Breeding Suggestion

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I own Dancethruthedawn, a half-sister to Rain Dancer by Mr. Prospector. She has two foals so far, Storm's Twilight (by Storm Cat - this breeding was done with more of an eye to her future breeding, than racing, career), who is a multiple stakes winner on both surfaces, and Into Glory (by Gaze Unwavering), a stakes winner at two.

At the end of the old sim, I was looking to breed Dancethruthedawn to a Rain Dancer line stallion. I really liked the idea of getting two crosses to Dance Smartly through different daughters. I'll admit that Ara's success with Jet Ski played a part in it, but I do buy into the concept that just as you might want to go 3x4 or 4x4 to a certain sire, you also might want to do that for a very influential dam.

Fast forwarding two years to the present, when looking at sons of Conduit, I really like Atlas (ignoring the fact that he's Atlas) in terms of how the pedigrees would cross, with the possible exception of that 2x6 to Mr. P., but it's kind of hard to get away from Mr. P. blood when looking at Conduit sons. Storm's Twilight has been a stakes winner on both dirt and turf, so that ties in well, and I really like the addition of A.P. Indy and Glorious Song to the mix.

That said, I hadn't done that much breeding by the time the sim ended, at least with better than average horses, so I'm open to suggestions if another stallion with Rain Dancer blood would be a better match or bring something different to the table. I think this would be a fairly sound foal, but again, it's been a while. If it all looks good, I'm fine with no replies to this post, as I've really tried to think this one out, but I'm always willing to take some advice if there's something I'm failing to consider, or another stallion I'm overlooking. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Laura
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

If I owned her, I'd be sending her to either Atlas or Loki Dynasty, because of the inbreeding to Rain Dancer and to Mr. Prospector. As for soundness, Rain Dancer was very sound and so was Conduit. About the only horse in the game sounder than Atlas was Sports Jersey. You have no soundness worries whatsoever with either of the above stallions crossed with your mare.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

I love Rain Dancer and plan to breed to Canute, whose name is cute. And that rhymes. Yeah. But here's the thing: three years have jaded my opinion on inbreeding to horses appearing in the 2nd generation of pedigrees. This is not necessarily a hard-and-fast, and I supposed it could still work, but I plan on feeling out the SIM's take on inbreeding a little bit more carefully than potentially wasting a breeding to a good mare on it. So there's 2 things I could tell you:

1) I'd like it if you tested a Conduit son, just for selfish purposes. If it works, it could work in a big way, plus it would speak volumes towards the possibility of inbreeding involving something closer than 3x3.

2) The above notwithstanding, its a risk. You'd be safer with a Seattle Slew line horse. Vindication or Mineshaft fit. Run a hypo mating on Rain Dancer, her best foals not named Conduit or Chute are largely by Seattle Slew line stallions (The Natural, Priceless Forever). Tremendous is a gorgeous cross, I very much like that one too. I'm a big, big fan of Tremendous, he generally does good things.

That is all.