Keep Barbaro In Your Thoughts

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

He's suffering the first real setback of his recovery, and any time the doctor terms anything "serious", you have to worry. :(
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Oh man, poor guy. :(

For those of you who don't know what we're talking about, see the story at: <a href='http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews ... 2&subsec=1' target='_blank'>http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews ... ubsec=1</a>

Poor Barbaro
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Sounds like infection.. always a hairy topic in any kind of surgery. Good news is that they said it only could have been potentially serious.. they jumped on it before it became truely serious. Good to see some vets have the brains to act quickly.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Yikes. There was an article on the front page of msnbc.com about him. You know that's bad. He's developed severe laminitis on his left hind leg. They've removed 20% of the hoof wall. It's crazy how bad things can turn so quickly.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I am pretty upset today, as is everyone else here. It isn't good and for the first time I am being awful pessimistic.

I want him to live.... but at some point, what is enough??
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

20% is the amount that's still attached. His got the most severe case of laminitis. At least it's only in 1 foot. That's better then in all uneffected feet.
AlyseSchuver
Miler

Post by AlyseSchuver »

They removed 80%, ESPN got it it mixed up. It's not looking good. They're giving him 24 hours to respond to treatment, and then they will make a decision.
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

I don't know what to say other than I am thinking good thoughts for him... :(
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

I don't know how to think...feel...react... I'm terrified for him, for his people, for his fans... He could have been one of the greatest stories ever told in horse racing, a legend, but only if he survives. I start thinking about what could happen, and I feel physically ill. I try to think about what I want to happen, but getting my hopes up in the past has only led to more pain in my heart.

I can still see him in my mind's eye winning the Laurel Futurity, ears up and eyes set on the empty track ahead of him, a track that he OWNED, and he knew it. You could see it in his eyes. Even at two he was the most impressive, handsome, and professional two-year-old I've ever seen.

And then I see the horrific scene that unfolded directly in front of me as I pulled my camera down from my face. The magnificent Barbaro, still beautiful, still regal, but hopping on three legs, the fourth being kicked backwards as if he was trying to shake off a snake that was latched onto his leg. I froze. 105720752 scenarios running through my head and NOT ONE of them said "injured." I refused to believe it. It wasn't until long after the race was over, when Cindy Dulay grabbed me and started sobbing, that it hit me like a freight train.

What has astounded me is the horse himself. Not the vets, not the owners or the trainer or the jockey even, not the fans or the outpouring of emotion, but the HORSE. Never before have we seen such a high-strung, professional equine athlete go straight from the business of running to KNOWING he had to remain calm and still, to let the people around them do their jobs to save his life and not make a fuss. No biting, no kicking, no flailing, not even shifting his body away from those who poked and prodded and probably caused a lot of pain. No, he just takes a deep breath and swallows his pain without reacting. He eats, he sleeps, he's a perfectly normal horse who doesn't seem to know the meaning of "cabin fever." How unusual is this? Every horse I've ever been around have been so eager to be out and about that they often pace their stalls or charge the door. But not Barbaro. No, not Barbaro. He knows he can't leave the stall, he knows he has to cooperate like an angel, he knows that those who cause pain are only trying to save his life, he knows that if he doesn't do these things... he could lose his life.

Barbaro is a horse who is truly happy to just be alive, and for him to know this is phenomenal.
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

wow.. for a TB to stay that calm after that kinda injury is flat out a miracle..
Angela Dee Cochran
Eclipse Champion

Post by Angela Dee Cochran »

did everyone see the july28th report on Barbaro on the Thoroughbred Times?

<a href='http://thoroughbredtimes.com/search/sea ... &Section=1' target='_blank'>http://thoroughbredtimes.com/search/sea ... ction=1</a>

I think hes gunna make it through. Hes got a big heart and already proved to be a winner and a fighter!
Perfect Night
Standing in France for $35k
South American Champion Two Year Old Male
North American Champion Turf Sprinter
Year 26 Steward Cup Turf Sprint Winner
Year 25 Los Campeones Juniors Sprint Winner
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

The owners were on TV today saying he got to go outside and eat some grass. Sounds like he is doing better and that's a good thing! :)
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

It was so cool to hear the vets talk about him. They weren't about to give up on him because he didn't want them to. It's so nifty when the vets listen to their patients!
Angela Dee Cochran
Eclipse Champion

Post by Angela Dee Cochran »

Look here, an update on him being able to go out for walks daily now! YAYY!

<a href='http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/st ... O1&ATT=HMA' target='_blank'>http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/st ... ATT=HMA</a>
Perfect Night
Standing in France for $35k
South American Champion Two Year Old Male
North American Champion Turf Sprinter
Year 26 Steward Cup Turf Sprint Winner
Year 25 Los Campeones Juniors Sprint Winner
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

The teaser from deadspin.com (my favorite source of sports news) on Barbaro taking walks was

"Holy crap, Barbaro went outside!"

They aren't as big on Horse Racing as the rest of us...but I forgive them :)

-Daryl