How successful have geldings been in the SIM?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Krystle Yanagihara
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Krystle Yanagihara »

I'm just curious because they're hardly ever mentioned. So, any famous ones in the SIM history?
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

Just Eric.

I keed I keed.

That is for the USC comment...we are even. Actually, Eric probably knows more Sim history off the top of his head than anyone this side of the Steward. I figured this sore of baiting would lure him into making a valuable and informative post. I have also wondered the exact same thing.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Sometimes I think he knows MORE than I do. There's a reason he goes to Princeton and I'm a Louisville drop out and current non-scholastic bum!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

I have ADD and constantly have to ask Em if I already knew various facts I come across.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

If I remember properly, there were at least one or two good geldings, but they didn't take off simply because people wouldn't geld their horses. I can't access the SIM right now to be sure of this, but I really think there were at least one or two. I've got the feeling that a LOT of hores would have benefitted from this (read: Storm Cat line horses?), as its usually used in real life to calm down an overly studdish and aggressive horse, making them easier to handle on a day to day basis (and thus train).

I'm not 100% positive of this, but I think that there are a ton of geldings in the new SIM to make an attempt at restricting, at least initially, the flood of new stallions. I'd lay money that this hasn't affected their ability, its just a tool to prevent ridiculous growth of the stallion population before there are tracks to support it.

Anyway, when the SIM comes back up, I can look into the accomplishments of geldings, but I'd suggest that everyone pay close, close attention to their running lines as the SIM starts up and possibly make a little bit more use of the gelding feature.

Your resident eunuch,
Eric
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Rightio then, I was having major issues remembering who it was that was a good gelding, and I kept thinking it was Yokoa Cat, but I know he has offspring, so Em finally realized who I was talking about and gave me the name I was looking for. Proskoa was a gelding, he won more than $3,000,000 and was a very good older horse.

-The Eunuch
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Havoli!!! Although I think he was gelded later in his career.

I've had several good geldings, nothing star quality, but they're useful and lovable. I fully endorse geldings. Haha.
Lisa Lange
Two Year Old

Post by Lisa Lange »

Same here, I had gelded one or two horses that ran better after being gelded. They were usually allowance horses.