What Do Your Horses Look Like To You? (A Headshot Contest)

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Meagan D'Amoure
Eclipse Champion

What Do Your Horses Look Like To You? (A Headshot Contest)

Post by Meagan D'Amoure »

I was driving on the way to town today when I suddenly had an urge to hold a contest. It donned on me, when thinking about Jeb Clampett’s “Horse Whisperer” contest, that I have always viewed my horses in a certain way. It’s what makes them special to me, and whenever I see their name, I do not think of a horse that I cannot see. I put their name with a face. A few examples that I can describe to you of my own and what others say about their horses are:

I view my horse Guacomo as a dapple gray who is mostly light, but darkens at the head, neck, and legs. He also has a large squiggly blaze and floppy ears.

Ian Nicastrin sees his colt, Uys, as being a big, thick muscled roan grey with black points on his muzzle and ears. His eyes are big and wild, and his nostrils are large.

Kira Ravenwood describes One Listens as a beautiful mahogany bay colt with no white markings. His black points are dark as night, and his coat has a lot of dark dapples.

My Paint filly, Lovelovelove, would be sorrel tobiano if Paints had the tobiano option currently. She is a very petite filly with a “babydoll” head and each of her eyes are partial blue eyes. She has a large blaze that stops just before it reaches her eyes, and she has a silver dollar-sized spot in her blaze above her right eye that is in the shape of a heart.

Alex Puderbaugh sees her broodmare, Dhansak, as a little on the short side. She’s a dark gray with dark dapples, and a medium-sized build. She has unruly mane which reflects her personality and the wild streak in her eyes that indicates she’s a fighter.

So you’re probably thinking, “Shut up already, Mea, and tell me what the contest is!” Here are the details:

Mission: The mission, if you choose to accept it, is to produce an illustration of a horse that is in your barn. I gave you an idea of how some members view their horses.. but I want an actual ILLUSTRATION of what you think your horse looks like - not a verbal/written description (you can do a verbal/written description, but it will not be eligible for the prize). It can be a sketch, drawing, cartoon, an actual photograph (you MUST have taken it), a computer-generated drawing, or whatever else you would like. It can be a full-body shot or in the style of a head shot. It must be your work, no matter what.

Guidelines:
1. The horse that you pick must be a horse that is in YOUR stable. (Seriously, you cannot draw someone else’s horse, because that would defeat the purpose of seeing a horse as the horse’s owner.)
2. The horse may NOT already have a headshot. (Again, it defeats the purpose of the contest because overall, Em is God and she is actually the only one who can see a horse.. but this is just for fun. Plus if you use a headshot made by Dave, it disobeys copyright rules.)
3. This illustration can NOT be one that has already been presented to the members on the SIM forum. I know that once upon a time, people were bored over the break and made some freakishly awesome SIMages of their own. That’s all well and good, but I’d like to see new and fresh ideas.
4. You can enter one illustration, you can enter two illustrations, you can enter a bagillion illustrations – I don’t care. (The more illustrations you can pop out, the greater chance you have of winning.)
5. It can be a mixed breed, OR a Thoroughbred. Whichever you would like.

Time Limits and Judging Processes:
The contest will open now. Like, seriously, as SOON as I post this topic, it will be open for submissions. (For details on how to enter, see below.) Submissions will CLOSE on MONDAY: NOVEMBER 17, 2008 at 11:55 PM CENTRAL TIME. That’s 12:55 AM on Tuesday morning for you people that are on the East coast. 10:55 PM on Mountain Time, and 9:55 PM for the people on the West coast. For those who are in other parts of the world.. well.. I have no clue what time it is there when the contest ends.. so, uh, I would say to submit your entries as soon as you get them finished. :)

I will assemble a team of “Judges” to select several submissions, and then I will present them in a poll for the SIM members to vote on. The poll voting will be OPEN on TUESDAY: NOVEMBER 18, 2008 from 12:00 AM CENTRAL TIME (or whatever time I get them up) until WEDNESDAY: NOVEMBER 19, 2008, at 9:00 AM CENTRAL TIME. (Yes, I’m taking advantage of the Steward’s absolutely AWESOME day coming up on the 19th!)

Based on the poll results, I will announce a winner, and the Runner-ups.

(I’m fully aware that this is a short time to do so much, but I’m determined it will happen. And if the time limit to do so is any longer.. well.. you most likely will not keep my attention, and the contest will be forgotten about. And we don’t want that.)

So What Is The Prize?:
The first-place winner will receive a HEADSHOT for any horse that resides in their stable.
The first and second runner-ups will receive 5,000 Game Points apiece.

How To Enter:
Once you create your image/illustration, upload it to a free image hosting site such as Photobucket, webshots, etc. If you do NOT have an account on one of these sites, PM me in the game (not the forums) and I will send you my email address in which you can attach the picture to, and then I will upload it to *my* photobucket. You will need to post the image on the forums so that I can see it. (Honestly, it’s hard to judge anything when I have to flip back and forth between browsers and tabs.)

To post an image within the forum, use the code:
[img](insert%20url%20here)[/img]
(without spaces)

So.. have at it!

(And, just fyi... These.Colors.Rock.My.SOCKS.)
D'Amoure Stallion Station:

Shockfly, The Purple Gentian, Rovin Gambler, Looking Golden, Panty Snatcher, Hes Crazy Pretty, Gunna Rockurworld, Debauchee, A Game Ago, Digital Rendering, Fast Flying Sir, Firemeifyouwanna, Your Jurisdiction, Zachariah.
Greentree Racing
Grade 1 Winner

Re: What Do Your Horses Look Like To You? (A Headshot Contest)

Post by Greentree Racing »

This is a great idea, good luck everyone.

Its funny, however, when I think of my horses, I don't think so much in physical characteristics or colors.

I think of them in terms of personalites they seem to have developed due to their running style/ will to win/ prissy or not about being on mud or a slippery surface/ height/ agility etc.

Some people haven't liked my textual descriptions of my horses, I've written after a bad/ cheesy race, lol. But they ignore the good, almost 'putting on a pedestal' I've done with others lol. Oh well can't please them all, I guess.

Good luck with your contest (& to all the entrants). :)
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

[quote="Meagan D'Amoure"]I
The contest will open now. Like, seriously, as SOON as I post this topic, it will be open for submissions. (For details on how to enter, see below.) Submissions will CLOSE on MONDAY: NOVEMBER 17, 2008 at 11:55 PM CENTRAL TIME. That’s 1:55 on Tuesday morning for you people that are on the East coast. 10:55 on Mountain Time, and 9:55 for the people on the West coast.

thats 12:55 est they are only 1 hour ahead of cst. ;)
Meagan D'Amoure
Eclipse Champion

Jolene Danner wrote:
Meagan D'Amoure wrote:I
The contest will open now. Like, seriously, as SOON as I post this topic, it will be open for submissions. (For details on how to enter, see below.) Submissions will CLOSE on MONDAY: NOVEMBER 17, 2008 at 11:55 PM CENTRAL TIME. That’s 1:55 on Tuesday morning for you people that are on the East coast. 10:55 on Mountain Time, and 9:55 for the people on the West coast.

thats 12:55 est they are only 1 hour ahead of cst. ;)

Er, yeah.. what she said. Thanks for catching that, Jolene! :)

Shockfly, The Purple Gentian, Rovin Gambler, Looking Golden, Panty Snatcher, Hes Crazy Pretty, Gunna Rockurworld, Debauchee, A Game Ago, Digital Rendering, Fast Flying Sir, Firemeifyouwanna, Your Jurisdiction, Zachariah.
Chani Ruzzo
Hall of Fame

Post by Chani Ruzzo »

OMG i have the perfect picture.. mind you i painted it last year.. but when we got standies.. I saw Chandler Bing :) let me go take a picture of my painting.
Gryphon Flight Stud, Home of Stallions: What Would You Do, Heartbrake Hotel, Remembered Soldier, Courageous Angel, Cowboy Builder, Bird Jumper, Touchdown Raiders, Dubai Awesmoness, Sikorsky, Faith in the Child, and Touchdown Dancer.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I've been meaning to try my hand at actually drawing something with my tablet. SO.....I shall try to remember to attempt this contest! :)
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Teri Lawrence
Eclipse Champion

Post by Teri Lawrence »

Okay.

I can't draw to save my life, and I don't have any pictures of Thoroughbreds (that I own the copyright to).

But I did find this girl, and she's close on perfect for my appaloosa Shining Glitter. (Not to mention just being a droolworthy horse in the first place. And no, sadly, I don't own her).

Chinese Wizard - dirt router
Docile - turf sprinter and steeplechaser
Ile de Paris - top turf router
Le Chateau Magique - dirt router
Le Dauphin Noir - turf router and European HOTY
Mid Air Collision - dirt miler
Paris Cubed - turf miler and router
Morgan Jarvis
Miler

Post by Morgan Jarvis »

Here's how I envision Horse Features looking:

Ramey Furney
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Ramey Furney »

Here's how I picture my Quarter Horse Kruytbosch.

And here is All Soul

Sires

Crown Thy King~ Freak Streak~ Fire Strike~ Struck Fire
Malik
Penned in Ink~ corgi
Ghost Pepper

New Sire for Year 47 ~ Sparksfly Wildside
Tasha Langley
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tasha Langley »

Okay, even WITHOUT a prize, these drawing contests are completely up my alley!!!

These are some drawings that I've already done that apply to how I envision my horses, but I'm going to try to do some new ones this week.

Sounds of Victory (Please forgive the Sunday Silence blaze):

Comeback King:
Rivendell Acres
Home to...

Aupollo - $1,000
Dreams Never Die - $10,000
King of Jesters - $35,000
Left Behind - $10,000
Sounds of Victory - $7,500
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

Taken by me, of course.

Finest Wines

Jaccendel
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Callie Anderson
Classic Contender

Post by Callie Anderson »

This is how I view my QH Trixie:

picture (c) by me!
And yes that is my real horse (also QH) Trixie. SHE IS MY GIRL!!!

This is a totally awesome pic that I took at KEE like a year ago and it is how I see No Fear
"We may not have it all together but together but together we have it all"
Morgan Jarvis
Miler

Post by Morgan Jarvis »

Tasha and Ramey, those pictures are AMAZING.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

i LOVE this idea! Especially since I've already started on another of my headshots. :D Except now I'll be under a time crunch to get it out in time.

Thank you Meagan!
Meagan D'Amoure
Eclipse Champion

Awesome entries so far, everyone!

Keep them coming! :)