Question On A Colt

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Okay, here's the deal. This colt showed some promise in his debut but hasn't been able to hit the board since. Could the debut be a fluke? Distance? Equipment? I'm confused!

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=36122' target='_blank'>Quietly Burning</a>

Any and all advice will be much appreciated :)
First Faith Thoroughbreds

Home of stallions War Like Me, Can't Take the Sky, Browncoat, Forte, Prodigal Son, and more!
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

Try a mile on turf with a figure eight, tongue tie, lasix and hind bandages
Bill Oelrich
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Bill Oelrich »

I would let him rest. 5 races as a two year old is kinda alot.
Zinfandel's Story turf router stud fee: $20k
Beyond the Stars dirt miler to router stud fee: $25k
China Grove paint 350 yrds to 400 yrds - stud fee: $10k
Red Pine Appaloosa 870 yrds - stud fee: $10k
Wii turf sprinter stud fee: $10k
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

I'm hijacking the thread because I have a few confusing horses of my own. :D

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=39064' target='_blank'>Awesimtastic</a>: Debuted in third place in the "Canadian Flower Stakes" at TP, but has done poorly since then. I thought she was a sprinter, so tried her at 7 and 5 furlongs. But she hasn't done well at all in those starts. What next?

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=36855' target='_blank'>Rain of Magic</a>: He finished third in the "Canadian Storm Stakes" after a fifth place in his debut (at 4 1/2 furlongs). I assumed he would be a router from his pedigree. So far he's only gone a mile. Does he need more distance, or should I take him back to sprints?

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for these two I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
Holly Jenkins
Two Year Old

Post by Holly Jenkins »

Riley: I agree with Anna’s advice, and, to an extent, Bill’s. Typically 2 yo’s should be raced four times in their first year, but I can see where you’re going with the training schedule. Let him have 4 weeks on a nice farm (Madrona Ridge will cost you nothing!) and then set him up for a nice easy maiden race somewhere obscure – Typically everyone races their best 2yo’s at Futurity so the fields are VERY competitive. Try him at Hong Kong, or maybe Switzerland. :)

Mad: With Awesimtastic, to be fair that was a really short stakes field. It’s good that she did well, but maybe it was a fluke? Either way, I would take off the blinkers and try her with a tt as far as equipment goes. Try her a little longer; from 7 furlongs up to a mile and see how she does, because having Tremendous in her pedigree it might just be worth a crack. :)

With Rain Of Magic, try him with an f8 and em as well as the l, hb and f8. I would really suggest taking him back to dirt sprints as he did better there. Good luck!
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Madelene Gilbert wrote: <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=39064' target='_blank'>Awesimtastic</a>: Debuted in third place in the "Canadian Flower Stakes" at TP, but has done poorly since then. I thought she was a sprinter, so tried her at 7 and 5 furlongs. But she hasn't done well at all in those starts. What next?

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=36855' target='_blank'>Rain of Magic</a>: He finished third in the "Canadian Storm Stakes" after a fifth place in his debut (at 4 1/2 furlongs). I assumed he would be a router from his pedigree. So far he's only gone a mile. Does he need more distance, or should I take him back to sprints?

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for these two I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
It is counterintuitive that moving from a stakes to a maiden race could be a step up in class, but it absolutely was. Don't underestimate how soft Trial Park races can be, or how unbelievably difficult open maiden races can be. Drop Awesimtastic back to Trial Park/Junior High, and it might be worth trying a tongue tie on her.

Rain Of Magic probably is going to be happiest between 8 and 9 furlongs, but again, its no accident that he looks decent at Trial Park and pretty crappy elsewhere. Step into open company and you're facing legitimate talents from developed stables - its tough going sometimes even with horses who have pedigrees of gold, which Rain Of Magic... doesn't have. Unfortunately, it's very possible that he's just not very good: on the list of "biggest underachievers as stallions," the trio of Raindrops On Roses, Icon, and Remarkable would all rank pretty darn high. That said, drop him in class back to Trial Park/Junior High, look for some cheap maiden claimers, and try this one with a tongue tie as well.

So I suppose the long and the short of it is that easier competition = more success. Hope that helps!
Kim Plausible
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kim Plausible »

So long as we are hijacking threads... (Sorry to those above me!)

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=28937' target='_blank'>Conspiracy Theory</a>

Whyyyy. Ugh. Move her back to 9f and try no whip instead of ear muffs? Move her back to dirt? Try all weather? Sell her? Breed her? Chase her? I'm so frustrated -- I really thought I could improve her, or at least figure out who to breed her to. But no such luck!
Send me requests for Feature Race articles!
"Thinking for me rarely ends in fewer than 300 words."
Sean Furney
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Sean Furney »

Alexis - Conspiracy Theory

I would say you have the distance and equipment correct it just isn't a very good horse. I would drop it in a fairly cheap maiden claimer on the dirt and see if you can't get a win out of her. As far as breeding I wouldn't breed her until you can figure out what kind of horse she is. If you don't know where she wants to run you can't really figure out who to breed her to.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."
- Ronald Reagan
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

On Conspiracy Theory - 8 1/2-9f dirt, low level claimer.

Please don't breed her. If you'd like - I'll buy her or trade a broodmare for her and send her to Greener Pastures.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Kim Plausible
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kim Plausible »

LoL. Thank you for the advice. :)
Send me requests for Feature Race articles!
"Thinking for me rarely ends in fewer than 300 words."