Won't Back Down

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Won't Back Down

Post by Stormy Peak »

WON'T BACK DOWN:
http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=48706

Well, as of today before tonights races...he holds the title for the fastest 1 mile on a firm turf track for a 2 year old male this year.
This was his race where he clocked in at 1:36:26
http://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=48397

I just did a search with these parameters:
all dates (for this year)
all circuits
all turf
all firm track conditions (being that was what he ran on that day)
all 2 year old males
all maiden, nw2, nw3, allowance and stakes.

I left out the claiming races, and the softer surfaces...figured times would more than likely be slower for those kinds of races. If I'm wrong in this anyone is welcomed to take a look through them. ;)

I don't know if Won't Back Down will go on to do great things...but I do have high hopes for him. But for now, I'm enjoying the fact that he's done well.

I also love his 'story'. He wouldn't even be around if it wasn't due to Ryen Hanna's generousity. So this is how Won't Back Down came about. :)

I wanted to buy her mare, Mia Principessa - I told Ryen that I had a breeding in mind for her, but Ryen didn't wish to sell her mare.

But she surprised me with a wonderful gift. She told me that if the stallion I was looking at wasn't too expensive, that she would breed Mia Principessa to him and send me the offspring...at no cost.

I told her that the stallion I was looking at was Deathdefying, at $10K and offered to at least pay for the stud fee, but she shrugged that off...and even allowed me to pick the gender, color and name of the foal.

Ryen could have just deleted my emails after saying no about selling the mare, or she could have bred her mare to the stallion I suggested and sold it to me, or someone else, or bred her mare to some other stallion that year. But, instead she was generous and kind about it all....and it works out great for both of us...she gets breeders awards and pride in her mare for foaling such a nice baby (but then Mia Princepessa seems to have several nice babies). And I have a beautiful colt that I would not have had otherwise.

I named Won't Back Down after a Tom Petty song, but also think that it goes nicely with his sire's name, Deathdefying...kind of reminds me of a stuntman or something...about to do something big...and who can't/won't chicken out...lol

I don't know if Won't Back Down will get knocked off his 'fastest 2 year old male at a mile' perch tonight...but even if he does...I'm pretty proud of him.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 15 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Been trying to find time to type out another note about Won't Back Down since the SC race.

He finished 2nd to Sanjaya, but I'm still so proud of this young horse. I just can't wait until next year to see how he'll do.

Right now, he's the only 3 year old son of Deathdefying on Deathdefying's top 15 runners list: 6th at this time.

Over all Standings: He's rated at 5 overall for 3 year old turf males

--------

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: Won't Back Down

Post by Stormy Peak »

Year 23 Week 16.

Well, he finished 3rd in the SC Turf Mile.

BUT... He was beaten by 2 four year olds, and he was the best of the the 3 year olds in the race this time out.

Perhaps next year will be his year - He was 2nd last year in the Juvenile Tuf Mile, 3rd this year in the Turf Mile....maybe 3rd time will be the charm and he'll get 1st next year. *crossing fingers*

I'm still very very proud of Won't Back Down. He's really been a wonderful horse to own.

---
Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Year 25 will be the last racing season for Won't Back Down, then he goes into retirement as a stud. I'm sure he'll enjoy that very much. : )

He didn't get his soft turf on SC day, otherwise, I think he could have finished better than 4th...perhaps, next year if things go right, things will line up for him and he'll win it - if not, he's still has numerous of Graded stakes wins under his belt along with some stakes races....and will have earned well over a million dollars.

One of the things I did want to see him do, was crack that million dollar earnings mark before the end of his 4 year old racing season, which he did....so I'm proud of him for that. :mrgreen:

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Stormy, I have loved Won't Back Down since the beginning of his 2-year-old season. I think you have every reason to be proud of this guy who tries his heart out. Can't wait for him to be at stud!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Happy Trails wrote:Stormy, I have loved Won't Back Down since the beginning of his 2-year-old season. I think you have every reason to be proud of this guy who tries his heart out. Can't wait for him to be at stud!
Thanks for the kind words : )

Other than one race, in which he finished 7th--my fault for shipping him too far and running him too soon--he never finished worse than 3rd, until this year, when he finished 4th in the SC.
I've had a couple of really nice horses so far, Blood Brother, Forewarned, and Canadian Canoe...but none near so nice as Won't Back Down. I'm so looking foreward to this coming racing season...have high hopes he'll keep up the good work and end his career on a high note.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000