Let the stupid questions begin!

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
John X
Two Year Old

Post by John X »

Ok, so I have purchased my first horse. I will probably want to board her at the track. Question is, even though I have a pretty close idea what circuits I want to run in, how do I know what tracks start their meets first, etc?
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

There are no stupid questions. I say that because I was the one asking these only a few seasons ago.

<a href='http://www.turfangels.com/sim/circuits.html' target='_blank'>http://www.turfangels.com/sim/circuits.html</a>

I would suggest boarding at a farm though since it is cheaper. Of course, it just so happens I have one of the cheaper farms around, so if you want to race on the CA circuit, visit Gobruins on the "Racetracks and Farms" page

-Daryl
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Just a note that you now automatically ship to a track when you race.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Emily Loveridge
Two Year Old

Post by Emily Loveridge »

I have a question. Does the board automatically pay each week? Because I don't know how you pay board. And can your horse stay at the Auction Block forever?
John X
Two Year Old

Post by John X »

The Steward wrote: Just a note that you now automatically ship to a track when you race.
Does the horse automatically return to the farm after a race?
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

I would assume that the horse does NOT ship back to the farm after the race. This way, if one plans ahead and carefully choses spots to run their horse back at a track that the horse is already stabled at, it's possible to run without incurring that $1,000 charge EVERY time the horse runs. Farms are cheaper, it is true, but not if you factor in what could come to an extra $7,000-$8,000 in SIM money per year if you pay to ship repeatedly from the farm.

That said, if a horse starts to slump or generally just has been racing for an extented period of time without a longer break (4-5 weeks), a few weeks at the farm may help rejuvinate the horse a little bit and improve its performance. Retired horses, obviously, are cheaper to keep on a farm.
Emily Loveridge
Two Year Old

The Steward wrote: Just a note that you now automatically ship to a track when you race.
Does it cost the $1000?
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Yes, thats why automatic shipping is now in place. It used to be that you could leave a horse at a farm, race it anywhere, and it would reflect as if it had never left the farm. But a shipping charge (and automatic shipping) is more realistic: even if the horse were to race and then return to the farm, there are costs associated with moving a horse to and from the racetrack, as reflected by the $1,000.
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

Will they automatacally ship to each race track or jsut to the first one...I ask becasue that will have a deciding factor in their racing schedules.. andit is more benifical to stay at one track for the meet or move to each one for the diffrent races..
Ingrid
Sprinter

Post by Ingrid »

How long is a year? A RL year or a couple weeks or what? I just bred a yearling and realized I have no idea when I'll be able to race her, lol
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

There are 16 racing weeks in a SIM-year. Then a few weeks off for awards, auctions and setup...then we start a new round. Sadly, your yearling won't see the track for a while.

-Daryl
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

HEY! You forgot the BEST PART of the break between years!

It's when I GET A VACATION!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ingrid
Sprinter

Post by Ingrid »

Daryl Singhi wrote: There are 16 racing weeks in a SIM-year. Then a few weeks off for awards, auctions and setup...then we start a new round. Sadly, your yearling won't see the track for a while.

-Daryl
16 weeks isn't that bad. That's just 4 months, lol ("just"? Eh, I'll focus on 3 months, which isn't that long for me, and then I'll be thinking, "Just one more month.") It's better than 12 months, that's for sure, lol
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

The Steward wrote: HEY! You forgot the BEST PART of the break between years!

It's when I GET A VACATION!
lol, and this is when depression sets in for me.. :P
Emily Loveridge
Two Year Old

What would happen if you never got a stable and kept your horses at the Auction Block the whole time?