1913 Epsom Derby/Suffragette Protest

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

While most Americans are familiar with the suffragette struggle stateside, the British woman's struggle for voting rights is just a footnote in our curriculum. Characterized by violent protests and even terrorist acts, British women were perhaps more enraged by their situation because WWI created a serious shortage of able-bodied men, leaving women to fill their shoes in jobs traditionally filled by men. This caused a major view change in what women were capable of doing, and of course that led to their demands of equal treatment.

Emily Davison was infamous for her attacks on politicians and hunger strikes (and consequent force-feeding by jailors, which led to the Cat and Mouse Act of 1913), but her death commanded international headlines. During the 1913 Epsom Derby, she leapt onto the track. It is unclear exactly what her intent was (suicide was the popular notion of the day, despite the fact that she had bought a return railway ticket), but eyewitnesses claim she was attempting to grab King George's horse, Anmer, by his bridle. Whatever her intent, she was trampled by the colt, and died four days later from skull injuries. Anmer suffered bruised shins, but returned to racing after a layoff.

I'm a history nut, so I thought it was pretty interesting. Maybe I'll start posting "Racing in History" every now and then. Haha. Next up: Shergar gets kidnapped by the IRA (there's one crazy dramatic episode yet to occur in the SIM)!
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Sorry.. but... serves her right for trying to pull down the horse. I respect no one who tries to hurt a person by attacking their animals. I almost attacked the kid who ran into my car on Thursday because my cat was in the back seat. Thankfully, he was boxed and belted in, so he wasn't hurt.. or that kid would have been.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

I don't think she was trying to injure the horse, she was trying to ruin the King's chance of winning a major race while half of his subjects were treated as second-class citizens. I think she was embroiled at the idea the king (and the nation in general) was more concerned with a race than woman's rights.

Your comment would be more appropriate for that guy taking a swing at that one horse a couple years ago.
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

You have seen a horse break down before, no? You've seen a car hit a wall? When you stop something going full tilt, you have a very good chance of hurting it quite badly. I don't condone it on either side of the equation. But that poor horse had no control over who owned it and suffered because of her actions, pure and simple.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

First of all, I'm not a moron, don't talk to me like I am one. Of course I've seen both of those things.

The point WAS: horse racing was such a widely viewed sport and so close to the people that huge historic events/people, such as the suffragette movement, and in Shergar's case, the IRA, targeted it for terrorism.

NOT: I'm glad she died, she deserved it for hurting animals. Many many many many horses were injured and killed in the name of civilization and growth, you may as well say that about every general, every leader, etc. up until very recently in modern history.

If you wanna get down to brass tacks, the Thoroughbred racing industry contributes to the early deaths of so many young horses. But we're all huge fans anyway, keeping the sport of alive...
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Pats Artax... Because he was that horse.. Some * took a swing at and I love him muchly.
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Umm.. never used the term moron. Never directed anything at you, Mallory. Why are you taking such offense? My beef is with the suffragette, not you.
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

Just to point out that this was an act of total desperation - it shows to what lengths the sufragette movement had to go to in order to get their point across given the beliefs that were held at the time in regard to women, voting, inteligence etc.

I find it hard to justify the life of a horse over the human rights over millions of people - just my personal opinion.
Teri Lawrence
Eclipse Champion

Post by Teri Lawrence »

Well, here's my two cents.

First off, I doubt very much that Emily Davidson had seen what happens when somebody grabs a horse's bridle when it's running at full tilt...it's not something a smart person does. I *have* seen it, and it's not pretty.

But while I don't think she fully understood the danger, I also don't condone what she did...she endangered not just herself but the horse and, which people haven't brought up, the jockey, who could *easily* have been killed in that situation... It was an act of violence, and that is never the way to further a cause.
Chinese Wizard - dirt router
Docile - turf sprinter and steeplechaser
Ile de Paris - top turf router
Le Chateau Magique - dirt router
Le Dauphin Noir - turf router and European HOTY
Mid Air Collision - dirt miler
Paris Cubed - turf miler and router
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

Good points Teri, particularly about Emily Davison knowing what happens when you try to stop a horse.

I know I shouldn't but I always found it quite amusing when studying history at school that people just sat in front of trains as they didn't know what would happen or for that matter sat on top of them going into a tunnel.
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Almost forgot the jock there.. which is silly seeing as he's important, too. Very good point, Teri.