It's That Time Of Year Again...

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Well, it's that time of year where I've just retired some of my mares. Most of 'em I picked up early on and decided I might as well run 'em a bit before I popped some babies out. I probably bought them with a stud of mine in mind, but I wanted to get some opinions from the experts out there.

Thanks in advance.

No Matter What. Symbol x Inconsolable (Sunday Silence). Definitely my favorite horse this year. She just finished third in the filly and mare sprint, and had a fairly flawless season for me, winning 4 of 6, and only losing to some of the fastest of the fast like Shetalkstoangels. Odds are, I'm going to send her to my own Em's Always Busy, but I wanted some input before I did it.

Beyond Venus. War Chant x Gone to Venus (Gone West). I bought her because I adore Saudi Poetry and she's a half sibling to her. She put together a consistent season for me, always bringing home a check, though she never broke her maiden. I need a good turf stud for her.

Danzing Cat. Storm Cat x Lady Danzig (Danzig). I bought her to breed her, and got a few checks out of her this year. I severely mismanaged her, putting her in a stake right off a maiden win, so that poor finish was my fault. She was a talented filly and hopefully can produce more talent.

Dito's Sky. Conduit x Angelic (Silver Valor). Bought her cuz I liked her breeding. I didn't have much time to run her, though, so she never broke her maiden.

Do As I Please. Stalking Horse x Always Remember (Priceless Forever). This mare was a real headscratcher/disappointment. Any ideas?

Madame of Okmulgee. Artist of Power x Madame Stark (Stark). This is my real-life mare, which explains her obscure and useless breeding. I'll probably send her to Onwardsilvercharm or Chief Seattle or Mayakovsky, just because what else is there to do? She's my baby girl, though, so I hope she can throw something.

Myheartcriestonite. Fighting With Wit x Encore (Silver Valor). I loved racing Encore, so this mare was a big disappointment for me. Maybe she'll be more useful in the shed?

Northern Secret. Silver Charm x Cartegna (Secretariat). She finished off her career with a maiden win, and was very consistent before that, never finishing worse than 4th. I like her breeding and want to find a cross that's gonna make it even better.

Ok, that's it. I know it's a lot, but I would really appreciate any thoughts. Even if you only give me an opinion on a selected few, I'd still appreciate it.

Thanks again, guys!
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

No takers?

:(
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

It looks like Declan's Moon crossed well with Charm. Another one to think about is someone down from Seeking The Gold, as that worked well for The Edge of Night. The SymbolxStorm Cat nick was another one that I used to really like. But I'd pick one of his that wasn't quite so attached to turf.. maybe Hold That Tiger or Van Nistleroy? Umm... I feel funny giving advice to a more experienced player...
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

IsaP wrote: It looks like Declan's Moon crossed well with Charm. Another one to think about is someone down from Seeking The Gold, as that worked well for The Edge of Night. The SymbolxStorm Cat nick was another one that I used to really like. But I'd pick one of his that wasn't quite so attached to turf.. maybe Hold That Tiger or Van Nistleroy? Umm... I feel funny giving advice to a more experienced player...
I was never a very good breeder, though. Most of my good horses were bred by the Stew.

I appreciate the advice a bunch!
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

I wanna help! But, ya' know, it's like 7:30 so it's almost bedtime. Tomorrow! :D
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

If you've got some time, drop me an IM (sn RicoDaBone on AIM), its sometimes easier for me to talk via IM rather than put together a coherent post, I keep getting distracted when writing long MB posts!

From my perspetive, you're right on the money with the Em's Always Busy x No Matter What cross. I've taken a few digs at people this year for not looking past their own stallions when they weren't the best options available for the mare, but when you've got a horse like Em's Always Busy that is such an established stallion sitting around, there's no better choice and no reason to spend money on her. Savor (Em's Always Busy x Cherish [Symbol]) is my current poster-child for why Em's Always Busy/Symbol works well.

Beyond Venus is another horse that one needen't jump through hoops trying to cross. If you own her because you like Saudi Poetry, may as well come to what works and go with a Storm Cat horse. Serena's Song in the female family of Grand Reward helps this one, you did a good job here.

I don't much like the Onwardsilvercharm x Danzing Cat, soooo consider this a belated warning not to give up on the mare just because the 2yo sucks. Danzing Cat strikes me as a very turf mare, what with the Storm Cat/Danzig, and Wally is certainly not turf and from my perspective a chronic underachiever as a stallion. Sorry to bash you stallion, I LOVED him as a racehorse but haven't seen him sire like I had hoped, and there are just too many ways to get Silver Charm in a pedigree for me to keep coming back to one that is gonna give me a solid horse but seems to have no chance of giving me a great one. What I'd be looking for with this mare for next year is just some plain vanilla turf miler with talent: Here Indeed has a family that crosses REAL well to Storm Cat, and doesn't get the attention he should, or you could go the route of a real-life stallion and look for some Kingmambo blood through a horse like King's Best, or even perhaps some Nureyev blood through a horse like Stravinsky, who would also bring in the Mr. Prospector.

Dito Sky just looks to me like a mare in serious need of your choice of Battle Cry, Gentleman, or Priceless Forever blood, and it probably will pay bigger dividends to breed this mare with an eye towards distance. Horses like Chinese Bandit, For What Its Worth (yes, Sean, do a happy dance), and particularly Enforcer (who brings in all four major lines but has Silver Charm far enough back that I wouldn't be overly concerned) strike me as very appealing prospects for this mare next year. A real life stallion to look at is Desert Warrior, a 1/2 brother to Battle Cry. Mineshaft or Vindication would bring in the Slew blood that Priceless Forever would bring in and may be interesting too.

More to come shortly, drop me an IM if you get around to it and want help.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

I think No Matter What should visit Villain next year. :lol:
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

I went for those others hadn't addressed...

Do As I Please - I came to a few options, but I think you might be throwing some darts here anyway. The Pike Place Dancer line is one, based on the success of the Island Rescue/PPD cross (Pi Kappa Dancer). Another thought is Exit, whose dam had the excellent Reel by Island Rescue, and the Loki Flame/Priceless Forever is appealing as well. Giacomo is my final idea. IR/Holy Bull's worked well before... I have no idea what Giacomo will sire, but I think they might like turf.

Northern Secret - FUN! Same cross as all the Charm/Lady's Secret freaks, so there's quite a bit to go with there. My first thought was Compelling, bringing in Sunday Silence with a promising young sprint sire. There are a few other ways to go, but I must run...
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

MalloryGuesnon wrote: I think No Matter What should visit Villain next year. :lol:
-scratches chin- I have no problems with that... Hmmmm...

I'll mark that down in my notes.