What's It Like?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I know races haven't started yet, so maybe you don't remember, but what is it like to play the SIM? What do you think about? How much time are you on it? What do you do when you're away from it? What do you like best? What do you wish was different?

I want to know, because I for one will never ever know what it's like to play the SIM.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Well, that was kind of sad! Haha.

The SIM...sort of lingers in the back of your mind, throughout the day. I don't spend a TON of time actually on the SIM - although part of that is probably due to the fact that the racing has not yet commenced. I probably think about names the most. I'll think of good names when I'm driving to school, etc. Sometimes they make me laugh.

I'm hoping my obsessive state peaked last time around, because quite frankly I already slack off enough in school and don't get enough sleep. I couldn't handle it anymore! :blink:
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Last night:

What I was supposed to be doing: Paying attention to my Chemistry professor going on about acids and bases or something. For three hours.

What I was actually doing: Thinking about Atlas and Banner and Map and who I'm going to breed everyone to and who I want to buy and what races I'm going to point Comet and Chart towards, and all the upcoming babies, and how I want a Lady's Secret line horse, and how all my horses trace to Storm Cat and Loki, and how I miss Conduit. Eventually I gave up and just started texting Em and Steph. For three hours.

What I am supposed to be doing now: Practicing piano and working on my Chemistry.

What I am actually doing right now: Posting on the SIM forum and staring at my new Icon x Pure Symmetry filly, Diorama.

You're going to make me fail out of school, Em. :angry:
Sara Kendall
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Sara Kendall »

What I am doing right now.....contemplating on who to breed Folklore to lol. :)
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Breed her to Atlas. :)
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

The vast majority of the time I am on my computer (which is a LOT), I am on the SIM, researching pedigrees, or contemplating breedings for the SIM. I love the SIM :D

When away from my computer, I tend to mention SIM things to friends- who tend to roll their eyes. I saw a commercial the other day and they said the word "Conduit" and I immediately thought of all things SIM. I can relate most words to the SIM now, actually. And when someone says something catchy, I think (sometimes outloud) "Hey, that would make a great horse name!"

My favorite thing is breeding winners... especially in the old SIM where my stable was largely full of crap. Now I have tons of PRETTY horses, which makes me uber excited :)

Oh yeah, the SIM is my homepage. :ph34r:
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Hey Emily (Mitchell), I think Banner's going to Bago next year. :)
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

What I should be doing now: working but since I don't have anything to do or at least I don't think so I am trying to look busy chatting with Em, Sara, and anyone else who comes along, posting on the forum, researching lines, watching the sales page for any turf horse that catches my eye, admiring MTT's new filly by Atlas and wondering how she will run when she is of age, looking at Tears of the Stars and wondering if she will continue her undefeated streak and go on to surpass her dam.

WHen I am away from the sim(I actually am suppose to go away from time to time (LOL)). I do think more about the lines that cross well and I think about the coming races and wonder who will go where.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

ooooooh, Banner

I think Bago is drooling B)
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I enjoy it. I actually print out several items, so that I don't constantly have to log on and look up the same stuff over and over again. I've been on it a lot this past week, looking at horses, sales pages, relearning names and pedigrees, etc.

Once the newness of this all settles down, and racing gets underway, I'll spend less time on it, but I'll still pick random moments to think of pedigree crosses and names. I think this go-round is going to be different, but I appreciate how much better my stable is right now, especially after slowly working my way up to having some decent horses and stakes winners towards the end of the old sim.

I have to say, one of the things I like most about this game, and if you are a new player, keep this in mind whenever you feel like a have-not - you can work your way up and get the bigger bucks and the better horses, but you have to be willing to do three things

1. Be patient - it won't come in a single sim year (unless you are very lucky and catch lightning in a bottle)

2. Be willing to ask and to listen - many of the more experience players are generous with their advice, and also lend a helping hand from time to time in terms of reduced stud fees, selling off horses and the like, and

3. Be willing to put in a little time. Don't let people scare you off - I don't think you have to be on the sim 24/7 to improve your stable, but five minutes a week won't cut it either. There's a happy medium in there somewhere. Things like taking the time to look for a race with fewer entries to pick up a check, or experimenting with equipment, or figuring out what surface/distance your horse should be running on, can help. Equipment can make a difference. I bought Arresting after her 3/15/2003 race. At that time, she'd only won a maiden race. I experimented with equipment and distance, and managed to win a pair of good stakes with her. If you have a nice horse, you want to place it well, as running it over its head will discourage it, even when you later drop it down to the right level. In other words, don't use it as a filler horse in an attempt to pick up a big check in a small field, often in this game, you need to balance the short-term interest against the long-term interest. If you have a bad horse, its easier to make that decision.

Gotta get ready for track practice, but that's my two cents. Laura
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Loki Dynasty is gunna have a fight with Atlas over the good mares.. :P

My favorite part of the sim is it gives me something to think about when I'm mucking stalls.. All my BEST names/cross come to me when I'm forking horse poop..

I can SERIOUSLY tell you what stall I was mucking when Faith Justified came to me..
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

I remember starting up with the game after being over at Simsports for quite a while. Working my way up with a lot of hand-me-downs and taking pride the first season in doing quite well at the Claiming Crown races. The next few seasons saw an upswing towards the Maryland Million (dominating the second time through it). Things were all starting to come together, I had some nice runners and had built up a nice broodmare band.

I like researching the bloodlines, though I am sure Em can tell you that my moments of brilliance are interrupted by (more) moments of sheer incompetence. That said, I am planning this season much the way I planned as a rank newbie. This might seem odd because I have a good bankroll, but my strategy is still going to be all about picking up checks, gathering good mares, looking for auction bragains, and trying to breed a monster.

That said, the early game money is at a premium, so I encourage all of you to donate donate donate. Honestly, if I was brand new and only had 50k in the bank, I would buy all of the horses I could and ignore the first auction. There are some great crosses in the auction, and like Em's signature says: her yearlings are better than ours. However, the competition will be fierce, and you may miss out on your picks even with high bids. Besides, the sale page is packed with nice little horses, all of whom are going to earn back their price tag in a race or two (properly placed of course). That will give you cash for the next few auctions.

We all have our strategies and mine is certainly less ultra hot than most, but I make up for it in other ways :)

-Daryl
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

Humm.. Well the Sim is in the back of my mind constantly...As of right now each moring at work the first thing i do is tell Stephany(shes a co-worker who hasent ever played a sim game and is planning to join Ems as soon as her comp up and running) how many horses i have and when the next upcoming thing is going to happin..in this mornings case i was telling her about the upcoming auction.. She was really excited when i told her about getting Riskaverse in the horse dispersals..lol or was that me that was so excited...i have told her how much this game has ment to me in the past and have nearly came to tears jsut telling her how awesome it is that we are back....So she asked about it and i told her and so she's planning on joining..then durning the day when im not concentrating on clients i plan out my breeding program as thats where my heart lies..then when i get home i work on names while i do the barn,dinner and excersise time(all the while thinking jsut 10 more minutes and i can kick up the sim...)..humm while im training outside horses i tend to focus on them(until im done,then i can dreams some more)...As soon as all my stuff is done i kick on and pray to god i can get on.....lol.. i guess that the one thing i'd like to see improve(ad yes i'll be kicking money towords the sim on a reg basis)..I could die happy if i never see anotehr User Limit Exceeded!teh maximun number of licenced users are connected.try agian later! ugh my very least favorite saying...If it could ever be done(not by hand,to much work for Em)i'd also like to see more of the written comments after the races.. expecially the Maiden races...And i love the live races we've had in the past and hope to see both them and the chat room again...I could go on all day but gonna see if i can get on to do mroe owrk on my mare/stallion books...