-world record ($715,000... ha!)... but the editorial the following week detailed how someone would be doing if they had purchased the last 10 world-record yearlings. At that time, they'd have been ahead with a couple (including Wajima) still in training. Will have to pull out that issue tomorrow and copy the list, because it was really pretty fascinating.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

The $16 mil colt has been named The Green Monkey. He was named after a golf course in Barbados where his owners live.

Silly people
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

Emily M is that for naming him The Green Monkey or for playing golf?

I'm not a fan of the name and the horse will have to be a decent racehorse AND be fertile to make some of the money back.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

hehe, for both really

I think it is an absolutely terrible name, and I have never understood the lure of golfing... :P
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Awww come on guys. I think it's pretty funny. Plus he was born in the year of the monkey. Monkeys are funny.

[Is "monkeys" supposed to be spelled with an "ie" somewhere? I tried it and it didn't look right. Monkey is a weird word.]

But that colt is frickin' cute. I love that blaze. If he ends up bringing in the rear in his races, he can be my backyard pony. Haha.