Chat Issue

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Alex Puderbaugh
Hall of Fame

Post by Alex Puderbaugh »

Yeah, that does suck. Maybe next time you start up your computer/Firefox it will work though? Hopefully.
Brianna: I just wanted something with balls.. :D
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Also do make sure you have the very latest Java - it's annoying that just 1 less version can make things not work.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I just tried to enter the new chat for the first time...and Windows won't let me. Say's it can't verify the publisher.

It gives me no choice as to whether or not I wish to proceed....it's just blocked. I tried to go into my tools, security settings and changing a few things but nadda. I can get it where it will not bring up the 'Windows has blocked this site' pop-up, but there's no way of entering the chat...all I get is the chat room page that is blank, or one with a little box in the upper left part of a "frame". I tried restarting my computer too with each change to make sure the changes took effect.

I really wanted to get into the chat room for SC Day and was just going in and seeing about testing the site out today to see how it looked. I'm on my work computer, and can't go making a bunch of changes to the browser and stuff.

At home, I have been able to get into the old chat room on my computer but haven't tested it out with this new chat room version....I have windows on that computer too so I'm not holding my breath that it's going to work.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

There are over 30 people in there right now and 95% of them are on Windows, so it's not that.

It is likely a firewall issue - several people who try to access it from work have had that problem. Email me and I can tell you what "port" to open that will allow chat access.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Thanks for taking time to look into this...I sent you a note...if you can't get to it in the next few days, that's ok.

I should have checked on this weeks ago...not leaving it to the last few days :ph34r: Especially since I know you are busy.

I have to work that Friday, and that chat room is something I may or may not be to find time to get into anyway..depending upon how busy I get that day here at work.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

If any of you are still having trouble with the new chat room, please let us know as many details as possible. Easy things to try are to make sure you have any systems updates that are available. The Chat uses Java. Try any other browsers you may have (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome etc). We have users using each of those browsers successfully. Try different computers. Try different locations.

For some people, firewalls may be the issue. The chat now uses port 8080 and has provisions to work though many firewalls.

Below is a response from the publishers of the Chat program addressing the "can't verify publisher" message. I hope it helps.

Again, any specifics you can convey will help.
If users are getting a message "can't verify the publisher" this is most likely related to Active X.

ActiveX is a Microsoft technology for software components developed for the Windows platform, and is typically used to enable cross-software communication for applications that typically work over the internet through web browsers such as Internet Explorer (IE).

Many of Microsoft's Windows applications use ActiveX controls which are designed to be downloaded and executed from web browsers. Internet Explorer allows the ActiveX controls to be embedded inside web pages and cautionary messages are displayed to advise you of the presence of these controls.

This is a security feature as some sites you may visit can have Malware, such as computer viruses and spyware hidden within a web page, which is sometimes distributed as ActiveX applets in web pages.

If this message is displayed when the AddonChat chat room attempts to load, you can simply select to allow the browser to display and load this program as it is safe to do so and is just an application.

Also, are the users who are still having difficulty accessing the chat room connecting from a company/office/school environment which could have a very strict firewall in place restricting access?
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Works for me now -- it was the Java issue. Thanks! :)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Jonathan Bolt
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Jonathan Bolt »

I was able to enter the chat at the beginning but now I just get a white screen with my name and it saying Sucess. Logging in but it doesn't bring up the chat. I made sure I had the most recent update for Java.
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

I'm pretty sure it was a firewall issue for me (I have yet to try logging into chat from home). The message I was getting just said unable to connect or something along those lines. I just tried again and was able to get in this morning.

Of course, I'm at work so I should be, you know, working....
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I went home last night and logged in on my home computer and came back here today and checked my Java here...because my settings in the active x part of my interenet tools looked similar on both computers.

I had Java on this computer, but when I tested it on the Java site, it looks like it wasn't installed properly, so I downloaded again and it took - I was able to get into the chat room a few minutes ago.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

So far, it seems that Jonathan Bolt is the only one still having a problem. That is mostly good news (other than for Jonathan). Anyone else still having trouble? Please reply.

Jonathan, the next thing to try it to clear your browser's cache. Here is a link from that Chat site that gives instructions on how to clear your cache.
<a href='http://support.addoninteractive.com/ind ... &article=2' target='_blank'>Howto Clear Browser Cache</a>

Let us know if this helps or not. There are always more things to try.
Jonathan Bolt
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Jonathan Bolt »

That didn't seem to help I almost think it must be my computer
Doug Kidwell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Doug Kidwell »

I have the same problem is Jon Bolt. I have tried IE, Firefox, and Chrome. It is something to do with my firewall. I even have port 8080 listed as my open ports and I still can't get in. If I turn my firewall off I get in with no problems.
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Well, here's what it says to me on both Windows and Firefox:

Leonard Beagle
Success. Logging in....

and that's it. Nothing, just that phrase stays on the page.

Any suggestions?
Karie McBrian
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Karie McBrian »

me too...

although I have to work today and will just be able to join in for anything left after 11pm EST.... ha.