Storming Again

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Matt Woolfolk
Classic Contender

Post by Matt Woolfolk »

I created this boy in week 15. He won his 1st start at 7furlongs under a hand ride at Churchill. Naturally, since I have a colt that looks like he could be something, I have a very very tiny case of Derby fever. But before this case grows, I would like someone to help me out. He is by Awesome Again by a Storm Cat mare. I did some research, and one of Awesome Again's best dirt distance horses was of this same relative cross. Does Storming Again have the breeding to go classic distances, or is he a sprinter? Is possibly trying a Stake in week 1 too much for him? If a stake is ok, which one?

I know this is asking a lot, but I would really appreciate any advice from the experienced folks out there.

Thanks,
Nathan
Award winning journalist and record-setting trainer
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

Yes, he has the pedigree. but I'm wondering if he might not be better on turf... you could try the turf Grand Slam (the races are all existant on the SIM, right?) instead.
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

My impression of this pedigree is that your horse is probably a sprinter, at least based on my way of thinking about Awesome Again and Storm Cat as they tended to sire in the old SIM. Generally, Awesome Again was primarly a sprint sire with a few exceptions that could stretch out, and Storm Cat was primarily a turf sire with a few exceptions that were dirt sprinters, and even fewer exceptions that were dirt classic-distance horses.

Add to that the fact that your horse is behind the 8-ball in terms of earnings to make the Derby field, and its worth trying to stretch him out, but realize you're looking at a longshot. Were he my horse, I'd try him in a 1m allowance Week 3, the Derby Trial Week 6, and then test something like the Swaps in the summertime, possibly the Queen's Plate if he shows he wants to go longer. That said, I also have the Derby favorite sitting in the barn so its a little easier to pass up a Derby contender, I'd see the rationale from your point of view in trying a 2-4 Derby prep schedule and seeing if you can earn the money to get in.
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

Awesome Again might have become more of a distance sire with the Sim reset since he has thrown some nice distance horses IRL. I would say race no earlier than week 2 (Eric's suggestion of a mile allowance is perfect). If he dominates, start thinking of a Week 5 1 1/16 mile stakes race (two to choose from). If he wins that, you could try to point for the Swaps or Peter Pan in Week 8, or the Belmont in Week 9. Lots of "if" in there, but it is good to have Triple Crown hopes, just don't get married to KY Derby hopes.

Daryl
Matt Woolfolk
Classic Contender

Post by Matt Woolfolk »

Thanks guys. I was not married to the Derby, I just thought that there was a small chance he might be able to do it. I will definitley take it slow with him. I do not want to ruin him trying for the Derby when he may be better suited fgor something else like some real life owners *coughKeyedEntrycough*. Thanks again for all your help and advice. Look for Storming Again down the road.

Nathan
Award winning journalist and record-setting trainer
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

Well, rookies aren't the only ones who "marry" Derby hopes only to get burned. I did the same thing with Waverider this year and totally screwed up what could have been a very nice year for him. Good luck with Storming Again!

Daryl
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Nathan, Keyed Entry is a PERFECT comparison to what I think your horse has the potential to be, but the counterpoint (to play devil's advocate to my own suggestion) would be a horse like Ghostzapper, who as an Awesome Again with early foot was nonetheless able to go 1 1/4 in blistering time. Stretch your horse out slowly and carefully, and when he tops out, he tops out. See how far he can take you.

That said, if he tops out as a very high-class miler, there's always the BC Dirt Mile! Take a look at Strongerable for an example of a horse that was built for a race like that and excelled once I gave up my delusions of getting him to go 1 1/4 miles.