Del Mar 8/20 Contest

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

Hmm, I switched from Super Frolic to Lava Man right after the first race, if it's legal.
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
Tasha Langley
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tasha Langley »

I am so sick of seeing horses I love break down and/or die left and right. My favorite horse in race 1 Yessiremychickadee broke down. *shakes head sadly*
Rivendell Acres
Home to...

Aupollo - $1,000
Dreams Never Die - $10,000
King of Jesters - $35,000
Left Behind - $10,000
Sounds of Victory - $7,500
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

It was an ugly breakdown, luckily she didn't suffer long.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Tasha Langley
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tasha Langley »

<=( RIP Chickadee :( :(
Rivendell Acres
Home to...

Aupollo - $1,000
Dreams Never Die - $10,000
King of Jesters - $35,000
Left Behind - $10,000
Sounds of Victory - $7,500
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

Looks like the switch to Lava Man got Peihe the win. Nice job! I counted Emily Mitchell and myself with 3. I had one scratch (Awesome Feat) and the winner of that race ticked at just shy of favorite status. Close.

***Begin off-topic rant***
However, it was nothing compared to how close I came in a poker tourney this evening. A hand that crippled me would (should, but it is poker, so 'would' is a better word choice) have made me the clear chip leader in the tourney with 15 people left (150+ starters). I was in decent position, but blinds had gone way up so I needed to pick a spot and play some cards. Someone moved all-in (way out of position, so I figured he had a low to middling pair) in front of me (pre-flop), I moved all-in and the two of us were called by a third (that scared me). We all had about the same # of chips. I had A-K suited basically a coin flip hand against any other hand in poker except a pair or K's or A's. And if they don't have a pair, it is dominating. Since blinds were huge (about 1/4 what the average stack had), it is a no-brain call. The others had pairs (of course)...8's and J's. J's were ahead, but I looked very good with the live cards and the flush possibility. Math percentages put the J's and the A-K suited at about a 40-45% chance to win each, and the 8's are maybe 10%). Flop pairs my A which puts me with only 4 possible cards in the deck that can beat me (i.e. 85+% to win). A blank on the turn, (now I am 90+%) but a J comes on the river and I was sunk. Ouch. A good poker hand either way, as the J's were a tough call with two all-ins in front of him. The bummer isn't the loss, it is that given how tight I play, I would have coasted to the top five. There were only two others left in the tourney that I wasn't getting reads off of that still had a decent chip stack. Nobody else concerned me. Payout for 5th was $750 and 1st was @3000. Payout for 15th was $0 :)
***End off-topic rant***

-Daryl
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Ok... I understood none of that, so let's see if we can clairify... did you win, Daryl?
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Isa, that would be a no, he did not win. He ended up in 15th (which is still pretty good in that size field). I have watched enough poker to understand all that. He was the heavy favorite going into the final turn (well as far as he knew), but at the last second the long shot closed in and beat him to the wire. Not only that, but he lost all them marvelous chips too. Mmmm chips.

Congrats to Peihe! ;)
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

Dave is exactly right. I should have used my "Poker to English" dictionary to translate :) Tough loss given the stakes, but that is poker. Still, my entry was only $50, so it was a nice run in a decent sized field. My goals every time I sit are to finish in the top 10%, and earn the respect of any pros or serious players at my table. So far the high finishes have happened all but a few times. There was a pro (semi-recognizable to fans as he has been on TV a handful of times on the WPT) at my table yesterday that was the first to come over and shake my hand after the tough beat. That was almost worth the beat :)

-Daryl
Janey Adams
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Janey Adams »

Daryl, do you play poker on Paradise poker, Bodog, or somewhere else? I play alot of Paradise. Its fun. I do alot of "Freemillion" Tounamenets. The best I ever finished was 46th outa 1500+.
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

I play around a bit online for practice (just to see lots of hands and check my math), but I don't/won't gamble online for money. I am the same way with horse races. For me, it just isn't much fun if it isn't live. There is something about seeing a person's face when you outplay them that just makes my day :)

46 out of 1500 is a nice result, though. Lots of staying power and little to no mistakes in order to get that far.

-Daryl
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

Wow! never expected to win another one. =) Super Frolic was apparently training great, but after a night of serious agonizing (lol) I decided Lava Man was better and hoped that Preach' wouldn't go all out on the lead.
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

I don't gamble in general because I'm BAD at it